? recovery time after sphincterotomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

? recovery time after sphincterotomy

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2007, 21:49

Am now almost four weeks out after a lateral sphincterotomy. I am a bit discouraged with the slow healing and was wondering what the average amount of time is to really be back to normal? The BMs hurt (but not as much) and often feel a dull continuous ache when upright. Also a feeling like my bowels haven't emptied completely. Maybe I'm rushing it but just want to get back to normal. Thanks.

Re: ? recovery time after sphincterotomy

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Jul 2007, 06:37

Aftre four weeks, you should be feeling close to normal, though I have seen no two recoveries alike. Give it another week, then I would go see my surgeon.
I still have a problem with my bowels not emptying completely, after 6 months out from the surgery. Sometime I think I may never have a perfect BM again...but I'll take this over the pain anyday..
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 09:30

I haven't had this type of surgery but I have had other rectal surgery and it took longer than the surgeon said it would to get better. Of course I developed a fissure on top of that so it took months for me to feel better. I can understand the frustration but like Kim said, no two healings are alike and I think it is often a disservice when we feel that we aren't fitting into the doctor's timeline of healing. You are better than you were and if you look at your progress over time you will see that you are healing. It is just unfortunately a long haul with healing for all of us. We are in or have been in the same boat.

Postby happyass » 08 Jul 2007, 13:44

i always say give it 6 months to a year.
:-)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Jul 2007, 14:22

Gareth is right, from my experience, for *complete* healing.
For the initial healing, what most CRS's consider healed, is 4-8 weeks.
But your "recovery" from surgery should be over by now, that's why I say you need to go see your Dr. again if you are no better in a few days...
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 08 Jul 2007, 17:31

I wouldn't worry a bit yet. From my personal experience, it's been a very SLOW and discouraging healing process. For me, it's been almost 8 full weeks since my surgery and i am still not at all back to "normal", although i do feel a change since before the surgery.. (I've posted a few times on the board about this already.)

While one person may take 2 weeks to be completely healed, another may take 6 or 10 or more. I know of at least one person on this board who is 12 weeks out from surgery and still not a full 100%.
Everyone is different, and "complete" healing for you may be completely different than someone else. Call your surgeon if you are concerned, but I am sure he/she will reassure you that it's okay. Just keep drinking lots of water and taking stool softeners. Ibuprofen has helped me lots too.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby dano » 09 Jul 2007, 22:08

my friend who the surgery said it was at least 6 weeks before she started feeling somewhat normal. hers was bought on after having a kid if i remember right..
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 10 Jul 2007, 08:47

Regarding the feeling of bowels not feeling empty...
Not sure if this will work for you, but it does for me...it's actually a trick that Happyass suggested (thanks, HA)... Before I do a BM, I take a wadded up piece of TP, run it over warm/hot water, and press it against my anus as I'm squatting on the toilet. This helps relax the muscles down there. Stool comes out easier...then, when I think I'm done, I press another wadded up piece of TP against the anus (sometimes I do it several times, re-wetting the TP). Doing this generally triggers a second smaller wave of stool -- at times, it's really helped me empty out the rest of the poo lurking up there.
Hope you all feel better!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby buttgirl » 10 Jul 2007, 10:05

I think healing time would also depend on the type of surgery you had (open or closed LIS) and how much of the muscle was cut. ....those who heal quickly might have only had the muscle knicked during a closed surgery.

And then even that considered, everyone is different. I think I mentioned on another post that I had surgery for an abscess, where the abscess was drained starting from just above what was left of my original fissure about an inch inside to the outside and down almost to the muscle. I had that done at the beginning of Feb. and still am not quite healed, but I am healing (especially after the botox!!:) ) Granted, that is a different kind of surgery, more in line with a fistulotomy, but the healing time was supposed to be 12 weeks. I passed that up a long time ago and then stopped sounting because it was too depressing and discouraging. So basically what I'm trying to say is that 1) everyone is different, 2) it's hard to tell exactly what the surgery looks like and how much was cut, 3) so it's hard to say how long it "should" take for you to heal--and though it seems like a long time when you are constantly uncomfortable, 4 weeks really isn't that long. I bet 4 weeks from now you will feel much better.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2007, 16:21

cute pic Dano!