Need your advice.....Pain due to Recent LIS -HELP PLEASE[

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Need your advice.....Pain due to Recent LIS -HELP PLEASE[

Postby Toby727 » 07 Oct 2011, 16:43

Hi Dawn...I do have a question for you. I am trying to plan on when I can head back into work. At this point I am 9 days out from surgery and can still not have a BM without having to get into warm water to get my muscles to relax. These are still pretty painful but nothing like they have been...thank god for miralax... :)
How long did it take for you to get back to having normal BM's? I am trying to get myself on some form of a scheudle if that is even possible. And one more thing, can you explain the use of a magnesium supplements. I've read a lot of people talk about them and just wasnt sure what the supplement would do to help with the healing.
Toby727
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Rosa M » 07 Oct 2011, 17:14

Yes Dawn, thanks for offering. I have the same questions as Toby
Also i saw that you struggled with discharge even at 8 months after surgery. Did that go away? Sorry to ask this but are your BMs completely normal now like pre fissure days or do you still get nervous or hesitant about going to the bathroom? Did you ever continue to get any spasms after surgery? And I'd like to know how long you had pain. Sorry to make you rehash it all but it would be helpful even though i realize everyone's healing is different.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2011, 17:21

Hey Toby,
It's so hard to say, since everyone seems to be different with all of this, but from my experience between 2 and 3 weeks there was a huge difference in how I felt.
I remember being pretty sore still at day 12( It stands out in my mind because it was Halloween) and then before I could hit the 3 week mark- it was like day and night with how much better I felt. I did have the skin tag removed also so I'm pretty sure that made things sorer for me...
My bm's were much better after my surgery, but I was in pretty bad shape before and just not having shards of glass and tearing was such a relief. Another thing that really helped me was I was able to get a two week RX for a low dose of valium for spasms after my surgery and I honestly believe taking them before my bm's post-op helped me to relax and go to the bathroom without much discomfort. I think a lot of the pain could be from tensing up, but that's just my opinion...
I never used magnesium. I've seen where others have used it too. I'm not sure if that's for the healing, spasms or bm's! Hopefully some of the others can add who use it?!
Hope this helps! :)

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2011, 17:48

Rosa M wrote:Yes Dawn, thanks for offering. I have the same questions as Toby
Also i saw that you struggled with discharge even at 8 months after surgery. Did that go away? Sorry to ask this but are your BMs completely normal now like pre fissure days or do you still get nervous or hesitant about going to the bathroom? Did you ever continue to get any spasms after surgery? And I'd like to know how long you had pain. Sorry to make you rehash it all but it would be helpful even though i realize everyone's healing is different.

Hey Rosa,
I had a problem with leakage after a bm and it has slowly gotten better. It's not like the discharge that you get after surgery. It's like I didn't wipe well the first time after a bm. The main problem with that isn't that it even makes a mess but that it caused irritation from constantly happening. There's a thread "8 months post op and leakage" that you can look at and get an idea of what many of us experienced.
I did have some temporary spasms after surgery- which is pretty rare but can happen. It usually happens with a Hemorrhoidectomy but can happen temporarily after anal surgery. I don't even know how long mine would have lasted because I was given a low dose of valium that worked immediately.
I don't have any pain with bm's. The day after my surgery was better than the day before, and it all did nothing but improve for me. I was sore, like a bruised feeling for 2-3 weeks, but no fissure pain since my surgery! And yes my bm's are completely normal now! Honestly I think they may be better than they were even pre-fissure. Things just seem to flow right out faster.

Postby dwarfs8 » 07 Oct 2011, 19:24

And yes my bm's are completely normal now! Honestly I think they may be better than they were even pre-fissure. Things just seem to flow right out faster.

wow dawn, that's amazing, i'm so glad for u!
Hi toby, i remember from researching before i started taking magnesium supplements myself... Magnesium helps to attract water in the gut, thus it will help to soften the stools. Also, it helps in muscle contraction, thus preventing constipation (by regulating the contraction of your intestinal muscles) and also helps your body muscles to relax. Thus, people often take this at night for better sleep, even for those with migraines or leg cramps (in pregnancy too). This in term helps to reduce spasms which we experienced. If u are taking magnesium oxide, take it an hr before/after you eat, cos it requires the stomach acid for better absorption. A nutritionist told me that if i'm taking magnesium citrate, it doesn't matter though.
I'm taking magnesium oxide 400mg every night before i sleep, and it does help to soften stools and promotes regularity, and my spasms has calmed down as i'm healing.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Toby727 » 10 Oct 2011, 12:11

Hi Everyone,
I am needing some guidance. I am on day 12 post op from LIS. Overall I am feeling pretty good. I can get around pretty good and am able to sit up for awhile at a time but my problem is still with BM's. I am eating well and still taking miralax so I have soft stools. My problem is not necessarily the BM itself but at the end. At the end of empting my bowels I have horrible pain. Its like I am not completly getting empty. Only after sitting in a pan of hot water do my bowels relax enough to release whatever is left, which usually is not much, does this pain go away. I keep hearing everyone talk about not having any pain with BM's and I just want to see if i should be worried by this. Thanks for any advice you can provide
Toby727
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 11 Oct 2011, 15:52

It's not unusual to still have pain after BM's, I had pain after BM's for the best part of 8 months after LIS, and I also had that not empty feeling, don't worry about that it's just the swelling inside the anus it will subside when the swelling has reduced, to be honest your only 12 days post-op so expect some discomfort for a while yet, you may also still get spasms of the sphincter until it finds it's resting place, let's remember it's had a terrible trauma inflicted upon it, give it more time...
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Toby727 » 11 Oct 2011, 19:05

Thanks Steve --- I really appreciate you responding back to me. I know you are right about only being 12 days out but I guess I'm just going through the first of may frustating times of this whole process. I know I need to have patience. This apparently is going to be a long road. Thanks for the support.
Toby727
Fibre Addict

Postby PaulsPain » 11 Oct 2011, 19:50

I also had pain for months after my LIS. Some people are lucky and the LIS instantly gets rid of the spasms. For me, it was a long process where the muscle slowly calmed down over time.
Also, it can take 6-8 weeks for the fissure to heal itself. The LIS just provided the means for it to finally hopefully heal.
Good luck.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 12 Oct 2011, 15:07

I second what Paul said "Some people are lucky and the LIS instantly gets rid of the spasms" .. These are the lucky ones
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45