How Soon Will I Know If Botox Has Worked?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How Soon Will I Know If Botox Has Worked?

Postby andy1505 » 24 Jun 2011, 07:30

Hi Guys
If you didn't already know i have my first Botox treatment on Tuesday 21st June 2011, difficult question but how long will i have to wait before i know if this has been successful?
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: How Soon Will I Know If Botox Has Worked?

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2011, 10:19

Hi Andy,
I don't have any experience with botox. NG and Bambi have both had it. You may be able to look through Bambi's posts. I remember NG telling her about how long it would take to work, but I can't remember. I don't think it always has a immediate effect and can take some time, but not sure exactly how long.

Postby Downthere » 24 Jun 2011, 10:27

I read a patient's instruction from a Swedish hospital to patients who have had a botoxtreatment. They write:
"You now had a treatment with Botox®, which should bring a halt to the cramping of the sphincter. This might heal you fissure. There is a small risk of incontinence. The effect of the Botox lasts 3 months and the fissure normally heals after 4-6 weeks.
If you after a months still are troubled, operation might be a possibility ..."
(Translated by me from Swedish ...)
Martin
Downthere
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2011, 11:56

http://anal-fissure.org/t2493-update-on-botox-day-3#51914
Hope this helps andy:)
I am not sure how long it takes before you know if it was successful in the long term, though.

Postby dexterdude » 24 Jun 2011, 12:48

I had it done on Monday morning. I felt it a bit from day 2 (no cramps/tightness anymore) but now on day 5 it really feels "it's on". I literally cannot tighten my muscle like before, it just won't do it.
But this is just me, far as I read it could be up to 1.5 weeks. My doctor told me 2-3 days.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby andy1505 » 25 Jun 2011, 01:47

Thanks for the links and advice.
It is taking sometime to get used to having reduced pain after having chronic pain for the last 6 months, its kind of wierd as i miss this a bit!!! I will soon enough not miss it so i can get to running and the things i like to do with my life!!
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 08:42

Aww Andy,
it's good to hear you are having less pain! It is a wonderful thing. I hope things continue to go well!! :)

How long does it take for Botox to work???

Postby 2ndtimearound » 10 Jul 2011, 06:48

I had botox 3 weeks ago and so far there is no improvement. My MD says that he usually sees results in 2 weeks and that it isn't working for me. I've scheduled surgery for September when my daughter returns to school. I've been just despondent. I was so hopeful that botox would work. When I've researched botox for anal fissures online, some sites indicate that it can take 4-6 weeks for healing. I'm just wondering what others have experienced. My CRS says I've been blessed (cursed) with an overly tight sphincter muscle and I'll need surgery to heal this. I had surgery 10 years ago and I'm so disappointed.
2ndtimearound

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2011, 13:45

Hey 2ndtimearound,
Sorry to hear your botox isn't working and you have already had LIS 10 years ago! Image What a freakin bummer! This is a fear I have myself that my sphincter will regain it's original strength!
I know this sucks but I hope it may give you some comfort that this happens and the second one does the trick. There's quite a few posts in here where some have had to have 2nd and in rare cases more LIS before getting long lasting results.
They say when the cut isn't sufficient the first time that another one may be needed. I can't believe it has been ten years and you need it again. Really not fair at all. I sometimes feel myself clenching in that area a lot and wonder if I'm not building up the muscle to become tight again,Lol. I know that may sound crazy?!!
I know it can't be any fun knowing you have to go through this again, but it is the best results for healing the stupid fissure. I just had surgery last year and even though I would hate to do it again, I would in a heartbeat if I got another one. Living with a fissure for the rest of my life would be much worse than having another surgery!
Good Luck! This is a very supportive place to be. I don't know if I could have done it without the good people and info I was gave here.