Nifedipine: No pain, but bleeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nifedipine: No pain, but bleeding

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 30 Jun 2007, 12:22

I've been taking Nifedipine for the last 4 days. It seems to have reduced the pain/discomfort...even before taking it, I felt like my pain/discomfort had been lessening...I would just be getting occasional discomfort / slight burning every now and then throughout the day. Then after taking the Nif for a few days, the discomfort reduced even more...I would hardly even notice it at all.
Then last night, after going to dinner and getting back late, I had a constipated BM, and OH MAN, it was ugly. It was the most blood I've ever discharged. There was only one other time that was similar (the time that prompted me to go back to my doctor 7 weeks ago. But this time, there was not that much pain afterwards (unlike the previous time when I burned for much of the rest of the day).
I'm wondering if the Nifedipine, becaue it increases blood flow to the area, can make a re-tear bleed much worse than it normally would.
Or maybe it actually was a really bad retear and the Nifedipine just reduced the pain afterwards.
I'm gonna call my CRS on Monday but I was curious if anyone else has had this experience.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Re: Nifedipine: No pain, but bleeding

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2007, 12:37

That is a good question. I think your reasoning makes sense, more blood flow, more potential bleeding could occur if there were a tear. I wondered about that too, particularly with hemorrhoids since the advice is to take warm baths and increase blood flow to the area. I was like why would I want more blood down there???
But, more blood flow means more healing, oxygen etc.
When I have a bout with constipation I try to take a little milk of magnesia for the next few days to give that area a chance to rest. It is good for when you are already constipated otherwise I think miralax can be good to prevent constipation if you know you may become so. (I have been on MOM for a few days since they pumped me full of morphine and dilautid at the hosptial and it helps)
Take it easy!
L.