Hello! support needed!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello! support needed!

Postby mumof2 » 25 Nov 2010, 06:22

Hi,
My fissure started 3 and a half years ago after the birth of my first son. I used diltizem cream and had botox. The botox eased the pain to a soreness which I could live with.
10 weeks ago I gave birth to my second son. I was so careful not to make the fissure worse but surprise surprise it came back 3 weeks after the birth.
I am currently feeling very low, I can't see the end of the pain, I am so annoyed that during pregnancy the fissurer was fine. All my doc said for after the birth was not to get constipated and I haven't.
I take normacol in the evenings and try to drink as much as I can. Never strain when I go to the loo but the pain is awful at the moment.
I talk to my hubby and mum but they don't truely understand. Not told my friends as I am too embaressed.
I next see the consultant in 3 weeks. Hopefully he will come up with something.
I just needed to vent and hopefully find some people going through the same thing.
Sorry to moan but I am sure most of you will know where I am coming from.
I can't believe a condition I had never heard of has taken over my life.
mumof2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Hello! support needed!

Postby New mum » 25 Nov 2010, 06:45

Hi, I am so sorry u have delt with thisa for so long. I know how u feel I got mine 3wks after the birth of mu daughter and it took away so much joy for months, I remember crying in sooo much pain trying to breastfeed my daughter in the middle Of the night. I understand about not telling people I only told hubby and mum, mum has no clue what so ever and hubby ois good I think coz he has seen me in the pain.
I am now 10 post lis trying to get my life back
If there is anything I can help u with just let me know. This forum is great and everyone is so supportive
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 25 Nov 2010, 11:03

Hi there!
First of all *BIG HUG* I am so sorry you have been dealing with this also! My son was born 10mths ago, and I have endured 9.5mths of hell because of my terrible fissure! I am still breastfeeding my son, and am meeting with a surgeon again next week to follow up, and see what's next. She previously prescribed 2% diltiazem, which worked for a while, and then I had a bad re-tear.
I know how hard and depressing it is to try and keep it together for your little ones. Hang in there, and see what this Dr says at your appointment! I have been playing the "home remedy" game for far too long, and am thinking that surgery is my only option. I did read that it could be due to hormones (which made sense to me as I seem to re-tear anytime I get my period, and since I was never constipated in the first place to cause a tear) and am considering weaning my son to see if it makes a difference, and if not, surgery it'll be for me. After reading all the incredible success stories on here, it has given me hope that there will be a normal life one day soon! As dismal as it seems now, try and keep your chin up! This website is a great source of support and people to listen who know exactly what you are going thru!
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby mumof2 » 20 Dec 2010, 10:13

Thanks ladies!
Saw my doc last week. I am having botox again in the new year. He was keen to do the LIS but not sure if I am ready yet. To be honest really not sure the botox will do much as I have had the fissure on and off for so long. The fissure was at its best while I was pregnant. Still dont understand why its come back. Sorry moaning again but feel its taking my fun side away from me!
X
mumof2
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 20 Dec 2010, 14:45

Feel free to moan. Fissures are very depressing and life altering:( They suck!!
Hope the botox gives you some relief but just wanted to say don't be afraid of LIS if it comes to that. It has been a blessing for me- so far!:)

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Dec 2010, 23:04

Hey mumof2, nobody understands the ridiculous pain of a fissure unless they've had one themselves. No one. My wife didn't understand it, and frankly your mother and husband probably won't either... To be honest, I can't blame others for not getting it, because before I got one myself, I don't think I would get it, either. Unfortunately it's just hard to comprehend how "just a little cut" can cause such extreme pain. But we do, so know that we're here for you, at least as an understanding shoulder.
When my fissure was at its worse, I felt all alone in the world too. Like I had some crazy never-before-seen thing that no one else had ever experienced. I kept wondering why my doc was taking it so casually when I was living every day in fear of the next trip to the pooper. I had people making jokes thinking it was funny that I had butt problems, and friends wondering if I was just exaggerating about the pain. Some folks started to get it a little bit more when I had to be carried -- not able to move and in tears -- from my office to the emergency room in intractable pain. But even then, I doubt they truly got it.
Know this: between the Botox and possibly LIS, you're going to beat this. I also wasn't ready for LIS for a long time, so don't rush yourself. When you're ready, you'll know. Some people need repeat Botox, so if you want to see how that goes, then try it. Always best to know you tried everything you wanted and have no regrets if you ultimately go into surgery. But just keep in mind that you're eventually going to get rid of the fissure, one way or the other. There may be a bit of hassle and maybe some pain plus ups and downs between now and then, but in the long run you're going to be just fine. Many of us have been there, which is why this board has so many great people on it.
Now, one quick question for you: have you been taking any stool softeners? If so, what kind, and have they been effective? A good stool softener makes all the difference when dealing with a fissure. It may or may not fully cure it, but it can be night and day between a tolerable fissure and an intolerable one.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby mumof2 » 21 Dec 2010, 03:58

Thanks for that. At the moment I can't see a future without it, I guess because I have had it on and off for so long.
In answer to your question I am taking normacol plus which is high fibre and a laxative. It is a natural product my consultant told me to take. Before the fissure reoccured it helped ease the pain but not doing much this time. I'm n the UK!
mumof2
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Dec 2010, 23:59

mumof2 wrote:Thanks for that. At the moment I can't see a future without it, I guess because I have had it on and off for so long.

I know exactly how this one goes too :) When my fissure was at its worst, all I wanted was a colostomy so I'd never have to poop again. Now in retrospect that seems like a completely silly desire (not to mention a bit inconsiderate towards those who have actually had to get colostomies for more serious conditions), but it definitely seemed more than reasonable at the time! It's just so hard to imagine, and to remember, the days when pooping didn't require a second thought when it's all you think about and fear the entire day.
At the risk of sounding like a Movicol salesperson: have you ever given Movicol a try? It's a great stool softener and may work if your current regimen isn't working. For me it really took the edge off fissure pain and made things bearable, although some discomfort and pain obviously remained. It's helped a lot of us here and frankly they ought to be paying us commission with all the endorsements :) But it truly shined above the others, so maybe at least give it some thought if you haven't tried it before.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45