new and in need of serious HELP!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new and in need of serious HELP!!

Postby vellekl » 02 Jan 2011, 20:53

Hi Everyone,
I cannot tell you how incredibly happy I was to find this forum. I had serious butt problems two years ago (exactly!) and wasn't sure if it was hems or fissures. My gastro recommended that I get a colonoscopy, which I did and nothing was found. Now, two years later I have a fissure that it so severe I don't know what to do with myself. I feel like 20 knives are going up me all day. Saw gastro on Thursday 30th and was told sitz baths 3 times a day and he prescribed Analpram - 30 individual tubes of cream to put in 3/4 times a day. Doc told me if I still felt awful by Sunday to see proctologist immediately on Monday morning (tomorrow). I don't know what to do! The hard part for me is I can't even poop it is so painful, which I know is making it all worse. But everytime I try to poop it feels like shards of glass and its unbearable. I'm in the process of changing diet but am so scared atm.
Help!! Any advice?!
vellekl

Topics: 1

Re: new and in need of serious HELP!!

Postby Guest » 02 Jan 2011, 22:01

Hey there,
Are you taking a stool softener. Many of us take Miralax which helps to make the stool softer and easier to pass.
There's many tips in the diet and supplement threads that will help guide you with the anal fissure friendly diet. It's really important that you eat right to minimize the pain.
You also need to drink plenty of water when eating or taking fiber supplements and/or stool softeners.
I could never take the fiber supplements and just ate 20-25g's.
Since your fissure is chronic(over 6 weeks old), you're probably going to need LIS or Botox (possibly) to heal it.
I had LIS after 8 months of having a fissure. It truly gave me my quality of life back! So, don't be afraid if you need the surgery.
The best advice I can give you is to get on the fissure friendly diet and find a stool softener that works the best for you so that you will have daily bm's that are as soft as you can make them, but formed...This will minimize your pain and prepare you for healing with surgery or whatever option you choose.
Take care,
Dawn

Postby vellekl » 03 Jan 2011, 06:48

Hi dawn,
Thanks for the advice! I am taking a stool softener but it doesn't seem to be helping. It isn't miralax, so maybe I will go to the store and get that and see if it works.
I've been in the process of changing diet, but it's really getting to the point where I am starting to become afraid to eat anything! I almost don't want to eat the fiber so I don't have to poop in such pain. But I really think I will try miralax. Calling colon and rectal surgeon today to set appt.
Thanks dawn! I'm off to eat a fruit bowl for breakfast.
Lauren
vellekl

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2011, 10:57

Hey Lauren,
Glad you are seeing the doctor soon! I know what you mean about being afraid to eat. I lost around 50lbs with my fissure in 8 months.
I took docusate sodium( colace) up until I had my surgery and then switched to miralax. It gave me much better results.
Are you thinking about getting LIS?