Diltiazem: cream or ointment?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Diltiazem: cream or ointment?

Postby StevePain » 14 Mar 2010, 14:53

Thanks NG,
I will try it internally tonight as I use it twice daily (usually once in the morning after i've finished with the BM's then last thing at night before bed)
This ointment definitely seems better than nitro and so far there's no headaches! I'm pinning a lot of hope on this working and up to now i'm still having a bit of pain after BM but not as bad, it's more of a dull ache but manageable, if it heals me completely then i'll brand it "LIS in a tub" :)
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 14 Mar 2010, 16:20

It is a "chemical" LIS. Good luck with it!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby cherylk » 14 Mar 2010, 16:23

NG,
Bethanechol is just included in the ointment (as a base, I think) to everyone that is prescribed Diliatzem in our area. When I first started using it, I didn't even know that I had pelvic floor dysfunction!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Mar 2010, 01:46

Steve, so you use diltiazem after a BM rather than before? I've always used nitro/nifedipine before a BM so that the poop doesn't hurt as much while making its exit...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 15 Mar 2010, 03:30

Hi NG,
I lubricate the back passage first with vaseline, I find that this helps, then once I know i've finished with the BM's, that's when I apply the ointment, basically so it doesn't get wiped off, did the same thing with nitro, couldn't see the point in using it then going for a BM, kind of defeats the object for me as the ointment will be passed with the stool or wiped off with toilet paper
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby mmb0423 » 15 Mar 2010, 10:19

I'm using the dilt... and mine looks like white lotion. I've been using it for just over a month and haven't had any bowel movement pain during or after for the last 2 weeks! Just a question... if you are putting the vaseline on before a bowel movement and then the dilt after do you think it might be harder for it to be absorbed. Maybe the vaseline might act as a barrier if it's not completely wiped off?? Just wondering about that.
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Mar 2010, 10:26

Hrm interesting, looks like we all have different techniques for this :) With the nitro and nifedipine, on "bad poop days," I use it both before and after BMs. Lately since my fissure has been acting up again, I've been using a ton of it every day... In fact I went through a 30 day supply in about the last 2 weeks.
Mechelle, white lotion sounds like what my diltiazem looked like. The concentration was wrong, of course, but I guess maybe the base can be either "lotion" or gel and still work? I called in a for the correct 2% stuff from a different compounding pharmacy today so I'll see what I get this time.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Mar 2010, 10:44

Great, just spoke with the staff at the doctor's office and of course they think I'm the idiot patient who doesn't know WTF I'm supposing to be getting. "Oh whatever the doctor wrote down should be right, sometimes the prescriptions are as low as 0.1%." Riiiiight, so that's why every damn piece of literature I can find says diltiazem should be 2% :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Can't blame the front desk staff for not knowing the ins and outs of prescriptions, but it would be nice if they gave the patient some credit every once in a F'ing while.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 15 Mar 2010, 10:50

Hi mmb,
I apply a small amount of the vaseline before my first BM of the day, I usually have more than one so the vaseline will have most likely gone by the time i've finished, it's always worked for me that way and find it the best lubricant.
As for nitro, I was told only to use it once a day, not after every BM, just once at bedtime, and Diltiazem is twice a day, preferably after a BM in the morning then at bedtime
NG, hope you get the correct % today.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 15 Mar 2010, 10:57

NG,
It is always good for the patient to check Rx's! I learned that when my boys were young. The dosage was supposed to be 1 teaspoon, but they filled the Rx for 1 Tablespoon (several times a day). Naturally, the doc blamed the pharmacist, and the pharmacist blamed the doc for the error. Moral of the story--patient always has to be on his or her toes!!!!!
As for Diliatzem, I used it prior to each bm, but at least twice daily for what it's worth! Good luck!!
Last edited by cherylk on 15 Mar 2010, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
cherylk
VIP