Question on stool softeners

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Question on stool softeners

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 28 May 2010, 10:44

Hello all,
Quick question about taking stool softeners. I've been taking Docusate Sodium 100mg gel tabs to try to soften my stools and I take 3 tablets at night and 3 in the morning (6 a day even though directions say to take 1-3 daily, preferably at night). I'm beginning to wonder if this is too many.
Are stool softeners only supposed to be taken at night? Lately I've woken up, had a BM and then have eaten a very light breakfast (bowl of raisin bran). Immediately after eating, I have to rush to the bathroom and take another BM, this one usually more painful and leading to blood. Then around three hours later, without having eaten anything else but simply drinking water, my stomach will start to rumble and my bowels seem to spasm a bit and I will have diarrhea which is excruciating. That's three BMs before noon each day. Then I rarely go again all day.
Are stool softeners like I'm taking acting like a laxative? Should I take a different one (non pill form) at night and cut these out? Is it stupid to take them in the morning and is that just hurting me more?
I am taking a fiber supplement in pill form (psylium husk approx 0.52g) one pill at night, drinking a lot of water, doing my best to avoid bad foods and taking the stool softeners I mentioned. But it's certainly not working.
Help?
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Question on stool softeners

Postby Fissulyna » 28 May 2010, 12:51

I had much better result using Milk Of Magnesia (MOM for short) . Bnefiber mixed in water gave very nice soft poop , but for some reason caused stomachache and cramping for me Image , but MANY long time sufferers found it working great. I think I might be sensitive to "wheat" part in it , maybe :roll: Also , MANY have great result with Miralax. For me it was too strong since I do not tend to constipate - I just needed my poop to be more "pasty" .
To make the story short - anything in a powder would work better than any "pill form" since powder takes water in BEFORE it enters the guts and thus is already "hydrated". When you take a pill of fiber it is really matter of chance if it will have enough water in the guts to dissolve properly and evenly. Please try to use powder form of Metamucil - you will have much better result - no question about that part !!!
Yes- stool softeners of any kind also have laxative effect - as soon as poop is too mushy it will rush out no matter what caused it - too much unripe apricots or too much Docusate Image
In your case - having BMs 3 times in that short period definitely is not good : (((.
You will have to make adjustments either in the amount of softener or finding a product that works better for you !!!
Best of luck
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby mjfarrell5959 » 28 May 2010, 13:03

Is Metamucil kind of a powder version of the fiber supplement in pill form (psylium husk approx 0.52g) that I am currently taking? I want extra fiber and if taking Metamucil would equal the pill form then I am all for it.
mjfarrell5959
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby StevePain » 28 May 2010, 13:22

I used to take docusate sodium 4 times a day but have recently changed to movicol of which I take one sachet mixed with a quarter pint of water before bed, this works 100% for me, I empty my bowels in the morning and maybe one more time during the day, needless to say I won't be going back to doc sodium..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 28 May 2010, 13:23

Yes, Metamucil is Psylium. It comes in "smooth" form also : )- I LOVE orange tasting one : )))> It also comes in individual small packs so I carried one in my purse and wold mix it with water when I am out of the home - even in a restaurant !!! Would just take a glass of water and put the powder in and mix with a straw and slurp it up !!!! LOL
You just mix as much as you need or want in a full glass of water and drink it - it has a VERY pleasant taste - really !!!
I used to drink it with a meal - so it would give extra fiber to my meal and also keep things "moist" ; ).
If you hate MOM, you can take Magnesium supplement (as a pill) - it will give you some softness too. It is natural mineral that our body needs anyway ; ).
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 28 May 2010, 13:32

I suggest you switch to movicol/miralax, or MOM like fissy says, or both.. also when you visit the toilet please do NOT sit, always adopt the "squat" position this will ensure a decent evacuation..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45