ANAL FiSSURE AND MENSTRUATION

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: ANAL FiSSURE AND MENSTRUATION

Postby katia » 19 Nov 2009, 12:10

Fissulyna
Your experience relates to mine so much, you see before LIS I would heal and retear, heal and retear, heal and retear, etc, etc but before LIS i was not menstruating as i had a contraceptive implant on my arm but still experienced what you did, maybe the hormones still play up without bleeding or something.
Can I ask you what caused your anal fissure?
and how long ago did you have LIS
and when did your fissure heal completely?
My LIS was 3 months ago and felt pretty good after a few days but it kind of reteras a bit when I start my period and goes away by itself when period is over. what a nuisance!
katia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby busymom » 19 Nov 2009, 13:49

Hi Katia - welcome!
I had LIS 2 weeks ago for an on-again/off-again fissure that decided to not go away at all for 6 months. Mine developed from childbirth as well (17 years ago). I am absolutely, 100% convinced that mine is triggered by hormone fluctuations and my period. I haven't had my period yet since my surgery and I am DREADING it because the last 3 weeks have been pure heaven! However, I won't be surprised if it flairs up during the 7 days.
My follow up appt is in a few weeks and I have a ton of questions for my CRS. He mentioned that anal stenosis and/or anal stricture could be the cause of them (I have 3 fissures), and maybe even Crohn's (which I don't think it is).
So...I completely understand and relate to your situation. My sis and mom and grandma all have or have had endometriosis, so there's a huge possibility that I may have it as well. I honestly think it could be attached near my bowel, and if it's attached to the outside of the anal region, that could easily explain the pain and fissures during periods.
This is an interesting abbreviated article link:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/mbbtd1udd98mbjxn/ on Crohn's and Bowel endometriosis.
We're all in this together, as unfortunate as it is, but thank goodness we can come here for support and help!
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Nov 2009, 17:37

Hey Katia (LOVE the name ; ) and Busymom : )) (love your "location" LOL - that is where I am most of the time too lamo ) !!!
I had LIS two times . One Dec. 2007 and another I think Aug. 2008 (strange that I can not remember exact time :roll: - I must be going insane , or something lol) It seems like it was in another lifetime , actually Image - OK , now I am getting worried Image !!!
I got my first fissure while on vacation and trying to use public restroom which is practically impossible feat for me - I just can not relax to do it in public place - nut-case - what can I say ... Anyhow - I really wanted to "go" like every other normal human being and be over with it and continue shopping so I pressed like there is no tomorrow and forced my poor sphincter to open Image - and it "cracked" :( . I had no idea what damage I did , of course, and little did I knew that from that day on all of my shopping will be restricted solely to Long's Drugs isles Image with butt care products !!!!
My fissure finally healed about 3 mos post second LIS and stayed closed (Knock the wood and rub the rabbit's paw and toss the horseshoe over the shoulder ...or was it salt lol...hmmmm).
Katia babe- can you lay a secret on me : ) ? What kind of implant you had (name ) - I would LOVE to have no periods Image Image Image !!! I got FOUR in the past 45 days - can you believe THAT torture - I am really here holding a corkscrew and wondering of how to perform
D&C myself Image Image Image My gyns are really of no use ... but what doctor is LOL ???
Wishing you both best of luck Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby katia » 22 Nov 2009, 16:30

Hi Busymom
thanks for your post. My fissure refused to go away for 6 months too just like yours and it was triggered by childbirth too, I mean I had had my first fissure in NOv 2007 but healed in 2 weeks and was never painful, it reopened in June 2008 due to constipation in pregnancy but healed in a few days and never really hurt me but the third time due to childbirth it became chronic.
LIS has worked for me and hopefully for you too just make sure your stools are soft, I am still taking Movicol which is Miralax and is the best thing I can recommend.
. It has been 15 weeks since LIS and I now feel almost perfect the itchiness is gone after a BM and it is not sore anymore I am dreading my next period, you know the hormones seem to flare it up.
Any questions about LIS? feel free to ask me.
Thanks for sending that link.
katia
Fibre Addict

Postby katia » 22 Nov 2009, 16:38

Hi Fissulyna
The implant I used is called IMPLANON and I had it inserted in my arm 2 months after childbirth as I did not want to get pregnant. It was free of charge ( here in the UK) andThe procedure was painless and it stopped my periods but they returned 2 months after I had it out.
You had 2 LIS Oh my God you are a brave girl. Bless you!
But why didn't your first LIS work?
kisses xxxxx
katia
Fibre Addict

Postby sidra1968 » 22 Nov 2009, 16:45

Welcome to thre board!
Well, I have severe endometriosis and had a partial hysterectomy for it..the surgeon said I was one of the worst cases he had ever seen..the lesions were everywhere!! It is now starting to come back only 2 1/2 years after that surgery.
Thank goodness though, I have not had any correlation with the AF. Had my LIS on August 4 and have been pretty well ever since. So, for me there is no relation, BUT, it wouldn't suprise me at all if there is for others.
Glad you brought it up so I am aware, though.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby cherylk » 22 Nov 2009, 19:06

Sidra,
I feel for you with your endo. I used to have that prior to menopause. It was painful.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby busymom » 24 Nov 2009, 16:47

It's been 3 weeks since LIS - still no problems! I thought that I would for sure have a flare up with my period, but I had no bleeding/painful bm's, just lots of diarrhea. Luckily it didn't re-tear!!!
Has anyone here had an endometrial ablation done? I am considering it. I have such heavy, painful periods, but I do have some uterine fibroids. I did hear something today on some news show that uterine fibroids can cause constipation and bowel problems - do you think that could be what caused the multiple fissures to develop and stick around? Any ideas are welcome! I have my dr. appt next week so I want to go over all my options with him at that time. :)
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby cherylk » 24 Nov 2009, 17:15

My const woes began after one of my fibroids grew due to taking estrogen/prog (Premarin). Suddenly, I had a const prob as the tumors were pushing on the colon. :roll:
All of the organs are connected and affect one another as far as I am concerned. (Our digestive systems are often affected by the monthly times, for example!)
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby crimeofpassion » 03 Dec 2009, 21:56

Does anyone else have a hard time keeping their stools soft during menstruation? I just got my period yesterday, and all the high fiber food, water, and miralax in the world won't seem to keep my stools soft. Image They're slightly painful to pass. I noticed some reddish spots today, but they're not BRIGHT red, so I'm not sure if it's blood or not. I've been eating a lot of red licorice lately, too...
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16