Will we ever be able to eat properly again??!!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Will we ever be able to eat properly again??!!

Postby val » 09 Aug 2011, 13:18

I used to have a really healthy diet before the fissure! Then I took amitryptiline for my neck problem and put on 3 stone, which increased when I lost my mobility after the neck surgery!
That's why I tried low carb, it gives very quick results. I'm on The Metabolism Miracle diet, which has been miraculous, but not very fissure friendly as its not much fibre.
I eat walnuts, peanuts, almonds and hazelnuts. I don't think I do chew them particularly well, but they seem to be ok. I'll probably have problems with them now, after saying that!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 09 Aug 2011, 14:03

Today, I have only ate cereal and some rice at tea time. I am so scared of eating right now. I wish I could be optimistic but currently I am not away from the evil bathroom lol...oh I wish I could just sleep until it's all over. Seeing GP tmrw...will have to fight for a sick note probably the incredulose, unsympathetic pig Image Why don't they understand how debilitating this is??
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby cherylk » 09 Aug 2011, 15:13

I eat pretty much anything I want, but am now watching the carbs after the most recent book I read, "Why We Get Fat."
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 579 » 09 Aug 2011, 17:20

Hey Andrea - hang in there! GPs are often horribly unsympathetic, but we are entitled to get what we need, so don't worry about having to fight for the sick note. Many of us have gotten, shall we say, "assertive", with doctors. It pays off!
And don't despair about the food either. Many of us lost a lot of weight while we were suffering with our fissures. I lost almost 15% of my body weight (I looked awful!). But I am now getting to the point where I can eat what I want without worrying about how it will feel on the other end. Image I'll eat more healthy foods and lots of fiber for the rest of my life, but that's a good thing. And I'll be able to treat myself too.
I recently redecorated my bathroom so that it doesn't look like the torture chamber it used to be. I'm much more comfortable in that room now. :D
It'll get better - you will eat nice food and enjoy visiting your bathroom again! :)
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 09 Aug 2011, 17:37

Cheryl & Val,
You both have brought something to my attention with the carbs. I didn't realize that most high fiber foods are also high in carbs. I have poured the weight on since my LIS and have been eating tons of high fiber foods which I now see are very high in carbs. I think figuring out a healthy diet is going to be tricky with the carbs and fiber.
I found a web-site with high fiber low carb recipes. I think I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens. I am really getting fat and I know that's not healthy either. :roll:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=low+carb+high+fiber
Andrea, I was skin and bones before my surgery, embarrassed to go out in this small town I live in because I knew people had to be wondering if I was dying or had become anorexic. Now I'm trying to diet, so good news it won't last forever. It will come back on!

Postby cherylk » 09 Aug 2011, 20:42

Dawn,
I would really recommend reading that book! It is helping me deal with cravings for carbs. Thanks for that link. I will check out the recipes!!
I, like you, was too thin. It's like I am now talking about a different person. Even though we have extra pounds, it is still better than being too thin, I think. But I've lost a few pounds after reading the book!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2011, 11:02

I will look for the book, Cheryl. :) Thank you!
I agree, I prefer being over weight a little. I never want to be as thin as I was. Wow, I never thought there was such a thing as being too skinny until I went through this!