Spasms after LIS surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Spasms after LIS surgery?

Postby Rusty Bridges » 28 Dec 2009, 09:38

Hi - I had LIS surgery five days ago. Everything went really well and I felt great up until I had my first BM two days after surgery. And since then my spasms have been coming back. Before surgery they were at a pain level of 8 or 9. Right now they are at about a 5 and definitely don't last as long as they did before surgery. And sitz bath's really don't seem to take care of the spasms like they did before .
I just wanted to check and see if this was a normal occurrence for after LIS surgery? I know a lot of people come out immediately pain free, but apparently I had a very large fissure.
As you can tell I am a little bit concerned about this since I really had my hopes up of being pain free after the surgery.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Spasms after LIS surgery?

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2009, 03:26

Although not common - sometimes it can happen. Some butts react to rectal surgery by going into the "spasm" and need time to relax. It usually happens with more intensive surgeries (like hemorrhoidectomy and such), BUT, we are all different.
My second LIS was accompanied by skin-tag removal, fissurectomy and 3 centennial piles hacked off and my butt went into the "shock" mode. I was in very bad pain after my first poop and was scared to death that I made things worse by having second surgery : (((. My CRS was however very knowledgeable and explained "shock" phase and gave me Vallium for relaxation. I also was VERY diligent with sitz-baths (4 times a day for 30 min !!!!) and also adjusted my "stool modifying" strategy. After the first LIS Metamucile was working like a charm for me, but after second surgery my "shocked" butt could not handle bulky poop !!! I decided to get off Metamucile and use Colace as a softener and it all slowly fell in place : ))) KTW. I forgot at how many weeks I was deemed healed - but I had surgery end of August and healed somewhere in November completely. So 9-12 weeks , give or take :roll: .
Considering how much was done - it was a record time really LOL !!!
Since you had just a LIS - try to make your poop soft and you might ask for some Valium for muscle relaxation. Actually, I think it would be vise to "brake the cycle" now. Also, I can not stress enough how much baths are important for healing of that area !!!!
Wishing you the best of luck - the worse is over - although it does not seem like it yet - you will see....
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61