Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Postby cherylk » 10 Feb 2011, 01:08

I've had two flex sigs and they are not fun. I also used to have endo!! Best wishes for rapid healing!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 Feb 2011, 01:41

Hey, good to hear you made it out intact! The enema (I used the Fleets kind with the hhuuuuuuge nozzle) was the worst prep part for me too. Now that the worst is over, rest up and keep us updated on how things go!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bumbutt » 10 Feb 2011, 02:06

Yes, glad you are done with the most unpleasant part, and I hope you have some things around you to keep yourself happy, distracted, and entertained. TV, magazines, music, whatever! Oh yeah, and us! Image
I don't know if it helps you, but this is my own trick for painful gas... the all-mighty wheat-bag or heating pad is good for putting on the stomach/intestines area when I have gas... for some reason, it gets things moving rather than letting me feel bloated and uncomfy.
Keep us posted...! Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby sphinctersaurus » 10 Feb 2011, 02:36

Yeah, it was a Fleet enema for me too. When the nurse showed me the bottle, I felt like weeping! I took me a good 25 minutes in the bathroom to ... ahem ... get it all out, an OH LORD!! All I can say, is that the "Floral Bouquet" air freshner really had its work cut out for it, and I'm sorry to say, may have ultimately failed in its task!
Well, I've now moved on from worrying about the op itself to nail biting anxiety over my first BM! And when I'm done with that, I'll find something else!
My Grandmother helpfully suggested today that all of my problems stem from Veganism. Thanks Nana!
Bumbutt - I'm trying the wheat bag right now! Thanks!
:)
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2011, 08:26

Good it's over with for you Sphinct.
Try not to worry so much:) Just keep up your routine, what you already know works. Image

Postby alpinestrawberry » 10 Feb 2011, 10:11

Yay! So glad it's over!
Your grandma's advice is just gold. This is why I've told very few people about this...the last thing I need is their uneducated opinions about why I'm suffering... Image
Should be all uphill from here!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby happyass » 10 Feb 2011, 10:18

big hugs 2 u sphinctersauraus!
the worst is behind you.
happy healing and take it easy.....in a few days, you'll start doing things normally again and then more, and then more...and well, it's like nothing ever happened. sorta!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby sphinctersaurus » 10 Feb 2011, 22:26

THANK YOU ... THANK YOU ... THANK YOU!!! Image
It's so great to have everybodys support!
So, after the horrible enema, I was wheeled off to a room to wait. It took quite a long while as apparently they were running late. I was on my own at this point, and well ... The mind does wander! I started to feel quite upset and frightened. Eventually the anaesthetist paid a visit and talked about what he'd be doing and the kind of pain relief I would be sent home with. I was given Paracetamol (acetaminophen), Diclofenac and Tramadol. He instructed me to take the Paracetamol and Diclofenac on a regular basis, but to reserve the Tramadol for severe pain only. I was also given some anti nausea medication to take with the Tramadol.
A short while later I was wheeled into the OR where everyone was waiting to get started. They didn't waste much time. Gave me a local to put the IV in my arm, had me move to another table, gave me the sleepy time meds, put a mask over my face and asked me if it was starting to work. And that's all I remember.
I woke up in recovery in a pretty uncomfortable state. There was no pain in my rear end but loads of pressure. At one point I coughed and had to stifle it from then on as it made me feel as though my anus was about to turn inside out! Then I got the shakes. My teeth chattered uncontrollably! As soon as one of the nurses noticed, she gave me something to stop it and it worked pretty quickly. I think I was in recovery for about 50 minutes, after which they wheeled me into a different area where I stayed for about 1 1/2 hrs while slowly but surely becoming coherent again. While I was there I spoke to the surgeon on the phone (as she'd already gone home).
She said that everything went really well and that she had done everything exactly as we had discussed - Sigmoidoscopy & Right Lateral Sphincterotomy with Skin Tag Removal.
Nothing sinister was discovered during the Sigmoidoscopy, so I'm pleased about that, as there's a history of Chron's in my family.
I'm a little over 24 hours out now and the pain has calmed for the most part. It got pretty sore last night, especially when I walked around, though sitting wasn't too great either. Bedtime was really tricky as my ruptured disc limits me to sleeping flat on my back, which was just not going to work. I just couldn't lie flat without butt pain. So I took two Tramadol and an anti nausia tablet. I also took something to help me sleep, which I really had not wanted to do, but I figured it was going to be hard to kick start the healing process without getting a good nights rest.
I woke without much pain at all. Since then, the pain has been steadily decreasing. A little painful when I sit, but almost no pain when I'm on my feet.
I took the bandage off and took some photos to get an idea of what was going on. It actually doesn't look too bad! Some bruising, an open wound where the tag was (not cauterized), and no evidence of stitches. The CRS told me that the op could be done one of two ways – “Closed LIS”, where, if she was able to feel a clear separation between the internal and external sphincter muscles (with her finger), she would take a very small scalpel and, guided by her finger alone, would make a small cut. She said that about 20 to 25 % of LISs are done this way and that should mine be closed, there would be no stitches and I likely wouldn't be able to find the scalpel's puncture point. “Open LIS” on the other hand would be performed I she was not able to feel clearly between internal and external, in which case she'd make a small cut just adjacent to the anus, find the Internal Sphincter and make the cut that way. Finally closing the wound with two stitches.
I can't find any stitches, so unless they are inside I'm assuming that mine was done "Closed" ... Hope so!
Still BM yet! Probably too soon to worry I guess ?
Sorry this is such a loooooong post!
By the way … For at least the time being, I have absolutely NO control over Farts. The first couple hurt like hell, but since then they’ve been painless and … unannounced!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 11 Feb 2011, 02:21

Thanks for the update - it's good to hear about your and others' experiences, and about the open and closed LIS. It sounds like you had a CRS who explained things, and that you are getting your money's worth!
Now I hope you can have a good balance between lying around and recovering, versus moving around enough to achieve the awaited "miracle first post-op poop".
What are you doing to keep yourself entertained while resting and recovering?
PS - my husband currently has his 2nd ruptured disk, so I know what you mean about having to lie on your back. We had a very interesting Christmas - him with his back, me with my butt - we were joking about buying one of those long reach mechanical grabber things that pensioners use, to pick up things on the floor, since neither of us could really bend over. Pathetic! Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby sphinctersaurus » 11 Feb 2011, 02:56

I've got one of those grabber thingys! They are actually really good! Bending over is probably the worst thing I can do with my back. Oh man ... Two ruptured discs! That's horrible. It can cause such a lot of pain. How long has your hubby had disc problems?
I'm still not 100% sure that I had a closed LIS. But since I can't find any stitches or any evidence of a LIS wound...
I just changed the dressing, and it's all looking good down there at the moment. Still no "Miracle first post-op poop". Hopefully it'll happen tomorrow. I've been trying to move around as much as possible. Too much though, and it starts to hurt. I had a bit of a coughing fit a little while ago, and that hurt A LOT! I hope my poop has not permanently deserted me!
I pretty much have no plan to keep myself entertained at all. It was too hot and humid here to do much of anything today. I've bored a couple of friends who called to see how I was. Does that count? Maybe they just were not after the kind of detail I'm so happy to provide!
I don't really think of this butt stuff as that gross anymore. I've become quite desensitized to it all. I'm pretty darn proud of my achievements in the smallest room in the house ... at least when things go well any way! :D
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist