Question About CRS

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Question About CRS

Postby Marsh37 » 10 Mar 2010, 05:58

Hello
I have been dealing with mt fissure for over a year now, as some of you know I went to my (Internal Medicine Doctor) and he sent me to one of his Surgeon friends. The suregon looked at my butt and determined it is a fissure he gave a perscription for nitro and told me to increase my fiber.
I have gone back to see him and he wants to preform the surgery but, I was thinking thats how he makes his money by performing Surgerys. He did not give me any tips for the meantime and nothing to soothe the pain. Today is not a good day at all the fissure gates have opened back up... So with all of that being said how do I find a crs and does anyone know a good one in Southern Maryland? one in the What is the long name for a CRS so I can find one in network for my insurance and would he/she be more helpful? Image
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Question About CRS

Postby cherylk » 10 Mar 2010, 08:35

Colorectal surgeon
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Mar 2010, 14:39

I am sorry to say - but with chronic fissure it is very hard to heal and it takes a lot of patience and pain to even possibly come to that point : ((. Do not be mad at your surgeon - LIS is usually necessary for chronic fissure. He meant the best and you should be grateful that he offered that since many patients have to go through months of agony before they have that option!
BUT - you need a surgeon who specializes in clorectal surgery so find one ASAP.
Wishing you the best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 Mar 2010, 14:47

A colorectal surgeon used to be called a proctologist... Not sure exactly when or why the naming convention changed, maybe it just sounds better :)
But yeah I think conventional treatments for fissures are relatively limited. Basically as first line treatment you get one of the ointments -- nitro, nifedipine, or diltiazem -- along with increasing fiber and water intake and adding a stool softener. After that sometimes BOTOX is tried. And ff none of these work, then it's on to the surgical options like LIS and fissurectomy.
Fiss is right, your surgeon sounds like he's actually doing the right thing by giving you nitro first and then suggesting LIS. Other than BOTOX I'm not sure there's much else besides the two to try. I had to pester my doctor 3-4 times before he even gave me nitro, at first the guy swore up and down that all I needed were hydrocortisone suppositories.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Marsh37 » 11 Mar 2010, 05:15

Thank you all for your quick responses. I kind of felt silly because I did not know what a CRS was. And it just so happens that a proctologist or CRS is not in my network. I just wanted to make sure I was heading down the right road.
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Topics: 7