Approximate Cost of Surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Approximate Cost of Surgery?

Postby Biaxident » 19 Sep 2011, 10:01

Greetings,
Although I'm still very new to the board, I've read enough to understand that my AF is not likely to heal through my current treatment of diet, baths, and diltiazem. I'm an American, uninsured, and scheduled to be in school for the next 3.3 years. So long as that is the case, my income will likely be limited to the roughly $800 a month I currently make. So long as I follow the high-fiber/water/softener regimen, I am experiencing almost zero symptoms, just a little itching and a general feeling of tightness.
The six-week deadline given to me by my CRS is a few weeks away. I expect the only courses of action she will recommend are LIS/Botox. So, my only question for now is, how much approximately do these procedures cost? I see little sense is racking up even more debt that I'll be hard pressed to pay back over what is, at this point, a minor inconvenience.
As always, thanks for your input!
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Approximate Cost of Surgery?

Postby Guest » 19 Sep 2011, 14:17

Hey Biaxident,
It would probably depend on where you get the surgery- hospital, surgery center, etc... I had mine at a endoscopic surgery center which save me thousands of $$'s. It was around $1200. They actually made more adjustments because I didn't have insurance- shocker- and I ended up paying about $800! I think it was around $20,000 in the hospital. From my experience they will often work with you if you aren't insured. That may be something you want to mention and discuss with your CRS. Another thing without Insurance you're required to put quite a bit down in advance before surgery in the hospital. I believe they wanted me to pay $5,000 in advance if I'm remembering correctly. I chose to go with the surgery center since I basically got the same care that I would have in the hospital. I would never get this procedure in the office or without anesthesia! That was my biggest concern but I got the works in the surgery center without the cost of the hospital.

Postby Guest » 19 Sep 2011, 14:19

Not sure about the Botox. I think it's fair to warn you that you could end up paying for several rounds of botox before healing and may still need LIS... So you could end up with quite a bit of $$ on the ass... Image

Postby Biaxident » 20 Sep 2011, 12:31

Dawn wrote: I would never get this procedure in the office or without anesthesia! That was my biggest concern but I got the works in the surgery center without the cost of the hospital.

Thanks for your quick reply! "In office" meaning the tiny little room where my CRS conducted the first examination? My understanding is that part of the LIS being a "minor surgery" is that they are typically performed in this sort of enviroment. Assuming that is the case, why would you object to such treatment?
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 20 Sep 2011, 14:26

It's really up to you and the CRS but I didn't want to be awake while shots were being put in my arse. and yeah I mean the office where they examine you. Image and typically it's not done in the office here in the US from all the posts on here.

This was brought up by the PA in my CRS's office as I was freaking out to hurry and get the surgery. He said they've only done it maybe twice and I asked if it was painful and he said yes, very painful!
I wouldn't have any surgery without anesthesia. That's really up to the individual and the CRS, I guess. Minor surgery or not, they're making a cut in the butt muscle Image and getting the shots while awake didn't sound to appealing to me!
There's been a few in here who have been awake for their procedure. Take a look in the surgery threads. Hopetoheal was one of the most recent.
Last edited by Guest on 20 Sep 2011, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 20 Sep 2011, 14:29

pss.. I would think the hospital operating room or a surgery center would be more sterile then the office. Just my opinion.
Here's Hopetoheals surgery experience:
http://anal-fissure.org/t2935-its-done-and-i-survived#57373
Another one from an older post- Robin:
http://anal-fissure.org/t272-i-did-it-surgery-this-morning-and-so-far-it-s-all-good#2672

Postby Guest » 20 Sep 2011, 19:26

Postby Biaxident » 20 Sep 2011, 22:07

Thanks for the info! I will look into these accounts!
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Sep 2011, 13:52

Hi Biaxident! I had an LIS done at a clinic with no anesthesia. My experience, as you may have already read, was HORRIBLE. I do, however, believe that much of that had to do with my surgeon. Another boardie here, Redcharger, had the same problem with the same surgeon (we both went to the Rudd Clinic in Toronto, and we both had Dr. McKenna). Redcharger decided the surgeon was too rough and changed to a different surgeon, who performed the LIS while he was awake and it wasn't so bad. Adam also had butt surgery at the same clinic with a different surgeon and it wasn't that bad either.
So, I'd say if you are going to have the surgery done at a clinic with only a local, make sure that you have a good surgeon who is compassionate and good at administering needles and who won't rush through the procedure. I think that how the surgery goes - how painful and traumatic it will be - really depends on the surgeon.
Deleted User 579

Postby pinpin » 22 Oct 2013, 12:49

LIS surgery in UK London, costs up to 2000 pounds. I got quotation last summer, but cancelled surgery very last moment.

150 anesthesia
300 surgeon
1300 surgery theater
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good