Stuff that should stay where the sun don't shine

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Stuff that should stay where the sun don't shine

Postby nextlifetime » 15 Aug 2010, 22:08

I didn't intro myself in the other thread because I knew I was coming here directly. I had the surgery. Since we are all unique, I will neither recommend nor dissuade any one from choosing this option but here's my story.
Suffered off and on with fissure for over a decade. The pain, intense itching, burning, unnatural fear of white porcelain. And I would get low grade fevers and malaise for the initial day. My diet was very hit and miss so I know I did not help the situation.
After surgery, I was in manageable pain the first day. I had follow up the next day and things were painful but that was expected. Then I couldn't have a bowel movement and it all went downhill. I was told to use an enema, which I did, and it worked but it felt like I passed a tennis ball. The fissure pain was not bad but the pain from the surgery site was off the charts. From that point on I was in horrific pain day and night. Had my pain pill changed to something stronger. At 11 days out I went back to the doctor who did not believe I was in horrible pain and had a rather stank attitude towards me. At that point, I had an uncontrollable emotional outburst, complete with crying and curse words, which is something that has NEVER happened before. He admitted me to the hospital at that point to examine me under general anesthesia. I spent the next eight hours waiting for the procedure in the most awful pain that the fentynol they gave me barely touched.
Well, no infection was found. But the pain was still there. And great...the surgical incision had to be opened and restitched. They gave me fentynol/morphine drip with the self-administered pump. After discharge the following day, toradol and percocet controlled the pain adequately but it still hurt. I thought things were looking up when seven days after discharge I was off the narcotics and could stand straight up. Ten days from discharge, I ventured out and felt more or less "normal"...after the morning bowel movement ritual that is. Bowel movement still hurts the incision site area. (And playing with combo of fiber supplements, fibrous foods, water intake, etc has been so frustrating. Found out too much fiber makes big, bulky, frequent stool. )
But back to the point of my post. I am now three weeks out from surgery and 12 days out from restitch of incision. Granted incision site is not as painful second time around but the pain is still there. Like a lump hanging down feeling. I can't take anti-inflammatories either (the toradol was the exception). And there is a small bump by the incision site. It was bigger so I guess I can't complain. And the drainage from the incision seems to have stopped so that's good. But I am having leakage of mucus (?) from butt! Even worse when I walk...like when you're really sweaty but this isn't sweat. And then today...I sneezed. Lawdy be. Something came out. Not a lot but any is too much. I had only heard about sharts in the movies but here I was out in public with the full shart experience. It didn't make it to my underwear...thankfully. I am trying to hold myself together but I feel like I am losing my mind. Will I have incontinence permanently? I know that no one can answer that question but it is weighing so heavy on my mind that at certain moments the world looks grey to me. I am trying hard to remain optimistic since I know that the mind can heal the body but it is so difficult. I've been out of work for 3 weeks, when it was supposed to be only 1-2 weeks and I'm terrified of going back to work tomorrow.
If anyone is having or has had a similar experience or has some advice or something...please share. Not too many people mention incontinence, nevermind whether or not it resolved itself and how long it took to do so. I'm at a loss.
nextlifetime
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Stuff that should stay where the sun don't shine

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Aug 2010, 12:59

Hey there, I had leakage for a while after LIS. Mostly when I ate a lot of fiber and passed a lot of wind. I also had a couple "accidents" in the days immediately following surgery. For me the leakage took maybe a little over 2 months to settle down.
I was told the usual estimate of ~1 week recovery time as well. It's been 3+ months and I still have pain. No more leakage though (knock on wood). I was out of work for 1 month after surgery and was sitting on a pillow and taking Vicodin for a little bit even after I came back.
I should note that my situation may be complicated by the fact that I had LIS and then a second abscess drainage surgery two weeks afterward though.
I don't think temporary mild incontinence is that rare after LIS. I would expect it to resolve with time though. I was still in pretty bad shape 3 weeks afterward so I don't think it's time to freak out just yet. Things should improve over the next month or so IMO.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby nextlifetime » 16 Aug 2010, 20:01

Thank you for the quick response. Truly. Wish we had one of those ~1 week backsides though! I'm gonna take your advice and try not to freak out too much just yet. I'm sure there is a spirit building lesson in all this but it can be hard to see when you're in the midst of it all.
First day wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I used gauze for the leakage which was uncomfortable but better than the alternative. The sitting caused pain in the rectum though. Thankfully I didn't need the pain killers.
nextlifetime
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 26 Aug 2010, 14:25

ABSOLUTELY no reason for freaking Image !!!!! It is VERY common and although I personally did not experience it - I heard it over and over from people who had LIS - couple of weeks post op it is definitely NORMAL Image !!!!!!
I know that my sphincter needed about 6 mos to get to its FINAL stage of tihghtness and was getting stronger and stronger over that time and guess what - became TOO strong again so I needed a second LIS Image Image !!!!
SO - be happy that your surgeon did make a nice and sufficient cut and in about 6 mos you will have a nice "new" sphincter with a normal pressure Image !!!!!
CHEEERS TO THAT !!!! Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 26 Aug 2010, 23:23

Hey nextlifetime, it's been a while, are things going any better now?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby nextlifetime » 30 Aug 2010, 22:05

Hey NG! And thanks Fissulyna. You are a brave soul. If this turns out not to be successful, I don't think that I will ever do this again! So...I haven't been freaking out as much since the leakage has decreased. But I do still have some yellowish leakage that makes me tuck gauze to protect my skin. It doesn't burn as much as it used to but I do still have pain around the incision site. And I do still have some spasms. It's worse when I don't move around as much....anus feels like it swells up...almost like going backwards in recovery.
I actually went to a hyperbaric oxygen treatment place to see if it might benefit me. Since the wound has closed up, it's not considered a slow healing wound so it's not covered by insurance. The oxygen is supposed to accelerate healing so I'm still thinking about it anyway. But it's expensive...$200 a pop. They told me five treatments might do it. Anyone try it before?
nextlifetime
Fibre Addict