A colace question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

A colace question

Postby Bambi » 22 Nov 2010, 08:17

Ok- so I decided to take 2 Colace last night because I couldn't face the possibility of another difficult morning like yesterday and the day before. And it didn't seem to change things at all. This in spite of my eating a pretty perfect day yesterday and drinking over a 100 ounces of water - probably more like 120. I know some people have said it can sometimes backfire on people, but I thought that was if you didn't drink enough water. Any thoughts?
And I have tried Miralax and even with just a small amount, I spent the next day in the bathroom and felt lightheaded. I would be willing to try it again- maybe a tsp at a time, but we have company coming and I hate to put myself into running to the bathroom and trying to sneak times in the bathtub all day long. They are good friends, but I'd rather not have to discuss this with them.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: A colace question

Postby Guest » 22 Nov 2010, 11:15

Hey Bambi,
I have taken up to 5 colace a day and really didn't get as good results as I did with miralax. I wish I could give you good advice Image
I do remember if I took colace on an empty stomach, it would nauseate me. It took me awhile to figure that out but I started to notice a pattern after taking it so long.
I'd say try the miralax like you said in a lower dose, but I guess you could take more colace. I've also read of other people who had good results with milk of magnesia which isn't suppose to be a stimulant either from what I've read?!
I always rinsed w/ the shower head after frequent bowel movements and made sure to take atleast 3 baths a day when I could in privacy if I had company or whatever...
I wish I had a better solution... It could be nothing to do with what your doing though and just the muscle still in spasm until the botox kicks in? Hopefully that will be soon!!

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Nov 2010, 12:47

I felt flushed the first few times I took Miralax. It should most likely subside with time. But yeah, you probably want to wait for a less social setting for the acclimation to happen in :)
Docusate sodium was basically completely useless to me. It works for some but if it's not working for you, Miralax would definitely be worth trying.
Also, one thing I found that helps with Miralax is to mix it with really hot water. IMO doing so seems to help it dissolve a bit better than cold water and results in fewer side effects like bloating and gas.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bambi » 22 Nov 2010, 13:58

That helps to know NG. The feeling I had was pretty strange- but I also started with the full dose and then tried to cut down to half. I appreciate the tip about the hot water. If I decide to try it this week out of desperation, I'll start with a tsp in hot water and see how it goes, adding some each day. Thanks!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Nov 2010, 14:07

Good luck with it :) I think once you get over the initial discomfort you'll find it to be quite effective.
For what it's worth, my stomach reacts poorly to just about every drug on earth, and I do fine with Miralax. I almost quit it early on due to the flushed feeling and also the somewhat funky taste, but now it's like nothing.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 22 Nov 2010, 22:38

Hi Bambi!
I currently take 5 Colace per day, and I have to drink a ridiculous amount of water each day for it to work at all. (by ridiculous I mean 12 or 15 16oz glasses per day. I also take the travel packets of Benefiber, usually about 3 or 4 per day, dissolved in my glasses of water, and find that is sufficient most days. (that is on top of the 35-40 grams of fiber I eat each day) I have also noticed that too much fiber with not enough water = awful awful bm's just like they say it will. For me, enough water is a real lot, and I really have to work all day at drinking enough, but it sure is worth it the next day! I had thought the Colace wasn't working for me, but have realized that the secret, for me anyways, is lots and lots and lots of water. I don't know if this helps at all, but I just wanted to share! :) Hope you start feeling better soon!
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Topics: 3