Healed: Botox + Lactulose

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Healed: Botox + Lactulose

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 26 Dec 2008, 13:01

Hey, everyone. It's been a looooooong time since I posted here, but I wanted to update everyone now that enough time has passed and I can confidently say that I'm healed. I did it through Botox and Lactulose.
MY STORY:
I noticed minor bleeding for about 2 years. It was misdiagnosed a couple times (as hemorrhoids and then psoriasis). I didn't give it much thought because it didn't bother me much. Then by 2007, I started noticing more bleeding, and finally one day got really constipated after being under a lot of stress and eating a big, spicy meal -- and tore myself open even worse. For the next 8 months, I tried to heal it on my own, going to 4 different CRSs. I tried suppositories, sitz baths, saltwater sitz baths, metamucil, A&D ointment, a variety of dietary restrictions (no meat, no dairy, high fiber), drinking lots of water, exercising, squatting on the toilet, diltiazem, colace, various supplements (like fish oil). Nothing seemed to work -- at least not consistently. Sometimes I healed for a few days, or a week, but eventually I just kept tearing myself open. My symptoms included: prickly/sharp pain during bm, feeling like the bm was too big and I was plugged up, difficulty passing stool, bleeding -- long streaks of blood on the stool and patches of blood (nickel and even quarter-size) on the toilet paper, water in the toilet discolored pink from blood on rare occassion, burning/itching/irritation from the anus periodically throughout the day. I did not experience bad spasms like other people have described. At one point, my doc noticed that a second fissure had appeared on the opposite side of my anus.
In January 2008, after considering all of my surgical options, I decided to get Botox, which my 4th CRS suggested as a good option. She also put me on lactulose -- an osmotic laxative (a relatively harmless laxative). The name of the lactulose was Kristalose. I took one 10gram powder packet mixed with water every morning. At night, I also took a tablespoon of Milk of Magnesia. The combination of the kristalose and MOM helped keep my stool relatively soft.
By March 2008, my doc said I was 50% healed, although I wouldn't have guessed it because I was still bleeding and experiencing pain. I received a second set of shots in March. By the end of April my doc said I was completely healed. I wasn't convinced -- it had definitely improved but in the next few months, I had a few episodes where I felt like i tore myself open and experienced a lot of bleeding.
Now it's late December 2008. Occassionally I see minor spotting of blood on the toilet paper, but the heavy pain and bleeding that I used to experience are gone. And they've been gone for about 6 months. I slowly phased out the MOM, and then the lactulose, but not until recently.
So I'd say I'm healed for now. For me, I think the cause was constipation and the root cause of that was a poor diet and unhealthy lifestyle including too much alcohol and stress and not enough exercise. That was causing large, knotty stool.
To combat the constipation I still do the following: exercise regularly including aerobic exercise, eat less meat and dairy, eat more high fiber foods, eat more fruit/veggies, drink lots of water, drink less alcohol. I think I'm naturally more susceptible to AF (which would account for the fact that I still have minor bleeding every now and then -- probably small new acute fissures that open up and then heal quickly)
In conclusion... I'm amazed that my big fissures healed. I never thought they would. AF can really beat you down psychologically. Best of luck to everyone out there suffering with it. Hope you all feel better soon!!!!!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Re: Healed: Botox + Lactulose

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 26 Dec 2008, 13:26

Oh...and a BIG BIG THANK YOU to everyone on here for all your tips, suggestions, and most of all -- moral support!!! You all helped me through a rough time.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 26 Dec 2008, 14:03

Steve,
I am glad for you that all is quiet on the anal front!! Image
Last edited by cherylk on 26 Dec 2008, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby happyass » 26 Dec 2008, 16:53

congrats steve!!!!
yeeeee....a wonderful story to close out 08 and start 09 with a new happy butt!!!!!
excellent....
happy holidays,
happy
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Corsi » 27 Dec 2008, 04:13

Good for you Steve Image I love healing stories!
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 27 Dec 2008, 19:41

So great to hear from you. Thanks for sharing your healing story here. It will be such an inspiration to our members and lurkers out there who are suffering and wondering if there is an end to the butt madness.
Congratulations and best wishes, Steve! We are so happy for you! Image

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2008, 10:22

Love this news !!!
2 shots hey!! Gives great hope to us all – Thank you for sharing and updating Steve !
Heres to 2009 and better bums Image
Steve - Do you think you would like to vote on the botox poll ??
http://anal-fissure.org/considering-surgery-or-already-had-it-f1/botox-poll-t1291.htm?highlight=botox+poll
I would like to vote but I am awaiting another shot first ..

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 09 Jan 2009, 17:00

Thanks for your well wishes, everyone! Best of luck in 09!!!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist