Aloe Vera

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Aloe Vera

Postby Guest » 28 May 2007, 06:36

I would use both. Maybe try one on top of the other and see which feels better. The diltiazem doesn't have any inherent healing properties like the aloe vera but it will help your anal muscles to relax so more blood flow can reach the fissure. Yes, I found it irritating on the skintag as well! But you're right the aloe felt pretty good!

Postby SunshineHope » 28 May 2007, 23:37

i tried that today and it was less irritating (to apply aloe vera first, then diltiazem a little while after). I also tried putting the diltiazem a little farther away from the skin tag area.
It'd be so great if someone did a research study on what aided healing more - direct application of aloe vera, or direct application of diltiazem/other such medication
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 May 2007, 05:51

It'd be so great if someone did a research study on what aided healing more - direct application of aloe vera, or direct application of diltiazem/other such medication
Sounds like a good excuse to apply for some grant $$$!!
Deleted User 5

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 10 Jun 2007, 18:39

I read about someone taking aloe sitz baths at the link below...
http://boardsailor.com/jack/af/patient_6.htm
I'm not exactly sure how you do it though...buy pure aloe juice and mix it in with your warm water?
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Jen » 06 Feb 2009, 20:07

Lecia -
After you told me Aloe Vera has a mild laxative effect, I went out and bought some today. Do you take it everyday? I read on the bottle that you should not use it longer than a week because of a risk of dependence issue. I was just wondering your opinion on all of this.
How many mg do you take?
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2009, 07:54

Hi Jen,
Yes, I take it everyday. The capsules usually come in 25 mg strength. I would start with one a day and see how you do. I haven't really worried about dependence in my case as I know I will be dependent on somethings for the rest of my life in order to get by since i have the nerve damage. But I can understand that others aren't so accepting of just taking supplements. If you are constipated it would be worth a try. I don't think dependence would come using it from time to time and in small doses I think you could evey take it every day.

Postby Jen » 09 Feb 2009, 09:48

Tootie -
Your so funny! Your avatar and that tootie cat are cracking me up!
Where do you buy the 25 mg? I just looked at my bottle and it says 550 mg! Wow - that is a huge difference. I just bought mine at the grocery store, and it was the only kind they had. I am not taking it now, I caught a bug and I have runny stools anyway.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2009, 09:54

Wow 550 mg! I got mine from drugstore.com. It is the GNC variety. But I have also gotten some from Walmart at that strength. Make sure you get the liquid caps and not the leaf.

Sorry to hear about your bug-that makes me want to sit on that potty seat in my mustache and poop!

Postby Jen » 10 Feb 2009, 15:55

Toots -
I am actually not sure if I have a bug - I am afraid the aloe pill did this to me! My pill is a capsule and it say the latex & leaf...Do you know anything about aloe latex? I may throw these pills away.
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2009, 15:57

I would stop. I don't know anything about the latex and the leaf. I just use the juice. Are you still pooping?