5 weeks post LIS AND still retearing

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

5 weeks post LIS AND still retearing

Postby g09t6844 » 28 Sep 2011, 04:14

Hie
i have two retears all within a week, its now more about 5 weeks post LIS, i know retears are can still occur bt isnt the frequency supposed to be less after surgery. i hav also noticed that when i am stressed i always retear the next day and my doc put me on antidepressants bt still they dnt seem to help, so does this mean i have a super sensitive anus. and wat makes matters worse is this mprin i kinda had diarrhoea, ges its too much dairy plus movicol and yet wen i first startd the bowel movement i retore myself and the rest was jus diarrhoea. till wen am i supposed to live my life like this, i had an examination last friday and everything was perfect, my surgeon said i was healing well. its like wenevr i feel like im strong again and i start being hopeful sth like this happens.
g09t6844
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: 5 weeks post LIS AND still retearing

Postby alpinestrawberry » 28 Sep 2011, 06:21

I feel your pain, Michelle. I think you should give it some more time though. I retore around 4-5 weeks after LIS too. In theory, the muscle should be looser now and any tears you get should hear faster and with less pain.
I'm 6 months after LIS now and still tearing. It totally sucks because I can tell my muscle tightened up again, but the good thing is I don't have as much pain with these new tears as I did before surgery.
Still, I know what you mean about starting to feel hopeful and then getting crushed again. I'm right there with you. Just know your not alone in this...it's not just physically painful and draining, it's an emotionally difficult thing to go through. I certainly cried after this most recent retear.
I don't even want to tell my husband I'm having issues again, I know I put him through hell the last time and he's going to push me to just get another surgery ASAP so we don't go through it all again. I'll tell him when I'm ready, and I'll go back to the surgeon when I'm ready too.
The only thing you can do right now is wait and see, and take some Miralax/Movicol if you're not already. There have been some people on here who retore and went on to heal perfectly without needing another surgery.....and then there are others who need another surgery. It's going to be impossible to know which way you fall until more time passes. I'd say, in 6-12 months if you're still struggling, it's time to see the surgeon again. But until you know more, try not to stress out. This isn't your fault and you are doing everything you can to heal from this. Sometimes sh** just happens.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Sep 2011, 07:35

hi g09t6844, i do recommend that u take vit c with bioflavonoids 1000mg (divide the dosage in 2 times per day) to speed up the healing. Bioflavonoids enhance the vit c and encourages good blood circulation. This can speed up ur healing, faster than u tear urself hopefully. I have tried it and it helped me.
Also, when u passing stools, try this. TAKE DEEP BREATHS throughout. Concentrate on ur breathing and not ur anus. Keep reminding urself to breath deeply. THis helps me a lot too. Reason being when u breathe deeply, ur anus will relax and the anus muscles will push out the stools naturally and gently. Straining occurs together with holding of your breath, so don't do that.
Remember if u have been having ur right diet and water, there's no way it can be harden. Most of the time, it's our tension that cause the anus to tighten thus we tear. So u got to win ur mind over this. DON"T rely on anti-depressants, they are really no gd in the long run. It's ur mind, and u can control and win over it.
ANy questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to help.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Sep 2011, 10:53

Aw, Michelle, I'm so sorry you had a re-tear! Please don't despair too much, though. Fives weeks is still very early in the healing process, and recovery is definitely bumpy for most of us. This could be just a very minor set-back, and since you had the surgery, the new tear should heal up quick if you follow the advice on here (e.g., keeping stools soft and taking baths especially). Vitamin supplements can help too. One thing I'd say that is a bit different is that you should take the anti-depressants if you think you need them. I agree that you should not become dependant on them, but they can help get you over the worst of things. My doc gave me anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, and they really helped. Sometimes we can will ourselvse into a better psychological state, but sometimes we can't and there is nothing wrong with taking meds for the short-term to help you get the psychological end of things back under control. If you think anxiety is contributing to your problem, you can ask you doc about anti-anxiety meds. I am off the meds now because I was able to use them to calm down and start a new routine of meditation and relaxation exercises. Really I think you should do what you think is right for you as far as meds go.
I hope you're feeling better very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby Slocombep » 28 Sep 2011, 12:20

Hey, I am 5 days post surgery so commend all you as i am still in that stage :0.
I suffered with my fissure for close to 8 years so dealt with tears often. You can try a cream called Dr Wheatgrass skin recovery, it is safe for rectal use, and i used to put it up before each bowel movement to help come out quickly, I also put some up after to aid healing.
It seemed to help a lot and although not a cure for muscle spasms that were causing my fissure, i found it helped a lot more than anything else with pain and healing of the open wound.
Best
Slocombep
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?