What fruits do I eat? Are strawberries a NO NO?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What fruits do I eat? Are strawberries a NO NO?

Postby Guest » 11 Jun 2007, 10:27

Hello,
What fruits can I eat? I love melon but I had strawberries this morning so I wonder if they will cause havoc. Also, Necia can I get the fish oil and flax seed in capsule form? Are they a substitute for Colace? When should I take it in the morning or at night? Thanks for all your help. I am using the A&D ointment at night so maybe it will help.
BBG
Patty

Re: What fruits do I eat? Are strawberries a NO NO?

Postby Guest » 11 Jun 2007, 12:54

Hey Patty,
I think strawberries should be fine. I know they have those tiny little seeds on the outside but I have never known them to bother me. Honestly I can't think of any fruit that would be off limits though I know melon can cause loose stools in some people.
Yes, you can get the flax seed/fish oil in capsules. I use Fisol fish capsules because they break down in the small intestine so you don't get that fishy taste in your mouth. I don't really have any recommendation on the flax seed capsules but I would go with organic if possible. I take the fish oil in the morning and flax seed in the evening. You might not and probably don't need as much as I do starting out. I have built up a "tolerance" over time and take more than I used to.
Hope that helps!
Lecia
Instead of colace I take an aloe vera capsule.

Postby SunshineHope » 11 Jun 2007, 15:57

I've been eating strawberries pretty regularly because it's the season, and they haven't bugged me. I remember reading somewhere that grapes may cause burning loose BM's for some people, but they usually are fine for me. I know bananas make it a bit harder for me to have a BM, so I just took those out of my diet. I love peaches & plums, they help me have more soft BM's.
Aloe vera capsules - wow. I need to getme some of those. I love aloe vera.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 11 Jun 2007, 18:22

I eat strawberries every day. Love them. I haven't noticed them causing any problems.
Pears are high in fiber, so they're a good choice. I'm not a big pear fan, but I like to throw them in a blender with other fruit (like strawberries and such) and make a delicious fruit blended drink. Having one right now.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Jun 2007, 18:26

Wow, I LOVE strawberries. I used to pick them in my Grandmother's garden and eat them on the spot (what do little kids know, right?)
But I hate to throw cold water on such a delicious and nutritious fruit that I think is probably great for AF -- I have read the type pesticide used on most commercial strawberries renders them a bit unsafe if you eat too many...Kinda like fish and mercury...
Deleted User 5

Postby dano » 11 Jun 2007, 20:26

i eat strawberries,watermelon,raisins and grapes and havent had any problems with them...yet....
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby happyass » 13 Jun 2007, 01:05

i love blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, asian pears, pink lady apples, mac apples, tangerines, white/red seedless grapes, prunes, raisins, dried apples, bananas.
i love to stew apples and i guess i can stew the pears too!!!!!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby SunshineHope » 15 Jun 2007, 00:55

I was wondering everyone, is it bad to eat "hard" fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots, celery, green/red pepper, etc.? I used to eat carrots everyday but stopped out of fear and am not sure if I can start again or not.
I figured it may be bad because we're told not to have nuts because they don't digest properly/are too hard. My only veggie servings now are if my mom or I make stirfry or cooked vegetables in veg dishes - otherwise I pretty much have no raw veggies (unless, of course, I'm having salad with cucumber/tomatoes/lettuce).
Do ya think it's okay to have those types of veggies/fruits?
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Jun 2007, 05:43

I think it is OK to a point. I would not eat Raw vegetables all the time, just occasionally. You should be fine. As for the fruit, I think you would be OK to eat any of them raw. I have read about people who avoid apples, but I can't really see why. They are a bit on the crunchy side, but shouldn't remain that way as they pass through your digestive system.
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 15 Jun 2007, 11:14

It depends on where you get the strawberries, just like it depends on what type of fish and where you get this fish. Strange that no one talks about the mercury in shrimp, seeing as the contamination is so high in those little bugs because they eat off the ground where everything settles.... :rabbit:
Anyway, strawberries, especially from local farmers, should be fine unless you have an allergy to them. I eat them a lot when they are in season and get them from a local grower whose workers don't have to wear gloves to pick the berries because of the pesticides. The cherries from the northwest US are good and in season now too--though they seem to effect me like prunes, if you know what I mean. Also, citrus is good and high in fiber. It is now valencia orange, ruby red, and white grapefruit season. Yum!!
oh, and I do eat plenty of raw veggies. celery with almond butter is delicious and rich in insoluble fiber. Well chewed carrots are good too. they don't seem to cause me any problem...bran on the other hand doesn't seem to agree with me. I guess it's an individual thing.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67