My Post LIS Journal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My Post LIS Journal

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2011, 19:54

alx,
Sounds like you are doing great. It got easier for me to hold the bm's a little longer as I healed. I would imagine the botox and the valium could be adding a little extra kick to the relaxing sphincter.
I cut the valium in half and just took one early in the morning right before my bm's which became very predictable, after my LIS.
Keep up the good work with the diet for along time! It won't be long and you will be able to eat some new food along with your high fiber! Image

Postby alx » 04 Jul 2011, 00:36

thanks Dawn - you are great
i think the first thing i will eat when im healed is a spicy chicken meal from wendys :]
alx
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby alx » 23 Jul 2011, 16:46

Just over one month post LIS surgery.
Things were going very smooth thanks to RestoraLax (MiraLax) & sodium docusate. Spasms have vanished and am no longer taking valium.
Today, for the first time, I had a minor setback and experienced some pain during a BM. I was trying to ween myself off of the stool softeners. This clearly was not the best idea at this stage in the recovery.
Dr said the fissure (from what he could see externally) looked 99% healed, and that was about one week ago. So looks like I still have to be extremely careful. Going to stick with the stool softeners another two weeks then start to consider reducing the dosage.
Today's set back really made me concerned/nervous as things had been going so well.
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby Elphie » 24 Jul 2011, 08:04

Three months post LIS, Friday I took my son to see the last Harry Potter film and decided, after three months of feeling normal, to have popcorn. Mistake. I've had minor bleeding since but no pain thank god, now I'm thinking it wasn't completely healed so I'm going to go back to my popcorn free diet for awhile longer. I'm still on three doses of fiber supplements per day and 1/3 dose miralax before dinner. Hope this helps!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 24 Jul 2011, 10:09

Sorry to hear about the little set back Elphie. I think NG had the same thing happen at about 7 months post-op and was eating all kinds of junk, pop corn included. Image
That is one thing I totally avoid to this day,LOL. Thanks to NG's post! I think it will be awhile before we can eat like we use to, but it sure is nice being able to eat many other things that I couldn't before!
Hope things get back on track for you. I'm sure they will! I had chili about a month or two ago and I didn't bleed or have bm pain but I had a little irritation. I guess it could be awhile longer before we are able to have some things that we use too. Only small amounts probably are safe.
Our butts give us warnings when we make mistakes, but it sure isn't as bad as fissure days.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 24 Jul 2011, 14:10

Hey Elphie! I'm so glad you are feeling normal again, :D but I'm sorry about the bleeding. You are very brave to try popcorn! I think Dawn is right that it will probably be a good while before any of us can go back to the food we used to enjoy, but I'm sure it will happen one day. Oh I do miss popcorn and chili! There will be a celebration in my house when I can eat that again ... maybe a year or so from now. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby alx » 25 Jul 2011, 16:34

So after having two bad BM in a row I wanted to see my doctor. Problem was, my doctor was 13 hours away as I was on a road trip. I also had another, completely unrelated health problem come up while on this road trip that requires me to have blood test.
So yesterday, I drove 13 hours straight to see my doctor. This morning, I woke up with a massive and painful hemorrhoid as result of the long drive while sitting awkwardly to compensate for the fissure.
I see the doctor tomorrow.
Still, I am happy to not be in as much pain as I was with the fissure. Now I just have to get this hemorrhoid dealt with, along with the fissure checked, and this blood test taken to hopefully reveal good results.
Pandemonium and panic.
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jul 2011, 14:08

Aww Alx! I'm so sorry you got a painful hemorroid :( That sucks! I hope it goes away soon. It's great news that the fissure pain has diminished, though.
I really hope you get good news today! Do let us know how things went at the docs.
Deleted User 579