Hi! Another newbie here!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi! Another newbie here!

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 18 Nov 2010, 23:35

Hi everyone,
I am relieved to find such a great website, because I have never felt so alone in my whole life, than I have in dealing with this pain in the a$$.
My AF began 10 months ago when my beautiful baby boy was born. I am told it was the result of the difficult labor, and episiotomy I received. I thought the pain was related to the fact that I had delivered a 9lb baby, so I tried to give it some time, but weeks later, I noticed a burning sensation after bms. Being an exhausted, and very busy new mom, I would forget about the pain as quickly as it came, and forgot to get it checked.. That was until one day, I couldn't ignore it anymore. I was going about my business, and it was like passing a ball of razor blades.. I was in the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced (yes, more painful than childbirth) and then I noticed the blood. My husband wanted to take me to the ER, but I just laid in bed and cried for hours. He didn't know what to do, so he called my mom, who came and stayed for a few days through the worst of it. I went to see my Dr, who diagnosed me with hemorrhoids and prescribed a Hydrocortisone cream (big mistake) and stool softeners. After a few days on the softeners, I was noticing things were getting better, and thought I would forever be rid of this horrid problem.
I was wrong... Off and on for the past 10 months I have been re-tearing, and suffering, and healing, and re-tearing, and suffering. I finally caved and have been seen by a surgeon. She prescribed 2% diltiazem ointment, which, was working quite well for a few weeks. Things are quite bad again right now, but I do have a theory..
Ever since this awful problem began, I have been consuming 30-40 grams of fiber per day, drinking a ridiculous amount of water, eating lots of fruits and veggies, avoiding cheese like the plague, and other measures to avoid making matters worse. All the while I have been breast feeding my son, and I now have a suspicion that my AF is recurring due to hormonal imbalances. I have begun taking a birth control pill and had some spotting and bam.. AF was back! Got my period, and bam, it was back. I recently switched pills because my last one was causing too much spotting, and yikes, it has been hell, but I have noticed this pattern all along, but have been dismissed by Dr's.
I read on another self help page that some nursing mothers had to fully wean their babies before they could completely heal, so that will be my next step. Anything to avoid surgery at this point. I am booked to meet with the surgeon again in a few weeks, but was wondering if anyone else had any tips or tricks to help them heal other than the obvious things to try?
My heart goes out to you all.. I had no idea such a terrible problem existed until I experienced it first hand, and feel that even though my husband and family try to be supportive, they will never fully understand how painful and all consuming this problem is. I'm sorry that all you guys do, but I am happy to have a place to vent, and chat, and get some new info and tips!
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Hi! Another newbie here!

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Nov 2010, 01:24

Hey there, Botox injections are a non-surgical treatment that help some folks. Any feelings either way on that? It's not as effective as surgery, but there's also little to lose by trying it. I eventually had surgery myself, but did try Botox first and got pretty good mileage out of it.
As you probably already know, there are also nifedipine and nitroglycerin based ointments that can be used instead of diltiazem. Still topical, though, and honestly if one doesn't work, in many cases using another won't work either. But it's another option that carries little risk to try...
Also, what kind of stool softener are you using, and is it effective for you? An effective stool softener can make all the difference in the world.
It sounds like you're doing a lot of things right already. If I were in your shoes (and I very much was about a year ago), I think I'd give Botox some thought as the next step.
Oh, and welcome! :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 19 Nov 2010, 05:41

Hi, and I am sorry that u have had to go thru this 2. I was in the same boat my fissure popped up after the birth of my daughter 8 months ago and was so busy to really look after myself for the first few months now I am 4 days post lis. I tryed a lot but it never really healed. We want more kids so I thought this was the best for me.
All I can say is see 2 crs just to see what they both say I did and I am glad I went through it although its the last thing u feel like doing.
I am still breastfeeding I personally didnt want to give up but I was told by crs that it didnt help the situation.
If there is anything I can help with let me know.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 19 Nov 2010, 07:18

Hi guys! :) Thanks for your responses! I have been reading more and more about the Botox, and would certainly be willing to try it! I'm going to ask the surgeon about my other options when I go back to see what she can offer! She seems quite open to other alternatives, thank goodness! The first surgeon I saw didn't examine me, said I needed a colonoscopy, and said I had to wait until I was done nursing to have it done.. :s the guy was a total moron, so I am now seeing this other surgeon, who is much more thorough, and much more interested in making me comfortable and curing me without surgery if at all possible due to my age (I'm only 26).
As for the stool softener, I am taking Docusate Sodium, pretty much the max dose each day. I'm finding that the only issue I'm having with hardness is the first part of the bm, the rest has always been quite soft. I tried glycerin suppositories as suggested by another sufferer, but I didn't find they made much, if any difference! :s
As for nursing, I am planning to keep it up until at least January, which is when I will have to return to work.. Hoping that by then this issue has been resolved, because I cannot imagine commuting an hour each way, and sitting at my desk all day with this! Being home with my lil guy has been the only thing stopping me from rushing into surgery, as I can have sitz baths during his naps, or when my husband gets home, and suffer in the privacy of my own home. Not sure how I would cope having to work! :S
How did you guys find the surgery? Was it worth it in the end? How painful was the recovery?
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 19 Nov 2010, 07:41

Hey there,
I wanted to say that finding a doctor you are comfortable with is so important. The first CRS I seen was a moron too and I just had a gut feeling he wasn't the best one for me.
I also wanted to say I have seen many people your age who have had LIS.
I'm four weeks post-op. I had LIS and Skin tag removed that formed from the fissure And I am so relieved and happy with the results. Recovery for me was nothing compared to the fissure. I was sore but it didn't feel like fissure pain. The first week was the sorest, the second week much better and it's just been getting better since.
It took me 8 months to get brave enough and I wish I would have done it sooner.

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 19 Nov 2010, 07:55

Hi Dawn!
Thanks so much for that encouraging info! :) Its reassuring to hear that although painful, it can be worth it! I have been soooooo hesitant to go the surgery route, but at this point, I am willing to try it, if nothing else helps! The longest I have gone pain free was about a month, which was pure bliss, and with a new baby, I would much rather be able to really enjoy life fully, rather than suffer any longer! I'm happy things went well for you and that you are on your way to a full recovery! :)
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby PaulsPain » 19 Nov 2010, 08:43

I will echo others that finding a CRS that you feel good about is very important. I live in a large metropolitan so I had lots to choose from. I looked online at reviews and looked at a top doctor list that is published in my area.
I had a fissure for years before having an LIS. I was told that Botox isn't the best option once the fissure becomes chronic with build up of scar tissue.
Also, you mentioned about having your BM start hard and then get soft. I had this issue also. What solved it for me was to start drinking water at breakfast time. Before I would have a little coffee and wait till I got to work. Once I started drinking water instantly when I got out of bed things are good.
Best of luck. Fissure's are hell and really are not fun when you have a little one to take care of. I got my first fissure a little before my wife and I had twin girl's.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 19 Nov 2010, 13:23

Hey Paul!
I hear ya with having little ones to take care of! My lil guy was 9lbs at birth, and to carry him is excruciating on the worst days, but what can you do?!
Its funny you mention water first thing in the morning, I was thinking the same thing today! In the beginning I read, from a fellow sufferer that if he had 2 big glasses of room temp. water first thing in the morning, its like it went straight to his bowels and helped! I used to until I started to feel better (and my cat kept tipping my glass over if I left it bedside all night lol) and totally slacked off in that morning water department, so I am certainly going to start that up again! :) Hopefully it helps a bit! Because otherwise, I'm at a total loss! I have tried soooo many things now, I'm starting to think surgery might be the only way to get my life back! :(
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Nov 2010, 15:37

Hey, on the topic of stool softeners: I tried docusate sodium in the beginning of my fissure saga too and it didn't do much for me. Miralax worked wonders for me, though. It might be worth a look. It's been effective for a lot of folks here where docusate sodium wasn't. I don't recall one person that's ever complained about Miralax not making stool soft enough. The chief complaint from those who don't like it is that it works "too well" if ya catch my drift :)
Surgery probably is indeed your best shot if the fissure has been around for 10 months. By that point it's considered chronic and generally becomes much tougher to heal via conservative measures. Still, if you want to try to avoid it, I do think Botox is probably the best shot.
I personally tried all of the ointments (nifedipine, nitroglycerin, diltiazem). These, with Miralax, made the fissure completely tolerable but didn't heal it. Then I tried Botox and completely healed for a couple of months. However, I then re-tore the stupid thing after a difficult poop. So, finally, one year after everything started, I finally had LIS. So I know where you're coming from: try everything plus the kitchen sink, then go to surgery as the last resort.
BTW, in case you do ultimately end up getting surgery, know that a lot of young people get it done too. I was 31 when I had LIS, and while that may seem ancient to you :) it's really not that far apart (seriously! Image). You'll eventually get this sorted, that much is certain. The only question is using which method and what order you want to try things in.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 19 Nov 2010, 15:57

I just want to add I am only 25, I think of it as I am to young to let this thing rule my life and stop me doing the things I want to do with me family.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38