Bleeding Post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Bleeding Post LIS

Postby WantToPlayTennisAgain » 31 May 2011, 08:26

Hey all,
First time poster here. I underwent LIS surgery this past Thursday (May 26). So now I'm 4+ days into recovery and I'm still finding bloody streaks in the morning stool. My friend, who is a GP, said this is abnormal, but when I called my CRS's office this morning, the nurse said that it's only a concern if this still happens a week and a half after surgery.
The pain of passing the stool isn't unbearable (about on par with an average day of when I had the fissures), but it's always harder than I'd like--despite taking 2 tablespoons of psyllium fiber a day and using Miralax. My concern is that I don't know where the blood is coming from, either the stitches from the surgery (just inside the anal opening, I assume) or--day I say it--from the area where I had the fissures in the first place. I've been using water to clean up after the BM, and I've noticed that it feels like I still have fissures at the very front of the anal opening. The opening does seem wider than before the surgery, though.
What are your thoughts?
WantToPlayTennisAgain

Topics: 1

Re: Bleeding Post LIS

Postby Deleted User 579 » 31 May 2011, 11:03

Hi Wanttoplay - Congratulations on your LIS!
Blood four days out is not a problem, IMO. I had the blood streaked stool for a little more than a week post-LIS (I had it pre-LIS too!). In fact I still had some blood, mostly just a bit on the toilet paper, 15 days post-op, but that may have been from where I had a skin tag removed. I just got my 3-week-post-op follow up yesterday and the CRS said I'm healing very well. So I actually wouldn't worry at this point. The fissure itself will take a while to heal - 6 to 8 weeks seems to be a standard time frame, although some heal quicker than others.
I asked the CRS yesterday about how wide my fissure site is now. I asked him how on earth a wound that wide actually heals. He said that it heals from the bottom up and shrinks and then the sides come together eventually. I can already see new skin forming on the wound (my fissure is very close to the edge at about 12 o'clock ... maybe 11:40!).
So , the fissure may still bleed a bit for a little while, but that's just because the LIS isn't an overnight cure for the fissure - it just creates the conditions for the fissure eventually heal.
I hope that helps! And I hope you are doing well today :)
Deleted User 579

Postby WantToPlayTennisAgain » 31 May 2011, 16:57

Thanks so much Hope! This definitely makes me feel better mentally.
WantToPlayTennisAgain

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2011, 04:04

I had LIS surgery 3 weeks ago. Now it is almost no pain, just some discomfort there and some itching. So, I definitely feel, AF wound is still not closed. I visited my CRS few days ago, but he did not check me inside with anoscope, only looked at my butt quickly.
Today after BM (enough loose stool btw), I had some bleeding (on TP and a bit on the stool), and I am very concerned about it. I am afraid that it can point that LIS did not succeed..... OMG...
Do I need to worry and run to my CRS again?
Post LIS guys, did you experience some bleeding 3+ weeks after LIS?
Thanks

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Jun 2011, 14:42

Hi Sovel - I don't think you should be worried yet. I'm a few days past three weeks post-LIS myself and I've had a bit of blood for the past four days. A little streaking on the stool and a wee little bit on the TP. I think the blood is coming from the fissure, but it could be coming from the skin tag excision site. At this point, though, I'm not too worried even if it is the fissure. The pain and spasming have diminished dramatically (now I get only very, very mild stinging and strange not-quite-pain sensations), and I can also see and feel things healing down there. So I'm not very worried at this point. My CRS said 6 to 8 weeks to heal, and I'm only a little way past half way to the earliest I can expect to be healed. And, it's not uncommon for people to take a bit longer than 8 weeks to heal. So my opinion is that it's still too early for either of us to be too concerned. But, maybe those with a longer post-LIS experience can give us their opinions. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2011, 15:01

Thanks hopetoheal, my CRS also told me that full healing could take 6-8 weeks. Yes, it is interesting to hear other post-LIS ppl about the bleeding during post LIS healing period.

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2011, 15:11

hopetoheal, btw, I also had tag removal. The tag place seems is healed up. So, I pretty sure that the the bleeding comes from the fissure itself. It just says that the wound is still opened and this is why I am a bit worried. Let's hear others....

Postby MattMecham » 04 Jun 2011, 23:08

sovel wrote:hopetoheal, btw, I also had tag removal. The tag place seems is healed up. So, I pretty sure that the the bleeding comes from the fissure itself. It just says that the wound is still opened and this is why I am a bit worried. Let's hear others....

I'm a little over two months post-LIS, and I had no bleeding at all since the surgery. I know that doesn't help to ease your mind at all, but as Hope said, the LIS only creates an atmosphere where healing can take place. As long as the blood is bright red and only streaked on the side of the stool, take comfort in that you are most likely not bleeding further up in your colon -- it is from the fissure site. Isn't it nice to not have that searing pain anymore when you have a bowel movement? I am eternally grateful to my surgeon, who isn't even a CRS, just a little ol' General Surgeon (but he's done over a hundred LIS's). Just stay relaxed, and take it easy. Stress can hinder healing. Also, try taking flax meal with some yogurt once a day -- flax has extraordinary healing capabilities. Also, you may want to try some Wheatgrass Skin Recovery Cream -- it can help speed up the healing process. A little pricey, but I can attest to its healing properties.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2011, 23:49

Same here, my CRS said 6 weeks to heal. I think I saw blood on the stool twice the first week of surgery. I had a tag removed also and I would see some blood from that on a pad during the first two weeks, but nothing on the bm's.
By reading some of the older post,I don't think it's unusual to see some blood for longer periods of time than what I experienced.

Postby momof7 » 18 Jun 2013, 18:09

I know this is an old thread, but for those who search the internet for answers, I had LIS plus 3 quadrant hemorrhoidectomy. My hem'ectomy sites are healing well. At 10 days post LIS I had a large soft BM covered with blood on the left side. Later the same day I had a fecal/blood discharge that felt like expelling gas. Also, left side was mostly blood. The bleeding is from the Lateral Incision site, not from the fissure. It is completely normal, and my CRS has told me that I may experience intermittent bleeding from the LIS wound until it completely heals...6-8 weeks.
We get so hyperfocused, especially when we have been in the torturous pain we've been experiencing long before deciding to have the LIS. The best thing to do is relax.
I found it odd that my bleeding didn't start until so long into recovery. However, my surgeon *may* have used local anesthetics that contain epinephrine which inhibit the bleeding. I haven't asked.
I read on a KaiserPermanente site not to be concerned unless you have lots of bright red bleeding that doesn't stop after ten minutes of direct pressure to the anal region. Fortunately, my bleeding has only occurred with stools and for the next dressing change or two. (I have the transient incontinence and change dressings every 1 1/2 to 2 hours or sooner if I feel pressure on that left side. Glad my CRS told me where he made the cut. =)
Hang in there!
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6