Stretch/dilation

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Stretch/dilation

Postby Del » 13 Jan 2010, 05:03

Did put some info on another thread but realised I should have put it here.
As some of you may know I've suffered with intermittent acute fissures since my 20's. They were usually short lived lasting two weeks or so. However my most recent one has been giving me pain since the beginning of October 2009. My Doc has done her best and towards the end of the year referred me to a surgeon. I saw him on the 5th January.
What a great guy!! Seemed to fully understand the pain involved, asked!!!!! me if it was ok to try a digital exam and said at the first sign of any pain he would stop. He didn't get very far :D .
He scheduled me for a mild dilation/stretch on the 12th January, in fact he was a little cross that nobody seemed to have done anything before then and felt that I had suffered needless pain for years.
He wanted to try the dilation first as he would rather go down that road first before getting the scalpel out. This seemed to make sense.
On the 12th I booked in at the hospital, after a few hours of hanging around and form filling they put me to sleep.
When I woke yes it was sore but I have had far worse from the fissure in the past. They put some stuff in my arm (it was rather good) and a little later some tablets. I was discharged in the early evening with instructions and some pain meds.
So far I have not had the agony I've been dreading, it hurts a bit when I angel gas but I can't seem to stop. Not had a BM yet but have taken the stool softener and plenty of water so hopefully it will be easy. Fingers crossed.
Del
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Stretch/dilation

Postby derryboy » 13 Jan 2010, 05:41

how r u feeling today del.... hope things are not to bad for you...
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Del » 13 Jan 2010, 07:41

derryboy wrote:how r u feeling today del.... hope things are not to bad for you...

Yep not too bad at all. Was really dreading it, but went exactly as Surgeon said. Was painful on waking. However he did say that I was extremely tight which might explain the blood.
Some blood today and not yet gone for BM (13:35 on the 13th) hoping the BM will be painless Image when it comes. Keeping up with the meds because the advice is that even if I am relatively painless I should take the minimum of meds supplied as this will aid recovery.
Certainly the way that this surgeon did it the procedure seems so far to be good.
Del
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 13 Jan 2010, 21:14

Best of luck Del !!!!
Just do not let them do dilation again on you - it is completely abounded technique nowadays and all new CRSs in the USA are not even thought how to do one !!!
It all is now swollen probably and that can put extra pressure on your poor sphincter Image .
Get well fast !!!! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 13 Jan 2010, 23:36

Good luck, Del!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Del » 16 Jan 2010, 04:12

Hi Fiss!
I did check with the surgeon first and he feels that the bad press with the procedure is the rather gung ho way some surgeons have carried out the procedure in the past. It is being used again in some areas apparently in a modified form.
He did explain that he would do only a mild stretch (I'm glad it was only mild :( I'd hate to have a full on jobbie)
He assured me that everything would be ok.
As I think I said he seemed quite surprised that I was asking all these questions, but pleased. Its only by reading forums like this that I had the ammunition to ask the questions.
Cut right down on the stool softener and everything ok Image at moment. Have got a follow up appointment with him shortly so he can gauge progress.
Del
Salt Bather

Postby Del » 25 Jan 2010, 02:36

Just an update.
Definitely looser down there, no pain whatsoever when I go. Fissure is still there but I think its healed over, just got to make sure healing continues.
Not taking softeners anymore, just making sure of plenty of veg in the diet.
Really hope this is the end of my problem, got a follow up in a couple of weeks with the surgeon so he can see progress.
Del
Salt Bather

Postby chrishell » 25 Jan 2010, 14:20

Good afternoon Del,
Since you had dilation, has the pain of the bm gone away or do you still feel pain when you go? I am curious as I had dilation in December and still have a few issues with the pain.
chrishell
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Del » 25 Jan 2010, 17:40

Nope!, no or only the very slightest twinge if passing a hardish BM. Had a BM recently that I just know would have torn me in the past but everything went smoothly.
I know dilation has a bad rep but through the forum I was able to ask the right questions and ascertain that the surgeon knew what he was doing.
Del
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 26 Jan 2010, 07:04

Good for you, Del! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46