Scheduled for Surgery Aug 17....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled for Surgery Aug 17....

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2007, 08:30

and I am a nervous wreck! I am really worried about the general anesthesia. Is it true no makeup, deodorant, etc. in surgery? I have not been given any instructions on this. Can someone help?
I am new to these boards, but from reading, I just don't have the pain that everyone else describes. I have not noticed any muscle spasms, and have pain and blood only with a BM. This has been going on for close to a year. I thought it was internal hemorrhoids and kept putting off getting it checked out. The pain got pretty intense though with BMs, but that is basically the only time it hurts. It does itch quite a bit.
I saw a colorectal surgeon on Monday, and he diagnosed a fissure and said it would not heal on its own because of scar tissue and the deepness of the actual fissure. He could not believe I was not in pain.
Thanks for listening, :D
Jennie

Re: Scheduled for Surgery Aug 17....

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2007, 10:22

Hi Jennie,
Welocme to the forum. Yes it is true you can't wear make up or jewlelry either. They also should of told you nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Did they say a pre-op nurse would call you?? I just had botox 8/6/07 and I went right into the O.R. for that. Make sure they know all the meds, vitamins and herbals you are taking too. Ask them if it is ok to take anyhting right up until the day of your surgery. I had to stop Advil 5 days before. Don't be scared of general anesthesia. It is a piece of cake. But if I were you I would call the CRS office and ask them about any special instuctions. Don't be afraid to ask questions it' won't hurt it can only help.
Good luck Patty

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2007, 15:31

I was given an instruction sheet by the CRS office that did say not to eat and had other pre-op and post-op instructions. Nothing was mentioned about not wearing makeup or jewelry though.
Thanks,
Jennie

Postby happyass » 11 Aug 2007, 07:26

it's best not to wear makeup, colonge/perfume, and please remove all your jewelry - earrings, rings, watches, ankle braclets, good luck charms, etc.........
this is more for your safety rather than theirs and plus, they don't want to be accused of stealing anything while you are under :-)
what time is your procedure on the day of?
it's best to not eat anything after 10 pm the day before your prep. and the day of your prep, it's light, colorless liquids only. you can have like broth of soup but nothing in it. from my experience, it was okay to continue to take medication that i was taking.
make sure they know what you are taking medication wise for further advise from them.
you should have a pre-op consultation by the facility to go over any questions or concerns you may have.
again, you will be wonderfully fine and if anything, a bit of a nervous wreck if you are anything like me :-)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2007, 11:59

Just wear a bit of makeup if it makes you feel better, I did and they won't be able to tell.