Fiber question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fiber question

Postby BadtotheButt » 15 Jun 2011, 08:21

I am just a fissure baby with only having to deal with it for 5 weeks but I went to a CRS last Thursday and he said he believes I should be able to heal mine up with time and didn't want to see me again for 2 months. He also said to continue with my Nefipedine and stop taking the proctosol and start taking fiber. I am a weight loss surgery patient and I have no problems going once a day in the morning. It was always light and fluffy (sorry TMI) but since he was the doctor I followed his instructions. Prior to my appointment with him I was at a point where it hurt a little to go but the spasms were not there as much and tylenol really cut the pain - in my book on the road to recovery. I started the Metamucil on Thursday night and noticed that each morning I was having rather large formed BM's every morning (like enough for 3 people) and it started to hurt again like in the beginning so I have stopped the Fiber. I originally got the fissure from diahhrea from taking antibiotics. I only have 1/3 of my large and small intestines due to the surgery so I'm thinking the fiber was too much for me - has this happened to anyone else.
Now I'm back to square one and afraid to eat as the pain from going is way too bad. I'm hopeing each day gets a little better like it was before. I know I am rambling but if you'd made it this far - God Bless and thank you.
Kathy
BadtotheButt

Topics: 2

Re: Fiber question

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2011, 08:45

Hi Kathy,
I had the same problem with metamucil. I learned the hard way that it made my bm's too big when I had my fissure.
I just ate 20 grams or more of fiber a day and took a stool softener. Many people have the same problem with the metamucil. You may want to try benefiber or another fiber supplement. I opted for the stool softeners and just eating a fair amount of fiber and avoided unfriendly fissure foods.
Everyone has different regimens for making the perfect poop :oops: Unfortunately there's no one size fits all. If you feel the metamucil isn't working for you, then don't hesitate to stop and find something that works.

I kept tearing my fissure trying to do what the doctors told me to do( metamucil and docusate sodium). I had to experiment and with trial and error find what worked for me.

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2011, 08:47

ps...
there's no such a thing as TMI on here, Lol
And I forgot to say Welcome to the forum Image

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Jun 2011, 08:54

I second what Dawn says - Metamucil was not a good idea for me either. I switched to Miralax (Restoralax here in Canada) and I just make sure I eat a lot of fiber and drink lots of water. You should definitely use what works for you. It sounds like your poops were perfect before, so maybe your earlier routine was the right one.
Deleted User 579

Postby Hope » 15 Jun 2011, 15:24

Just want to add that fiber made things worse for me. Miralax seems to help keep things moving, for me, fiber just makes stools large and hard to pass when what we strive for is fluffy and slim.
Hope
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby BadtotheButt » 23 Jun 2011, 14:29

Hi guys - just a quick update. I will be six weeks tomorrow with this fissure and just today I am starting to feel a little more like normal. No pain this morning with my BM and no after shocks either. I know this could be a one day deal but I'm so enjoying it. After seeing the CRS and him telling me to take Metamucil and that putting me back at square one - I feel like I might be on the mend. I will continue to do my routine of 2 - 3 baths and my nefi cream but keeping my fingers crossed. I can't imagine what the majority of you go through on dealing with this for so long. Thank you all for the words of wisdoms and I'll be saying a little prayer for everyone to heal up.
Kathy
BadtotheButt

Topics: 2

Postby val » 23 Jun 2011, 14:41

Image yay, a success story! That's great news! I hope you do have total and complete healing, and never have to suffer through this again.
Having said that, I don't want to sound pessimistic - but keep up your routine, and don't be too surprised if it rears it's ugly head again. I hope it doesn't, but it is a bit up and down, this healing process!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86