AF and pregnant

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AF and pregnant

Postby beckandsimon » 01 Aug 2011, 06:29

Hi. I am a newbie. Aged 33 and from the UK. I am pregnant with our third child (12wks). I was initially diagnosed with an AF some 4 yrs ago a few months after the birth of our first child. I can't actually remember what was prescribed to me by my GP as I was still sleep deprived (!!) but I seem to remember it only taking a few days to fix.
This time round, I have been suffering with hyperemisis and have been hospitalised twice.I wad severely dehydrated and hadn't eaten properly for weeks. For about 3 wks now I have been on ondansetron anti sickness medication which whilst a wonder cure for the morning sickness has caused me constipation.
I went back to my GP, explained about the constipation and the AF pain I had been having for about 3 days and he prescribed me glycerin suppositries and Anusol Cream.
It worked after about 2 days but now, 2 wks later I am back to square one. My diet isn't great because of the hyperemisis. I am eating what I can, when I can...I am trying to increase fibre but the fear of the hideous sickness starting again in overwhelming.
Over the last 2 wks before this latest attack, a BM was never plain sailing but was so much easier. No stopping myself, no spasm that make me stand up from the toilet and clench my buttocks and only a fraction of the pain of before (I have piles too which I think cause some of the pain.)
As I am now in pain again, I wonder if anyone knows of anything I can take whilst pregnant to help me have a BM? Over the last couple of weeks, when I have been going, the poo is about the size of a golf ball, and hard. Ouch!
Many thanks if you can help me.
Beck
beckandsimon

Topics: 1

Re: AF and pregnant

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2011, 08:48

Hi Beck,
Sorry you are going through this ,especially while you are pregnant. I'm really not sure what is safe to take while pregnant to help with the BM's. I've read of a few folks on here taking the Miralax (US name)/ Movicol( in the UK, I believe) while pregnant. It's a life saver for most of us who had a fissure.
There's also fiber supplements(metamucil, benefiber,etc) that are safe without a doubt but may not help your situation. Some of us find that make the stool huge and causes re-tears, while others get pretty good results.
Eating plenty of veggies and fruits and drinking plenty of water will help some but usually for most fissure sufferers a stool softener is what helps the most.

Postby itpainsme » 01 Aug 2011, 12:16

Hi. I took Miralax and stool softeners during my entire pregnancy with my last child. I had issues with the prenatal vitamins I was taking causing constipation due to the high iron content. I switched to a regular vitamin, but to be on the safe side my doctor recommended that I continue to take Miralax and stool softeners. It did not cause any problems for my baby and I took it through the whole pregnancy. I would definitely talk to your doctor about taking these because they soften the stool and it sounds like you really need that right now.
It is hard enough dealing with an AF, but being worried about what you can actually use to treat it safely during pregnancy makes it even harder. I hope you get some relief soon.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby val » 01 Aug 2011, 13:47

Oh, poor you! Yes, movicol is brilliant stuff, check with your doctor if it is safe to take, it will make things so much less painful. In the meantime, how about prune juice?
Anusol isn't a great thing to use for a fissure, it's usually prescribed for piles. I don't know if any of the healing creams are safe to use in pregnancy though.
I hope things get better for you soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Bernie » 05 Aug 2011, 11:41

Hi Beck,
I had HG in my first pregnancy, so you have my deepest sympathies. (Have you come across this site?)
As others have said, I think movicol (laxido is the brand I use) is safe during pregnancy, but lactulose certainly is. And, if you're still struggling to drink much, the lactulose might be better (the movicol you have to mix with a glass ofwater). Also check which meds for the HG might have constipation as a side effect. I can't remember now, but the meds I had for HG were Buccastem, metachlopromide and another one beginning with c, so maybe you could talk to your GP to see if something different might help.
TBH, with HG, I'd worry less about increasing fibre, and more about increasing fluids. I hope I'm not 'crackering' you, but try jelly, ice lollies, any fruit juices/squash, soup etc. Anything with a high fluid content that you can keep down, is a good thing.
I got both my AFs from childbirth (DD2 is now 11.5mo and I still haven't healed yet); unfortunately it seems fairly common.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10