My Solution

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My Solution

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2007, 18:20

I joined this forum for one reason; to share my experience in case there is someone else who may benefit. A rectum that is not loudly barking loudly is truly a blessing, and I will relay details here that I have never spoken to anyone - not my doctor nor my wife. It is just too embarrassing.
I am a 58 year old man and have suffered from hemorrhoids for well over 25 years and up to about 10 years ago, functioned fairly well just living with it. But then I began to have some slight hygenal problems, and hygiene is something I tend to be anal about (pun intended I guess). My doctor explained that because of the wrinkles it was difficult totally clean the anus after a BM, so I began to carry baby wipes with me. He had told me to use Tucs, I think they were called, but heck; they were about the size of a quarter. The wipes worked OK for a few years, but gradually I began to itch and hurt after every movement, no matter how much scrubbing I did afterwards. Actually, I think all that scrubbing may have caused the fissures, because if wipes were not available, I would wet the brown paper hand drying towels and use them, kind of rough.
In any event, the pain and discomfort grew worse and worse. Then, I was able to glance at the doctor’s notes during a follow up to colonoscopy. I don’t think I have to tell you people what kind of rectal torture occurs prior to that procedure. I saw that he noted anal fissures, a term I was unfamiliar with, but easily defined by its name. I went home and did a lot of research and thinking and adopted the following habits that work for me. Let me emphasize that it works for me. We are all different, and I freely admit that I could be wrong about what I will be saying. Also, it may be that these discoveries of mine are universally known by all and I am being naпve here.
First, I believe that fecal matter, no matter how minute, is an irritant. If one has hemorrhoids it is extremely difficult to totally clean the anus with dry toilet paper. In addition, extreme efforts to clean the hind side with other things, like chemically laden baby wipes and rough brown paper towels can actually make things worse by possibly creating the anal fissures.
Second, I believe that the occurrence of anal fissures then becomes a double whammy. Now, not only do you have the pain of hemorrhoids but the pain of the anal fissures. A movement aggravates the swollen vein and irritates the fissures.
After a lot of thought, I began the following regiments.
1. Increased my fiber intake, though choosing higher fiber foods and fiber supplements on those days when I knew I did not get enough fiber. The goal is large soft stools.
2. Established regularity. My trip to the bathroom only occurs in the later afternoon after I get off work. Establishing this routine is not as difficult as it may seem, the bowels can be trained.
3. Quit wiping. Well almost. I use dry toilet paper, but not too much.
4. Shower. I am not talking about the shower before bedtime, but I have pretty good water pressure and a massage wand. I adjust the wand to straight hard and fast pulsating streams, and aimed it directly at the anus for as long as it takes. This is not exactly a Kodak moment, but it does not feel bad. Messaging action feels good not matter where on the body it happen.
5. Pat dry, and get dressed.
Since I have established this routine, and I’m talking a couple of years here, the most discomfort that I have experienced is moderate ache from a hemorrhoid flare up. But that has happened only rarely, less times than the fingers on one hand.

Re: My Solution

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2007, 20:11

Theres a lot of good to be said for your approach, Firetech! Fiber and regularity are indeed essential parts of any good AF regimen. Toilet paper is a very important consideration, more so for some than others. I always got by with regular TP, while most of the the other posters swear by baby wipes, but no one will deny that water-washing would be best. It's so foreign to our modern western sensibilities, yet so sensible...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2007, 07:36

Thanks for taking the time to post and share with us your regimen and how you have been able to get relief from this ailment. I am so happy that you found something that works for you!
Thanks again!

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2007, 15:58

Firetech,
I am also glad you have found relief. I sit in the bath tub every morning after my BM, but before I get in I wet my TP when I wipe with warm water. It helps. What ever works for us which gives relief is a blessing.
Take Care
Patty

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2007, 04:12

Wetting the loo paper is a good idea, altho when I was really bad I had the mixer taps running in the bath, which is right next to the loo, and wiped myself with wet warm cotton wool afterwards, a clean lump eveytime, and it was very soothing .
The things we get up to eh ?

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2007, 14:17

And to think. I use to believe I was the only one in the universe going to these extremes.