Eating cake while suffering an AF?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Eating cake while suffering an AF?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2009, 18:16

If I can ever beat this fissure the first thing I'm going to do is pour myself a nice freezing cold pint of Guiness or Kцstritzer and just rrreeeelax! Well, maybe relax while tending to a crying baby or changing a diaper or something :)
Thanks for the status upgrade, VIP sounds much nicer (and carries considerablt greater stature I'm sure!) than procto-something-ologist. What procto-something-ologist was, I'm pretty sure it's not a word the Chinese tongue was ever intended to produce :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Aug 2009, 02:42

Sheesh well that was anticlimactic, never even got to the cake. After dinner (ate a little more than I normally do) I had my usual half dose of Miralax, and quickly ended up on sitting on the throne for an hour straight. Had to go 5 times total, 1st time with largely normal stools (with only mild-moderate pain), and 4 mores times with flat out watery diarrhea. Not sure what happened with the GI tract to cause it, but maybe it's all that broccoli soup and bran cereal I've been eating with the Miralax! Looks like the cake will have to wait for tomorrow...
One weird thing I noticed is that even after all the diarrhea, the fissure didn't seem to get all that much more screwed up, like it has in the past. Yes, the area was tender and it definitely felt a little swollen/irritated, but I only got very mild spasms (they didn't prevent me from moving around pretty normally) and could still without too much discomfort. The optimistic part of me wants to hope that this means the fissure is somehow improving, but the realistic part of me tells me it's probably just the Valium holding off the spasms (and that I'm opening my fat mouth and jinxing myself). Anyhow I thought was interesting, now it's back to figuring out how to give these watery poos just a tad more form so I can keep the # of bathroom visits hopefully less than my # of fingers!
And good morning to any of you east coasters who are morning (ok maybe very early morning) folks!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 25 Aug 2009, 02:45

Sorry i am late to the party ! Happy birthday Chen ! Image
AND ! You are going beat this, never think any different ! Image

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Aug 2009, 02:46

NeuropathicGuy wrote:And good morning to any of you east coasters who are morning (ok maybe very early morning) folks!

Oh and of course any of your folks from Europe who are up and browsing the boards right now too :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Aug 2009, 02:54

Tabby wrote:Sorry i am late to the party ! Happy birthday Chen ! Image
AND ! You are going beat this, never think any different ! Image

Dang good timing, you posted just before I extended my "good early morning" to those of you over the pond, although at least where you are, it's a proper morning now :)
Thanks for the b-day wishes, it's actually a few days off from now (Kim copied my birthday actually Image) but we celebrated it this weekend already, had a combo b-day plus baby shower kind of thing. We got so many gifts we will probably have to spend my entire actual b-day sorting them all out! Good problem to have of course...
Well it's just about bedtime over here now, have a nice Tuesday and may the poo fairy bless us all Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 25 Aug 2009, 05:22

Chen,
Fiber supplements (benefiber and metamucil) helped me normalize my bm's and not fluctuate to the extremes so much. Also, I think that high fiber cereal (FiberOne) is too much fiber all at one time. I switched to oatmeal! Good luck!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Aug 2009, 09:46

cherylk wrote:Chen,
Fiber supplements (benefiber and metamucil) helped me normalize my bm's and not fluctuate to the extremes so much. Also, I think that high fiber cereal (FiberOne) is too much fiber all at one time. I switched to oatmeal! Good luck!
Cheryl

Thanks, Cheryl. I agree. I think I had full on fiber overdose last night. I was actually doing pretty well for a few days, had "frozen yogurt" or "pudding like" stools that were relatively painless except for when the bowels first open. But then after the bout of diarrhea last night, my butt feels raw again :( Not as bad as when I ended up at the ER, but certainly a step or two backwards.
I got a big ol' canister of Benefiber, Metamucil, and Miralax from Costco this weekend (two of the biggest jars of Miralax is only $30 from Costco -- what a steal!) but have been scared to try the Benefiber so far. That's the one my CRS recommended. I will have to get the cajones to try that soon.
I think my problem was I just went completely nuts on the fiber too suddenly. I mean huge amounts of veggie soup with tofu every meal, along with Fiber One bran cereal all the time (I eat it straight out of the box all day like a snack), my GI was probably wondering what the heck I was thinking. Today I'm going to have more sushi and and nope that forms better poos. A week ago I was worried about rock hard missiles coming out, today I'm worried about it being acidic waterfalls, so there must be a middle ground somewhere!
If I may ask about your Benefiber use, do you normally mix in a little with every meal, or do you just have a set amount in the morning once and that's it?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 25 Aug 2009, 15:01

I take 1/2 teaspoon b/4 breakfast, 1 1/2 teaspoon @ 10:30, and 1 1/2 teaspoon b/4 lunch. Then 1 1/2 teaspoon b/4 bedtime (with my Miralax). I've stopped taking the Metamucil @ 4:00-4:30.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Aug 2009, 16:10

Nice, thanks Cheryl. I think I will give that a go. My stomach is feeling kind of funky today, I guess it's time to roll out the reinforcements (Benefiber) and see what they do...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure