Has anyone had a second LIS and/or Levator Ani Syndrome?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Has anyone had a second LIS and/or Levator Ani Syndrome?

Postby desperatehousewife » 11 Sep 2010, 22:48

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and can offer advice.
Had the LIS on Aug. 16th. Pain decreased over days. However, on day 9 I had a bm that was slightly harder (barely needed to push) and then instantly my dreaded spasms started again. Since then it feels like the fissure pain, although not as bad. Went to the CRS this week and he told me I had pelvic floor problems (levetor ani and would require physical therapy). From internet self diagnosis I already knew this and had gone for about 10 treatments already. However, in July my fissure became so bad I had to discontinue therapy. Turned out that last therapy session fixed my nagging higher up in the rectum pressure sensation for 6 weeks, until this...
So after visit with CRS he tells me that my fissure is NOT healed. I reminded him to be gentle during inspection, but what does he do... totally rips me open. I honestly feel like I am back at square 1 or -1 for that matter. THe fissure pain is not as intense, however the dull nagging pressure higher in the rectum (levetor ani) NEVER leaves me alone. I have to take armytriptalyne just to get sleep (I can't feel anything but rectal pressure when I lie down) and chose to use this cause it is also an antidepressant which I now need from being in chronic pain for almost a year.
So CRS gave me more nifedeprine cream (didn't work for the 12 weeks I used it last time, but maybe he thinks this time will be different, LOL). Told me to come back in six weeks for check up. If fissure is still there he wants to do the LIS again. Has anyone had this done? SHould I worry about incontinence from 2 surgeries? He also mentioned the pelvic floor and told me I could not get therapy until fissure heals. I then said but what if the higher up spasms are causing the fissures? He then said you might be right, but then never offered a solution. I am so scared and frustrated. I have done everything right. Water, metamucil, baths, etc., haven't missed a beat. I've been living in the tub since February! Yesterday, I added magnesium supplements after internet research.
Any advice, similar stories out there?
Thanks,
Desperate
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Has anyone had a second LIS and/or Levator Ani Syndrome?

Postby Philber » 12 Sep 2010, 06:18

I have had one LIS surgery, but there are people here who have had more than one.
My surgeon, who is very good, told me that 90% of people heal with one LIS. He said they make a small cut when they do the first LIS, because that is sufficient for 90% of people, and they do not want to make a bigger cut than necessary. For the 10% that do not heal from one LIS, they do a second LIS, and they make a bigger cut. Of those 10%, 90% of them are healed with the second LIS.
So the odds of needing a second LIS are about one in ten, but the chances of being healed by that second LIS are nine out of ten. So the odds are very good, even though obviously no one wants to go through LIS twice.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby desperatehousewife » 12 Sep 2010, 10:45

Philber,
Thanks for the stats. That is somewhat reassuring! I'm pretty sure you are the university prof I read about earlier. Congrats on your healing! I think that is great that you posted your success story. Too often people whine and complain and when they get better they forget about comforting those still suffering with positive outcome stories.
I'm an elementary teacher so I know all about what it feels like to try and plan your bm's and soaks througout the day and then put on a happy face for your students, meanwhile gritting your teeth because all you can feel is pain and a basketball sensation up your rear end! I wish ass problems weren't such a taboo topic, otherwise when my colleagues notice that I am not myself and ask what is wrong, just once I'd love to say "my ass frigen hurts OK?"! Wish me luck with getting up at 6:00 am to apply nifediprine, drink yummy metamucil, bm, soak, shower, eat, get my son ready, drop off at daycare, and go to work for 8:30, then trying to race home, bm, soak, and eat on my 40 minute lunch break! I'm sure you can relate!!!!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Philber » 13 Sep 2010, 10:27

That sounds an awful lot like my routine for the last few years. Even though it probably feels like you are all alone with this burden, rest assured that you are definitely not alone. Fissures are, unfortunately, a very common problem.
I wanted to post my success story because I want people to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I know what it is like to be depressed, and discouraged, and disheartened. But I also know that the vast majority of people with fissures are cured sooner or later. I want to make sure that people hear from those who have been cured. There is hope. There are good outcomes. In fact, most outcomes are positive.
It is the nature of this type of forum that it will be biased towards the more difficult cases. People who have lived with this problem for longer, and people who have the most severe or difficult problems, are more likely to seek out this type of resource, and more likely to become frequent contributors. However, we must remember that the vast majority of people who come to this forum get some kind of treatment and are cured. We never hear from them again because they do not need to come back here for help and information. That is indeed a wonderful thing. And frankly, I will probably fade away from this forum as my fissure problems fade away. But I wanted to leave my complete story (including my healing) on this forum as a sign of hope for those people who are not as far along in all this as I am.
You will get better. You might have some challenges along the way, but you will get better.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 10:50

Phil, I want you to know how much I appreciate you sharing your story. It has been very encouraging and even though I hate to see you fade away from here, I am happy that this is over for you :)
Oh one more thing, don't fade away until my surgery's over!! LOL just kidding!

Postby Alyssa » 05 May 2014, 02:47

Do you have any updates on how your surgeries went?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26