What type anesthesia did you have?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What type anesthesia did you have?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Dec 2006, 09:59

OK, all you veteran surgery folks....since I'm next Image I'm curious as to what type anesthesia you were given. I'm scared to death of General anesthesia and want the regional (*twilight*) type I had last August when they removed a hemorrhoid from my butt. I called the surgeon's office today to see about changing it, as I'm scheduled to have the general, but the Dr. was out til next week. I told them to run my options by him and try to allow for the regional. I'm thinking some of you had the regional also(?)

Hugh
Deleted User 5

Re: What type anesthesia did you have?

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2006, 10:35

Hi Hugh,
From what I understand, regional anasthesia is done by giving a needle in the spine, on your lower back there.
I had local anasthesia, with sedative. If you read my posts in the surgery topic, you'll see that local anasthesia was SEVERELY painful, even though I was on Demerol. I took 5 needles in the anus and screamed with each one. I would have much preferred general anasthesia because I was afraid of the pain and I was really scared of being awake during surgery. However, my clinic didn't go general anasthesia, so I had to be a trooper and deal with it. Obviously I survived (lol) so it wasn't that bad, but it was painful as hell. I think everyone else in this forum went completely down under (haha Aussie pun). Gen anasthesia has more side effects though; nausea, vomiting, headaches are common when you come out of it. Everyone here seemed to be fine though.
If you want my advice, take the general anasthesia :)

Postby Cheryl » 15 Dec 2006, 15:44

Hugh,
Just wondering what your concern is with GA?
I had GA, and although in my general day to day life I never take drugs, antibiotics etc etc, i am totally for natural health, this HAD TO BE DONE!! I was not given the option to have a regional or a local, and would not want one either.. The side effects i experienced from the GA was about 1 day of nautiousness.. which I could definitely live with.
I would not want 5 painful needles in my arse or ESPECIALLY a regional which G says is a needle in the spine... that seriously concerns me.. the spine is the life flow from your brain to the rest of your body, I would not be putting anything in there :shock: just incase!!
anyway, im interested as to why you dont want the GA Image
Cheryl
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Dec 2006, 08:09

I'm not very well versed in the different types of anesthesia. By "regional" what I *meant* was the type anesthesia I had last august....a twilight sleep where you may be awake during the surgery but you don't remember a darned thing. NO, I DON'T want the needles! I'll take the general over that....but I was wondering if anyone had the "twilight" type or were *most* of you knocked completely out -- which is what my surgeon intends to do. It's a deeper, slightly more risky type of anesthesia than the twilight type I had....it also involves longer recovery (from the anesthesia) and can cause complications for certain people for up to a year (for instance, the risk of stroke and heart attacks goes up for at-risk people for a year after general anesthesia).

Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 19 Dec 2006, 09:57

hey there,
i am wondering if twilight is the same as having an IV in your arm, giving you some valium and then something a little extra to take you to lala land......
not that i got really great news today but that was sorta what i was explained would be provided for me. :shock: if i made a certain decision.
this sounds rather easy and it was described as being local as opposed to general.
hmmmmmm......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Dec 2006, 10:04

Can you tell what decision? Image

Yeah, everything goes in through an IV with the "twilight" stuff, right after the demarol (I can't spell this morning).

Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 20 Dec 2006, 18:37

well i do have a fear of something going wrong, whether it be with my heart, testicles, or colon!
so i am an advocate - even though it takes me a while to build up courage - to take preventative steps to have good health.
i think a colonoscopy would be great so the doc can see inside and hopefully see if i do have any kind of digestive conditions so that i can improve my understanding of how to take care of my whole system in general.
so i know that i want a colonoscopy and i am aiming for mid february - after valentine's day. and today i had some calming feeling inside that told me if i have to get some ass repair then it will be okay.
i just hope that i have improvements to look forward than perpetual damage. ie, i am ready for the fistulotomy or fissurectomy/LIS, whatever may be, to have a healthy ass and colon........
and i just have to trick my body, that i am just going in for a colonoscopy and leave it at that. not to be nervous about the local and that when i wake up, i will be in a different situation but hopefully with positive results all around.
when i look at it that way, i feel a bit more at ease.
for now, i am going to tackle these issues again and if i am unsuccessful, then i have to try another route which are these additional surgeries.
i am so happy that cheryl has had positive results and other peeps too, that why can't that be for me too? or any of us.
i am the only one to convince myself that this is all for good and that i have to believe that this is the best course of action for now. i've tried. and i'll keep trying. part of these surgeries is just another way of trying. i owe it to myself to be able to enjoy my bowel movements again without fear of the toilet :lol!:
so mid february is my target date for something to happen.
i hope you are doing good ithurts as i know you are going for your journey next week. i hope you feel some peace. i probably will be jittery but i hope that i can be strong and think good thoughts and feel good about my decisions. i want the best health for me in the end.
as i am sure you do too.
it's scary.
but i think there comes a time when you can make peace with it and calm yourself a bit to take a step forward.
big hugs!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 20 Dec 2006, 19:52

wow...my friend my friend......i can only try to get near what your going thu... but my fear i thought was not one that i could handle myself..i asked god to just freakin take me already..i was so overwelmed with pain...but you seem to have a great head start on me..you found this room and the people here that have gone thu or are going thu alot..
keep posting/keep sharing and keep asking.. and im sure your on your way to becoming a person again.. if you read my postings..under the giz's new ass/// youll kinda see how i transformed from one peson to another..
i would love to be able to help someone as this room has helped me..
good luck to you..and keep your chin up!/// its gotta get better!.... your mind seems to be in the right set.. so now its your other half that will catch up to it!
good luck to you./.
the giz

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2007, 20:09

hey happyass, i just wanted to say ive had two colonoscopies now and they arent that much fun and they dont always giv u the asnwers u want. still they dont no what i have.lol. if u have it done make sure they put u under sedative properly. my first time they didnt and it hurt loads. feel free to ask me any uestions regarding the procedure if u want:-)

xx