Has anyone ever gotten an colonoscopy with an AF?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Has anyone ever gotten an colonoscopy with an AF?

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2007, 15:45

I had a colonoscopy in 2003 and had to drink a gallon of that awful laxative (don't know the name of it) and that is actually what caused my current fissure problem.
However, I just had another colonoscopy in December 2006, and it was amazingly easy and didn't bother my fissure much at all - a miracle! The medical community has a new laxative for colonoscopies that is so much better (I would insist on this one)- there's not nearly as much to drink and so you don't have to visit the toilet as often, thereby lessening the damage to an exisiting fissure and lessening the possibility of causing a new one.
I guess I would say my fissure was slightly worse after the laxative, but not a lot. And, the procedure itself didn't bother it at all. Be sure to mention your fissure to the surgeon on the day of the procedure so it will be fresh in his/her mind.
By the way, colonoscopies are EASY. Frankly, my husband and I both enjoyed the anesthesia.
Good luck to you.

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 06:12

So Overwhelmed...
Don't keep us in suspense...what is the name of the laxative you used?? Thanks!

Postby happyass » 11 Jul 2007, 07:29

hi chris,
i don't know what that laxative is either but it totally avoids you having to drink the gallon of liquids. however, there is a catch to it which i forgot - if not, i think i would have opted to take what seems the easier way out.
either way, consult with your CRS about all alternatives to 'prep' for the colonoscopy.
i think actually doing the gallon of liquid may be more beneficial as you are hydrating your system during the fast. it may not be as refreshing as drinking lemonade, but it will help keep things hydrated down in the intestines and colon.
good luck! have you booked your colonoscopy yet?
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74