New to forum and thinking of LIS surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum and thinking of LIS surgery

Postby Pavel96 » 30 May 2011, 15:10

Greetings,
I am new to the forum, have read a lot of great info from everyone. I have been suffering from a AF for a few months now, it has yet to heal. I am still hoping, but I am scared about going for LIS surgery. Has anyone had severe complications after surgery ? Still have a lot more reading to do, I think my AF is better than it was, (I no longer feel like I passed a running circular saw with a diamond cutting blade through my rear) during a BM, but my pooper-shoot is far from being a happy customer. Wow what a way to spend a holiday on this forum, but I am just about at the end of the road with this issue. may have to resort to the knife soon UGH :-(
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: New to forum and thinking of LIS surgery

Postby Guest » 30 May 2011, 15:53

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum :) I had LIS and skin tag removed in October 2010. My recovery went very well. I think it's realistic to go into the recovery expecting some discomfort. Read all of the surgery experiences on here that you can to give you some what of an idea of what to expect...
I would do it all over again if I had too. For me having the fissure was much worse than my LIS. I honestly would not have waited as long as I did had I known what I do now.

Postby Elphie » 30 May 2011, 18:34

I completely agree with dawn, I can't believe I waited so long, but in Canada you're not given much choice. I had three days of pain, much more manageable than fissure pain, I still have to be careful but I'm a month out from surgery and I feel like I have my life back. Don't be afraid of surgery, it was a breeze! Be more afraid of all the time you'll lose hoping it will heal. I would do it again in a heartbeat, life without the burn is HEAVEN!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Pavel96 » 30 May 2011, 23:49

Thanks for the tips, I am going to read everything over and have till Wed to decide if I want to schedule the surgery, I think my biggest worry is not the surgery itself but how long of a recovery, I was laid off in jan from my job so now have a new job but no paid time off so realistically the CRS does surgeries on Friday so I hope I am recovered enough to go back to work on Monday, is that realistic or no ??
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Postby mbpaul » 31 May 2011, 07:03

Hi Pavel96: One thing you'll discover is that people recover at different rate after LIS. I was able to drive a few hundred miles to and from NYC three days after surgery. But, my CRS had recommended that I stay away from work for seven days post LIS. I stayed off, even though I was feeling pretty well.
I think that a most important consideration is the skill of the CRS. So, I recommend that you ask your CRS how often he/she performs an LIS and what are his complication rates.
My CRS was quite pleasant so we had no problem raising these matters with him (my wife was the one who asked the tough questions).
Good luck, and as others have said, living with AF is much worst than anything LIS can throw your way.
Last edited by mbpaul on 31 May 2011, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Postby sidra1968 » 31 May 2011, 07:27

Hi Pavel.
I had mine done on a Tuesday morning and worked a full day the following Sunday, but I have a job where I can both sit and stand. Looking back, I remember walking too much that day, but I did do it.
I would definitely ask for Monday off and try to make it Tuesday, but really it depends on what you do for a living.
Finally, don't be scared of the "surgery", be scared of NOT having it done!
It's so, so minor compared to most things. Just expect some soreness and manageable pain/discomfort..nothing near as bad as an af tearing thru you like shrapnel.
Good luck and keep us updated!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Elphie » 31 May 2011, 08:08

As long as your job doesn't involve heavy lifting, you should be fine, everyone heals differently but if you've been going to work WITH your fissure pain, working without the burn would probably be much easier. The difference, for me anyway, was night and day. You'll be tender after only three days, but again, post surgery pain was much better and manageable than before surgery. Good luck, I hope you come up with your solution, don't suffer any longer than you have to, you CAN get past this!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Pavel96 » 07 Jun 2011, 13:01

Well I just called today to schedule my LIS surgery, its going to be on the 22nd, hopefully I will be able to slay the Dragon this time for good, I have dealt with back pain several years of my life but that is nothing compared to the AF dragon of pain. I will give an update after my visit with the knife :-)
Pavel96
Fibre Addict