How do people cope with work and having an AF?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How do people cope with work and having an AF?

Postby Sue27uk » 18 Jun 2011, 08:04

I have been off work for a while due to other problems and an AF. I am due to go back on Monday but have been in alot of pain today and have had spasms all day and aching in my coccyx. I don't want to have to ring in sick again and let them down. Any tips for coping? :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: How do people cope with work and having an AF?

Postby val » 19 Jun 2011, 01:46

That's tough, Sue. I can't imagine having to work with all that going on. I don't work, but do have to take my son lots of places as I home-ed him, and I did find it difficult to try to carry on as normal.
Do you have to go back? Would it be possible to get more time off until you feel a bit better?
I bought a cushion with a shape cut out in a mobility shop which helped sitting. And I took a hot water bottle everywhere with me. But that would possibly be akward in a workplace.
Maybe others who have coped with that will be along soon.
Good luck, I hope your first day back isn't too bad, or hopefully you can get some more time off.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby StevePain » 19 Jun 2011, 15:19

Hi Sue, I can honestly say that I couldn't work when my fissure was at it's worst, I had to give up as the pain and discomfort took over every aspect of my life, now I've had LIS I have become self-employed so I can work when it suits me (I.E. when my ass is behaving) which isn't very often of late..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Joseph » 19 Jun 2011, 17:06

Steve, your post got me to thinking. I would guess I've lost at least 20,000 this year when you add up the lost time at work plus medical bills. I didn't actually put it all together until just now after I read your post. One of my frustrations is that I don't think the doctors actually "get it" - that a fissure is not just annoying, but you literally can't work - sometimes for weeks at a stretch.
Like you, I'm also self-employed. It's gotten to the point where I've had to pass on jobs because of my fissure. The thought of flying on an airplane is completely out of the question. So frustrating!
Joseph
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Savaici » 19 Jun 2011, 17:34

Know what you mean about flying. Recently had to fly. Awful. And I used to love it. And also had to walk about more than usual, which was hellish. I have family all over the world, and begin to wonder how I will ever travel to see them again if I can't get this sorted.
Fortunately, don't go out to work, but it is still debilitating to work from home, but at least it is easy access to the loo and the sofa.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby New mum » 19 Jun 2011, 21:39

working i have now been off work for 1 1/2 yrs... also put off buying a home coz i cant go back to work. sucks that you have to go back to work hope you are not in 2 much pain.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Sue27uk » 20 Jun 2011, 10:10

Thanks guys. I ended up not going in this week, doctor has signed me off. Have since found that my next hospital appointment is......13th September. With the general surgical team, not even CRS. Am leaving it for 3-4 weeks and if not healed then I'm paying to go private as am not willing to keep being in pain. Just have to use my savings, before my pay drops to nothing at the end of June! Health is more important. :(
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21