New here!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New here!

Postby sidra1968 » 26 Aug 2009, 08:30

I felt absolutely the best I had in weeks on the colon prep day..and also the next morning before the surgery..The watery effect didn't bother it at all and for the first time in weeks, I didn't scream bloody murder in the bathroom. I was very happy and suprised, as I was dreading that day and what I just assumed would happen, and it was the easiest day of all.
NG, I'm a sports nut too..College first, but the NFL is a close second. Don't know how I'd get through boring winter without it!! Bears are looking pretty good so far..we'll see.
The name of the antiobiotic you asked about is Metronidazole. It says I can't even take cold medicine, cough syrup, or even use AFTERSHAVE or MOUTHWASH..it's so bad with any alcohol..AND it said I can't drink for 3 days AFTER I finish...Man, gonna have to make some mocktails at the tailgate so at least psychologically I'll be into the party atmosphere..guess I won't be needing my flask..lol
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 26 Aug 2009, 10:25

I'm a longtime Raiders fan so I haven't had much to cheer about for years :( In my defense, though, I'm an ex-Angeleno who is a fan of all Los Angeles teams (Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, and at the time, Raiders) so I'm at least somewhat distanced from the current travesty :)
But yeah the Bears look like they could be good this year, Jay Cutler is a huge (make that HUGE!!!) upgrade over Kyle Orton, and he could actually make some use of Matt Forte and Devin Hester's skills. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big Bears fan, but with that offense and their good-as-always defense I can see them making some noise this year for sure!
I'm actually kind of excited to watch the Eagles this year. I know there's a lot of controversy over the Vick signing, and I don't want to get into any flame war opinions over that particular issue here, but being a football fan I'm just curious to see what formations they'll run over there. I think it could be the year the wildcat finally becomes a NFL staple rather than some trick play gimmick. Generally I'm not too fond of the Eagles, either, but as a matter of pure academic interest I'm going to keep a closer eye on them.
I watch a good deal of college ball, too, but it mostly surrounds teams that I have a personal tie to. I grew up around Mizzou (my parents are both alumni), went to UCLA for undergrad, and went to a little regional school called Santa Clara University for grad school. Well, Santa Clara sports isn't anything to write home about, so I end up rooting for Mizzou and UCLA football and basketball. And in a city whose football regime squarely lies with arch enemy USC, you can imagine there aren't that many bright days for UCLA football fans! That's how I end up on the Mizzou bandwagon most years -- plus one of my best buds is from Kansas and is a big Jayhawks fan, so we have a lot of fun smack talking.
I know what Metronidazole is now that you've mentioned it, the trade name is Flagyl. It's a narrow spectrum antibiotic so they must have some ideas about exactly what bacteria is causing the infection. It's definitely got nasty side effects, in fact one of the ones possible is minor neurological events like peripheral neuropathy. I've had peripheral neuropathy in the past from other antibiotics (Avelox in my case) and it feels weird. My general doc originally tried to give me Flagyl when he thought my bloody stools following an extended course of antibiotics indicated pseudomembranous colitis (this was before we discovered it was really a fissure). But yeah, definitely don't ever take ANY alcohol with Flagyl. It doesn't actually contain Antabuse as far as I know but the reaction is very similarly severe when it's combined with any alcohol. Although it's never recommended, taking a little alcohol with most antibiotics actually won't do too much except decrease drug efficacy or increase side effects a bit, but with Flagyl, the reaction is MUCH worse. I should disclaim at this point, of course, that I'm no physician, so take what I'm saying as some random dude blabbing on the Internet, but I was a biochem undergrad and took a bunch of pharm and physio courses from the med program, so I have kind of a passing interest in these things, and Flagyl is one of those drugs that kind of sticks in your head years after you read about it.
Anyhow, good morning (I guess more like afternoon for most of you all), and have a nice day!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby derryboy » 26 Aug 2009, 13:35

Metronidazole is a strong antiobiotic ...the trade name is Flagyl.Drink plenty of water during the day as well.. can cause constipation..
ur right N.G do not drink any kinds of alcohol while on these, and for 48/72 afterwards the course is finished.
infact after the course is finished... drink plenty of water. too, to flush your system out....
talking from experenice, mouthwash can swell yor tongue up while on these antiobiotic`s to, try sticking to alcohol free stuff......
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby sidra1968 » 26 Aug 2009, 15:17

Thanks derryboy, I will up my water intake.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Corsi » 29 Aug 2009, 17:10

Image Busymom
I have Celiac disease, have had it all my life, but was wrongly diagnosed with IBS by an incompetent GP. Was diagnosed with Celiac disease 10 years ago.
Got my fissure 1 1/2 year ago, had LIS February 23rd.
Corsi Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby busymom » 29 Aug 2009, 22:45

Thanks for the info Corsi! I'm wondering if there is a connection bet. celiac & AF. I'm also considering going to an allergist and getting tested to see if I have any true allergies to foods, etc. that may be adding to my misery. How are you doing since your surgery?
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Corsi » 30 Aug 2009, 05:16

At least there must be a connection between digestion/BM problems and AF, and celiacs often have those kind of problems.
I am doing OK now, it has taken a lot of time to heal and I still have to be careful with what I eat, etc., but I haven't had the good old fissure pain since surgery and I had a really bad fissure. It was 2x3 cm., and when I came in for surgery there were 2 of them...
I am being realistic and don't expect things to ever be perfect/good, but this is so much better than before surgery. I am slowly getting my life back.
How are you? You have had this for so long and been busy with children and life in general. How have you coped? Are you working?
Last edited by Corsi on 27 Feb 2010, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby busymom » 31 Aug 2009, 09:48

Honestly, sometimes it's just horrible to deal with! Mine really seems to come and go in cycles, definitely worse with pms, and so I never know when it's going to flare up. Being busy actually helps me take my mind off of it so that's a blessing. I've considered the surgery and may get it in a few months after football season. I have so many things to do right now for my boys - sports, games, practices, we have two trips planned in the next few months, college applications, birthdays, - the list goes on and on! My downtime is in January when it's just basketball season so I'm thinking if this AF hasn't fully healed by then I will do the surgery at that point.
So while I got it 17 years ago, it hasn't always been bad. The last few months have been the worst ever, but it seems like I'm having more good days than bad.
I would love to go one week without thinking about, obsessing over, discussing, or feeling pain in that area! :D I hope you keep getting better each day! Baby steps forward are way better than any steps backward!
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8