Baby food?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Baby food?

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2010, 14:33

Is it possible for an adult to stay healthy by just eating baby food most of the time? I don't take fiber supplements. I only take stool softeners (Colace), could I get constipated by just eating baby food though?

Re: Baby food?

Postby StevePain » 27 Aug 2010, 14:36

hey dawn, I think you'd be fine as long as you don't have milk and stay with the stool softeners, why would you want to eat baby food though, just curious.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Aug 2010, 14:53

She probably thought it is very healthy, no preservatives and mostly veggies and fruit and "ready-made" :roll: , I suppose : ).
BUT - any "processed" food has starches and emulsifiers and such added : (((, and they can be constipating *sigh. Unless you use veggie soups (for adults, with a lot of liquid inside), you should stay away from "instant food " : (( You have to start cooking your meals and it is far better to eat 2 fresh bananas than eating a "jar" of it ; ))
If you are "on the go" and really do not want to have a salad for a lunch or have time for real meal, drink Ensure (sp.?) or make other nutritious shake.
You have to start consuming real fiber - either with food or as a supplement (Metamucil and such) .
Best of luck Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2010, 16:19

I do eat real fiber. It's about all I eat. I just get tired of pooping so much. I only eat about 15g's and on some days go 2-3xs. I just wish I could find something that wouldn't constipate but would help with just going once a day.
I have lost so much weight and trying to keep the fiber low because I can't handle pooping anymore but I'm having a hard time consuming enough calories to not lose any more weight or pooping more. Doesn't ensure have milk in it?
Thanks!

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Aug 2010, 16:49

Dawn , I do not know about milk in Ensure , maybe Cheryl will know since it is her favorite energy boosting drink : ) !
I completely understand your constant pooping struggle. I went 5 times a day when I tried to heal : ((( and was literary "home bound" than since I would have a soak every time also Image My natural rhythm is 2 times a day LOL - was like that my whole life LOL , so "what are you talking about " LMAO *wink wink , ha ha Five times was just too much though, 2 times is absolutely normal and even preferable (once in the morning and once in the evening for me), I would feel so "full" if I would not go twice ; ))) ! But, it is so individual, as everything else.
What I wanted to say is that 2 times would be a "normal" pattern for a person who eats a lot of fruits and veggies Image Yes, with a fissure , it would be ideal to have only one soft poop a day though *sigh :roll: But it is so hard to find that balance - I really wish that there is some magical way to do it Image
Regarding a weight loss - the only way to stop it is to increase the caloric intake. I did that by adding a coconut oil (half of TBSP) to my morning oatmeal . I also used goat milk for my oatmeal : ))) Both coconut oil and goat milk have very calming and healing properties for digestive tract also , so I figured it could not do any harm ; ) and it did not.
Yogurt in principal should not be constipating , so one that is made with whole milk can give you nice caloric intake, and you can add some honey to sweeten it and make it even more "fattening" LOL
At the end - there are great protein shakes out there , with and without fiber (whatever you prefer) that you can consume in between meals to hold onto pounds ; )))
Hope you find anything of this helpful : ))
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2010, 18:31

Thanks so much for your help :)
It seems almost impossible to heal with pooping all the time, but I guess it's more to do with the consistency.
I guess I should be thankful that it's not as many considering what you had to go through! The baths and rinsing do get annoying for sure. It seems like constantly wetting that area wouldn't be good either. I just put the fan on my booty and air as much as possible too. I am lucky to be able to be at home with this. I really do appreciate all your help and I am feeling kind of down today ...it's that time of the month, and I'm worried. Image

Postby cherylk » 27 Aug 2010, 20:32

Dawn,
I drank Ensure for several weeks. Cannot believe now that I was ever trying to gain weight, but I was. Ensure has lots of good nutrients and calories. I don't remember if it is milk based or soy based (liquid). I'll read the ingredients next time I am at the store. I think right now you are fretting about lots of things in the future that may or may not happen. That is not helpful for healing, but I completely understand your thinking. I think worriers either tend to get A/F's, or having an A/F tends to make people worriers. It's the chicken and the egg thing. Not sure which comes first!! I'll post after I check out the Ensure can. I don't have any since I stopped drinking (needing) it!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2010, 20:46

Cheryl,
I can't believe I'm worried about keeping weight on either. I was a size 12 six months ago and now can wear my daughters clothes which are a 3-4.
I think you are right about me worrying about things that may or may not happen. I need to get myself together and think more positive(by faith, not by sight). I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow. I will look at the ensure to see then. I think I have read it has milk in it before but I'm not certain.
Thank you:)

Postby Guest » 28 Aug 2010, 10:06

Hey Cheryl,
I got the Ensure. It says it contains milk and soy, but I drank one anyway and took a colace right after. I will let you know how it goes,LOL
I hope it doesn't make a difference and I can keep drinking it. I weighed this morning and I've lost 3 more pounds. I've lost 38lbs all together. I just don't want to lose anymore if I can help it.

Postby cherylk » 28 Aug 2010, 15:18

Dawn,
I was (and still am somewhat) always concerned about foods and supplements that might cause constipation. I drank Ensure with added fiber, and it never caused me any problems with constipation.
That is quite a bit of weight to lose. I'm not sure how much weight I actually lost while having an A/F, but I knew that I was too thin during that time. I hated to look at myself in the mirror as I felt I was skinny. Plus I did not appreciate the comments from people telling me I was too thin. I'm relating all of this again to tell you that now I think I probably need to lose a few pounds, but I am so relieved to not be skinny any longer. Guess it is hard to have a happy medium when one (myself) is able to eat almost anything (including chocolate and other high calorie foods).
We just visited a person today who hosted my pharm student son for 5 weeks that also has digestive issues. She eats mainly cooked veggies and baked chicken and, in my opinion, is severely underweight. She struggles with constipation, but now is into alternative medicine (including supplements from a chiropractor). I'm mentioning this because I doubt that she has an A/F, but yet has digestive issues and is too thin. So, even if one does not have an A/F, weight loss can be an issue for persons.
I recall telling my husband that I finally realized why people with Crohn's are thin--they don't know what to eat (that will agree) and also have trouble absorbing the nutrients/food. I would offer to take your A/F from you in an effort to lose some weight, but I hope to never undergo that wonderful experience of having an A/F again!!! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46