Been 6 months, no pain, still there, should I have surgery?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Been 6 months, no pain, still there, should I have surgery?

Postby Mountaineer » 28 Feb 2011, 06:37

Hi, Im 44 yo female, and am trying to recover from this fissue, about 6 months now. I know when it happened and yes I was constipated. I DON't have any pain. I used to, but it's quite a bit better especially in the last couple of months.
However due to the following symptoms I did see a CRS about 3 weeks ago and he did confirm I had a fissure. He recommended I have the surgery and he would also remove the skin tags. However, this is difficult to coordinate with my family life right now. He said if I had the surgery, it really is the best fix.. I am unsure if he is saying this because he is a surgeon though. He did prescribe 0.2% nifidipine and I have been using it these past 3 weeks.
symptoms:
itchiness - sometimes very bad esp at night
bad rash - unsure why, but it is better. An abcess? or a reaction to something?
skin tags that are annoying
Occasional very tiny amount of blood.
sometimes what seem like little fissures in perineal area, like little cuts
The symptoms cycle from not too bad to quite overwhelming. I have been really good trying to use fiber and stool softeners. Having read about fiber and all it's health benefits, I do not feel like this is taking over my life, but something I should have done a long time ago. Also I used to be dehydrated all the time and I have fixed that.
Here's my question:
1) Should I postpone the surgery, currently on for March 18th?
2) Is there an option of having anal skin tags removed in an office setting? I can't find a clear answer on this. My dr does treat hemorrhoids in his office.
Thank you all for reading this, and any and all feedback. I will take any advice.
Mountaineer

Topics: 1

Re: Been 6 months, no pain, still there, should I have surgery?

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2011, 07:44

Hey there,
Sorry you have a fissure, but welcome!
I had LIS and a skin tag removed in October of 2010. I wouldn't post pone the surgery if it were me. All surgeries are an inconvenience but we have to take care of ourselves.
Your surgeon is right. For the majority LIS will easily fixs all the fissure problems. It did for me:)
As far as I know, some CRS's will remove skin tags in there office and/ or LIS. I personally wouldn't do it. I preferred not to feel those numbing shots go in my arse and you will feel that if you are in the office. I was told by my CRS 's PA that it would be very painful and I would feel it, So I chose to go the anesthesia/ surgery center route. It only takes a few hours of your time and is same day and you can leave and go home- here in the US.

Re: Been 6 months, no pain, still there, should I have surgery?

Postby desperatehousewife » 28 Feb 2011, 12:21

Mountaineer,
If you are not having fissure type pain (spasms/glass feeling) then I would consider a second opinion before you go for surgery. That being said, skin tags are usually indicative of fissures.
-If you have a rash it could be from: allergy to ointment/toilet paper etc.,
-dermatitis ( I had this on my female region for months - agony! turned out it was my apartment - as soon as we moved out we realized that black mold was everywhere (behind my bed on the wall even!) and then my symptoms went away with the use of a hydrocortizone ointment. My symtoms were gone completly in 5 days after months of pure hell.
-Or irriation from bm on your fissures.
- or worms! My friend had this, she picked up parasites while on one of her yearly 5 tropical trips a year (I'm so jealous!) or from her incessant love of sushi. Worms are most itchy at night. I doubt you'd have that though, just something else that came to mind.
As for the cuts on your perenium, have you seen a gyno or dermatologist (a dermatologist is who diagnosed my dermatitis after months of yeast infection creams and pills from various gynos and gps). I recommend both. I'm wondering if you could google lichensclerosis and see if any of your symptoms match. If so, I suggest a dermatologist, especially a female who would be more sensitive.
Do you bath regularly (3X a day?) Especially after a BM is very important. Perhaps that could get rid of some of your itchiness. Baby wipes instead of toilet paper might make the wiping process easier too. What about using a barrier cream on your perenium until you get into see a doc? That might relieve some of your discomfort. Hope this helps!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10