how do u know if lis didnt work???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

how do u know if lis didnt work???

Postby New mum » 23 Jan 2011, 01:00

I know its only been 9 weeks since lis and in butt terms it isnt long. I have had a few well bad week. today i swear its the fissure playing up. i think i know when its the surgery sight because its on one side that the cut was made and then its a pinching and sometimes tight sensation.
so i just want to know when and what are the signs the lis didnt work???
maybe i will never stop thinking about my butt again.....
thanks
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: how do u know if lis didnt work???

Postby happyass » 23 Jan 2011, 08:47

hi new mum,
did you have your follow up with your CRS or have you called lately to make another follow up appt?
do you have stitches in?
do you have diltiazem or lidocaine ointment with you? my CRS told me if i wanted to, i could use those as i heal. i do use the lidocaine since i have too many excisions on or about the anus.
i know i am not in your shoes but i hope you can step a couple of steps back and get yourself out of the cycle of anxiety you are in. anxiety releases stress hormones and then other things trigger in the body and it can get in the way of healing.
i am not denying you are having a bad week but maybe instead of thinking too much about the LIS not working, maybe focus on how possibly your body is responding to trying to make the most of it and really doing its best to heal.
in the meantime, we can't really tell you if it isn't working or not. it may be the case that it is but your CRS has to really take a look at it inside.
William, who just posted a follow up, was having some body response activity inside the site of his LIS and is having some corrective treatment to help him continue healing. he is about 5 weeks out from having his LIS.
i know it's hard to focus on anything else especially when you have come so far in doing the LIS and then dealing with doubts of it not working.
focus on the thoughts that it is working and that your body is simply doing its thing and that you will need to make an appt with the CRS to take a peek to reassure you and find a solution to what is going on.
i will send some prayers your way today.
big hugs,
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby StevePain » 23 Jan 2011, 14:27

I sometimes wonder if my LIS was successful too, especially lately.
I had lots of pain for the first 3-4 months and beyond (post-op) and still have quite bad days, this last fortnight has been particularly bad and has made me lose a little faith, saying that though, LIS is by no means a quick fix, it requires you to be strict with the foods you eat, follow stringent cleaning regimes, natural defecation (squatting) and a very strong positivity!
If you heal before 1 year you're very lucky, I'm looking at 2 years as a realistic goal, providing I follow the above.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 24 Jan 2011, 04:40

Sorry to hear ur not going to well steve, I cant remember did u have more then lis? B4 lis I thought I would feel great and be healed at 6months, but now I dont think thats going to happen.
happy I had no stiches and yes I seeen my crs about a wk ago I didnt let him do anything. As a person I dont like him haha but he is a great surgeon.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby New mum » 24 Jan 2011, 04:41

Sorry to hear ur not going to well steve, I cant remember did u have more then lis? B4 lis I thought I would feel great and be healed at 6months, but now I dont think thats going to happen.
happy I had no stiches and yes I seeen my crs about a wk ago I didnt let him do anything. As a person I dont like him haha but he is a great surgeon.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 24 Jan 2011, 12:41

Yeah I had LIS and Fissurectomy on August 4th 2010, I would of been fine just having LIS, it's the Fissurectomy that causes the most pain and what has hampered my healing process IMO, that's why I'm now looking at years instead of months to heal fully..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby desperatehousewife » 28 Jan 2011, 01:13

New mum and Steve Pain/ or anyone else who wants to advise:
I was just wondering how long your CRS' told you it would take for your fissures to heal? Did they give you reasons for your pain? My fissure seems smaller than what it used to look like in the mirror. At one time I thought it was gone but still had that pressure sensation. Can you still see your fissures? My fissure pain isn't as bad as it used to be that is for sure, but I have other issues as well.
CRS has me booked for another surgery this coming Friday and I had my first one on Aug. 16th. Do either of you experience a pressure sensation in the rectum/vagina after having your fissures for a long time? I posted before but only got 1 response about that question. I'm just so scared about getting the second one done, especially since I'm not convinced myself that the fissure is the result of my lower left stomach knife - like stabbing pain sensations or the constant rectal pressure I feel. My CRS believes that I have pelvic floor dysfunction from the fissure or from childbirth 1.8 years ago now and once that clears up I should balance out. My problem is that I'm scared to death that he's only offering a repeat surgery because he doesn't know what else to do with me. My other primary doc has given up on me too as I've had so many tests coming up negative (cat scan, bone scan, colonoscopy) etc. So frustrating as I know I can't live like this. I'm actually on an unpaid leave from work right now because the chronic pain has taken its toll. I am also worried as there is another poster on this site that has had the pressure sensations for over 10 years and thinks he may have a fissure but no crs can find it. From conversing with him, our problems sound very similar. So it makes me think that I might be risking incontinence and possible infection for a problem that may never go away especially since no one on this site has similar sensations as I do. My CRS also told me I have 2% chance of uncontrollable flatulance and mild soiling with the second surgery. When I asked his secratary about other patients with incontinence she started to tell me something but then clampped up when she saw the CRS. I am also wondering how my lil sphincter will hold up in 40 years. Are there any long term studies done on this? Any thoughts/advice?
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby StevePain » 28 Jan 2011, 03:52

desperatehousewife wrote:New mum and Steve Pain/ or anyone else who wants to advise:
I was just wondering how long your CRS' told you it would take for your fissures to heal? Did they give you reasons for your pain? My fissure seems smaller than what it used to look like in the mirror. At one time I thought it was gone but still had that pressure sensation. Can you still see your fissures? My fissure pain isn't as bad as it used to be that is for sure, but I have other issues as well
Well I was told that I would be able to resume normal activities after 1 week which is total poppycock as 6 months down the line I'm still having problems, the main reason for my pain was the fissure, no hemmorhoids were present.
I can't see my fissure in the mirror but when I insert my finger I can feel like a rough edged line around the 12'0 clock region which I presume is the fissure after Fissurectomy was performed, very occasionally I have pressure but not often and my fissure pain is nowhere near as intense as pre-surgery.
My only hope is that I don't have something else going on down there because of the discomfort issues I'm having lately.
StevePain
King Fissure