Thinking of LIS - your advice please!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Thinking of LIS - your advice please!!

Postby mashmetoo » 17 May 2011, 17:09

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for the discomfort you are in Redcharger.
I've some more questions, for the freezing needle, where exactly do they stick it in you to cause so much pain? Is it right into the sphincter muscles? Right next to the opening area? All of your descriptions of the horrendous pain has really turned me off from this whole surgery notion, as I really don't have "any" unbearable pain, and it's just the occasional annoying bleeding.. I recall that Dr Rudd (himself) said that there are "always side effects from surgery"... sooo I'm very hesitant to do this now...
RedCharger - for the Diltiazem they prescribed for you, is it in a pill form or a cream? (I think I'll go there once again but ask for some meds, and ask him again if I need surgery...)
Also, has anyone heard of "laser fissurectomy" treatment in the Toronto? I hear that it is a better alternative as they just seal the fissure shut. However, after extensive internet searches, I have not found any clinics that offer laser fissurectomy treatment... If anyone is aware of where one is located in Toronto (or Los Angeles - I'm there most of the time), PLEASE PLEASE tell me!!
mashmetoo

Topics: 1

Postby Elphie » 17 May 2011, 17:30

I heard of a guy who got his layered shut in California on the anal fissure self help page, I'll see if I can find it for you...
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Elphie » 17 May 2011, 17:33

http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/patient_47.html
I asked my CRS about this he said they don't do it in Canada
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Elphie » 17 May 2011, 17:35

Sorry, link doesn't work, I'll copy and paste... It's long
Patient 47
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:57:59 Subject: Anal Fissure
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:09:28 -0700
Hello,
In an effort to handle this problem, I will share how I got mine fixed. I had surgery for an anal abscess which was about 1 inch inside the anus. The surgery didn't do the trick after soaking and dieting for 5 months. Then a second surgery seemed to work but 3 months later after soaking and dieting a fissure developed. A deep fissure at 6 o'clock on the anus. It didn't bleed very much but was quite painful. I had to use an tube to sit on, everywhere I went. I had some granulation removed in the doctors office also. Anyway, this pain in the ass went on for a couple of years. I had enough of surgeries that didn't work.
Then I found this doctor in LA. His name is Dr Denk at the Shaw Health Center. He told me to come down and he'd laser it shut in 10 minutes. So that's what I did. No prep, no taking that awful liquid that purges the system, no long admittance into the hospital, no being put under. I lay on the table, he put in 2 shots of Novocain into the rectum. That hurt a bit. Then, he fired up the laser and welded it shut! He said the laser actually sterilized the area as it burned and cauterized. So in about 5 minutes it was over. A little painful yes but over. He told me to apply MSM lotion on the anus when I went to bed. The MSM cream is a sulfur based product that over time, gets rid of the scar tissue. So, today, I'm doing fine. I have a little burning now and then but apply MSM and it handles it. No Bleeding, no fissure. He charged me very little. That's it.
I don't know why doctors want to go into surgery and cut. Dr. Denk has told me that he's had great success handling fissures this way. I feel bad for all you out there who don't know about this. Go do it. It's fast and it worked for me.
BT
Las Vegas
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:10:31 -0700
Hello Jack,
It's been 2 years since I had the 15 min procedure to close up my anal fissure.
Since then I went back after about 6 months because I had a little burning and thought that it came back. The doctor examined and said it was OK. He said to keep applying MSM lotion to the area and the scar tissue would dissolve. Now today, I still occasionally have some burning but really nothing too terrible. I use the MSM lotion which is sulfur based and has a deep penetrating quality that helps heal.
What I think about my current condition is that I've had 2 unsuccessful operations prior to the laser procedure. They actually cut a piece of skin somewhere about a half an inch inside the anus and now the "seal" is not as tight as it once was. So, I get a little leakage from time to time and it irritates the area. That's my think on what the burn is. The MSM usually handles this overnight.
So, I'm so happy that I've found this laser procedure. There's no prep, nothing. Just lay down on your side, suffer a little pain from 2 or 3 shots of Novocain, and the laser hurts a bit. However, think of the end result. Sounds too simple huh?
Well, check it out and maybe you can save yourself some time, money, and aggravation. My doctor's name is Dr Denk at the Shaw Medical Center in Hollywood.
This is the visit to this page since 24 July 2003.
Back to home page.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Elphie » 17 May 2011, 17:39

Btw, mash, the ointments should help you if you're not in too much pain your fissure may be acute. I was given nifedipine, there were no side effects for me, it did seem to be working but I didn't know about miralax back then and would retear every few days. The miralax stopped that for me.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 17 May 2011, 17:41

Hey mashmetoo - I'm sorry if I freaked you out. I do think that the surgery was good for me. I just wish it had been done differently. The needles went into the sphinter muscle, inside the anus. There were three of them. I was also given diltiazem, which you apply up the butt (about a pea size amount). I've not heard of lasers for fissures, sorry. If it's done, then it's probably done in the US. Maybe someone else can chime in. I wonder if perhaps you can ask for some tests to determine you anal resting tone, since you're not suffering from a lot of pain, just to make sure that surgery is not for you. I think Botox might be an option too, if ointments like diltiazem don't work. Please don't let my story scare you too much - I'm feeling better than I was before surgery. The trick is finding the right surgeon.
Deleted User 579

Postby mashmetoo » 17 May 2011, 17:56

Thanks elphie, I saw that post with the guy who got it lasered shut a few weeks ago and I did look into it further. Unfortunately, Dr. Denk passed away several years ago, and the Shaw Health Center is no longer present - the property got sold, and the new management don't offer that service now (I called in and confirmed) . Image
mashmetoo

Postby Deleted User 579 » 18 May 2011, 07:24

Hey Mashmetoo – I’ve been thinking about your situation and how difficult it must be for you to make a decision about what to do. So I thought I’d offer my own, very humble, opinion about what I would do if I were in your shoes. Please take this with a grain of salt, because I’m not an expert, of course!
Since you are not in agony, if I were you I would ask my doctor to refer me to a colorectal surgeon affiliated with a hospital. I hear Mount Sinai in Toronto has a very good colorectal team. It may take a while to see someone, but since you’re not suffering a great deal of pain, perhaps you can tolerate the wait. I would then ask the surgeon to measure my anal resting pressure (a manometry, I believe it’s called). The main reason fissures don’t heal is because the sphincter spasms and gets too tight. If your sphincter isn’t too tight, then surgery (LIS) is likely not for you. If that’s the case, then the Rudd Clinic will not be able to help you. They only do a limited number of procedures, and only those that don’t require general anesthesia. I’m pretty sure the Rudd doesn’t offer botox either. So, if an LIS is not an option for you, it would be better to work with a surgeon at a hospital, because then they might be able to explore options like Botox, or a fissurectomy or botox with a fissurectomy, or an anal flap surgery, where they graft tissue over the fissure (I believe a few boardies here have had that done). I’m suggesting that you get a referral to a surgeon at a hospital now because our wait-times in Canada are ridiculously long and it would be better to get the referral now than wait until you run out of options at the Rudd Clinic. Also, I would avoid moving too quickly into surgery at the Rudd Clinic until you know that an LIS is appropriate for you and not cause unpleasant side effects.
Anyway, those are my thoughts. I’m very sorry you are struggling with this – I definitely sympathize! And I really hope you find a solution very soon.
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 18 May 2011, 13:20

Sorry, mash, it was an old article. I agree with hopetoheal, if you're not in pain, I'd wait for a proper surgeon. I felt 75% better after a few days. At three weeks I'd say I'm 90%. but I was in constant burning pain 24/7 before that so NOT having the surgery wasn't an option for me. My husbands a terrible cook too, the kids are happy they're getting good food again lol! Good luck, I hope you figure out what to do, in your case it's a hard decision.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby goyalonkar40 » 21 Mar 2014, 11:22

hi elphie, if u still use this forum, pls tell how u r doing now....hv u resumed ur old normal diet or still food precautions? r u using stool softeners or fiber now?
is laser procedure a success?
was this a carbondioxide laser procedure or diode laser or smth else?
is it better than LIS etc?
goyalonkar40
Fibre Addict