Mucus/Discharge Post-LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Mucus/Discharge Post-LIS

Postby ss616 » 30 Apr 2011, 16:45

Hi Folks,
Going on day 8 here after LIS. I wanted to get some advice from LISers about 'discharge' after their LIS and/or fissurectomy procedures. Other than my blood scare yesterday, what I have is through out the day, I get a pink/brown mucus that forms/comes out of the Fissure site. It's a small amount, about the size of a pea or two, it tends to be brownish and reddish as it mixes I believe with a little bit of blood and stool.
Mine happens to be a pretty funky smelling mucus but I have zero fever feeling. My doc said it's normal and can continue for quite a while as my fissure is now healing. He just told me to keep a cotton gauze folded in my crack to "put pressure against the fissure".
My question is, how normal is this? how long does it last?
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Mucus/Discharge Post-LIS

Postby Elphie » 01 May 2011, 07:32

3 days out from LIS I have it too, pinkish brown. Not much yet but doc said discharge could last up to 4 weeks. Have u had any fissure pain at all? Are you still sitzing alot? For me the sitz bath seems to put pressure so I just do ten minutes in a warm shallow bath. I'm afraid to go longer I don't want stitches to dissolve.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Bambi » 01 May 2011, 11:23

I think it is very normal, although I think you are wise to take your temp if there was an odor. I had a discharge for several weeks -maybe the first month for sure. I found the gauze I was using to sometimes just be annoying. My discharge was similar, although it changed to more of a straight brown after the first few days for me.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby ss616 » 01 May 2011, 23:18

My discharge is only the size of a dime or less, it's pinkish brown still and continues till this day. Do all keep in mind that I not only had LIS but also a fissurectomy due to an infected AF that the CRS said "cleaned out the infection" and cauterized the AF. So this discharge/mucus is probably part of my body's healing process.
I did finally get to look at the AF and I have to tell you, it's a lot larger than I had originally thought. It does look like it's healing and a new layer of skin seems to be growing across it. I hope I continue to recover and heal.
So lets hope in the next few weeks the discharge also disappears with the fissure being healed!
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby frustrated » 02 May 2011, 09:39

Yep..pinkish brown and kinda smelly....got it too!
Taking your temp is a good idea since you did have an infection.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby alpha » 07 Jun 2011, 16:20

I have that too. Pinkish and brownish discharge. Looks like mix of blood, stool and mucus? I am day 6 from op. How much longer until this discharge stops?
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby ss616 » 10 Jun 2011, 11:19

Takes a while bit it goes away after 4-6 weeks... have patience and faith, it'll go away!
The mucus I have learned is my body's way of covering the wound to ensure healing.
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2011, 13:04

I am 3 week post LIS and also occasionally have tiny brownish or greenish discharge similar to non fluid nasal secretion. I feel well, no fever, so I do think it is infection involved. A bit worried about this.

Postby frustrated » 10 Jun 2011, 15:55

I am almost 7 weeks post op and I'd say this last week was the first with no discharge...so yeah 4-6 weeks.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby kmrtn6 » 30 Mar 2016, 20:26

Thanks folks feel bit better reading comments
am 2 weeks into recovering from lis. Getting green mucus discharge by end of day. Still bit of pain on one side and bruised externally still
kmrtn6