Day 1 of LIS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Day 1 of LIS

Postby Guest » 15 Aug 2011, 06:47

Well, today is day 5 and I'm feeling about the same. A little sore, but managing that pretty well with the pain pills and colace. The sitz baths help after bowel movements too. Haven't had any bleeding since day 2, and that was minimal. Honestly, the scratchy throat from the breathing tube is more irritating than the discomfort from the surgery.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Aug 2011, 07:13

Fantastic! You are healing so well! Image
Remember to pamper yourself for a little while yet, even if you are feeling good. You don't want to push yourself too much so soon after surgery. There's no reason to have a set back when you're making so much progress, and heck, how many opportunities do we get to pamper ourselves anyway? :D
Okay, no more nagging from me! Image I'm so glad you are doing so well!
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 15 Aug 2011, 11:29

Agony,
I am so happy to hear all is going well. I had surgery on July 29th and had a fistulotomy, hemrroidectomy (never know how to spell that lol), and maybe something done to a skin tag and fissure...still not sure about that part. lol He mentioned it pre-surgery, but the lady who takes my calls never mentions that at his office.
Anyway, I am glad your BM's are not bad. Mine have been so so, and then three times I have been constipated and that was very painful. I think I was overdoing it on the painkillers (lol) and not drinking enough water. So I have quit the painkillers now, and am being very careful about stool softeners, fiber, water, etc. Maybe a little too careful, since I went multiple times today. It has been a trial and error thing for me for sure. But all in all, it has gone better than the pain I anticipated pre-surgery. I think so many of us have had so much pain pre-surgery, that the surgery itself is only a little more than that.
I will say I have been lucky enough to take it very easy. I have been laying around for about 2 and a half weeks (on vacation and no kids to run after), so that has helped. I will probably go back to work in another week and a half. I don't want to rush it and mess things up. That will be about 4 weeks after surgery. I have a job where I can't take time to really go to the bathroom when I need, so I figure I have to be as healthy as possible before I go back. I hope your work becomes more understanding.
Good luck with recovery! You will find a lot of supportive people on here. I know Hope, Val, Dawn, as well as some others have been so helpful.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 15 Aug 2011, 20:44

Holy cow SummerGal, that's a lot going on at once! Yeah, the pain killers can be a real problem with the BM's (learned that the hard way...no pun intended...after my pph). The fiber/water stuff can really take some fine tuning to get just right too. Right now I'm eating between 36-42 grams of fiber/day and drinking 2-3 liters of water. Everyone on here has been extremely supportive which has been a big help in keeping my spirits up. My wife has never had these kind of problems and doesn't really get it. Can't blame her I suppose, I'd be burned out too after this many years of living with somebody who's constantly complaining...lol. These kind of issues really are dibilitating and throw a monkey wrench into just about every aspect of a person's (and their significant other's) life. Not to mention the costs that go along with multiple surgeries. Hopefully this one will take care of it for good. I hope you and everyone else on here is healing up well and feeling better. I've actually felt surprisingly good after this one, and hope that continues. As for work, they don't really have a choice thanks to FMLA. Besides, I'm not scared of losing a job anymore. Got laid off from my last job about 5 years ago and swore I'd never get that attached, or be that dependant, to a job again. This one just pays the bills and if I lose it I'll find another one (after I milk unemployment for a nice, long vacation since I've never tapped into it before...lol). But I doubt that'll happen. I've been there 5 years and aside from these issues am a very dependable employee. Get well soon!

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2011, 13:52

Well, today is day 10 and things are going quite well. Still a little sore and itchy after BM's, but at least no blood. I doubt I'll have to use the pain meds for more than another week at most. Haven't had the excruciating pain that I had pre-surgery so (fingers crossed) maybe this was the problem all along. Won't know for certain until I'm back at work and on my feet again all day. Next appt with doc is this Thurs so we'll see what he has to say. Hope everyone else on here is feeling well too.