How to cope after a re-tear

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How to cope after a re-tear

Postby Sarbam » 07 Oct 2011, 11:49

I'm interested in what people do the first few days after a re-tear.
For me, it's an especially tough time, with the pain, hunger, disappointment and frustration
I generally start by taking a bath and cleaning the area thoroughly, then eating very little for a couple of days, perhaps starting to use a little ointment once everything has calmed down slightly.
How do you guys cope? Do you temporarily change your diet? For how long? Do you have any tips/advice?
Sarbam
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: How to cope after a re-tear

Postby val » 07 Oct 2011, 12:30

How long have you had the fissure for? Have you got any of the healing creams?
If you get a retear just treat it like you would the first time - up the stool softeners, take salty baths, up water intake and use the cream again until it heals again.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 07 Oct 2011, 13:43

I re-tore last week after getting complacent and stopped taking Movicol/Miralax. I immediately went back drinking that and took magnesium for the spasms, Vaseline on o to protect it during bm. 3 days later I was fine again.
Just a reminder though to everyone, all this pill popping, cream rubbing, sitz etc....won't resolve the fact that we are not immune to other fissures. LIS looks like that is the only healer as long as you don't have any under lying causes like Chron's etc...
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Sarbam » 07 Oct 2011, 14:37

Thanks - I've had my fissure(s) for about a year and I've had several re-tears.
I have previously been given Rectogesic gel and Regulan sachets (containing mostly psyllium) as a stool softener.
I think the gel helps relax and heal the area, I usually have to wait a couple of days before applying it, because I'm scared of touching the area soon after it has happened.
The stool softener hasn't been as much help though. It's very mild. I saw my doctor today and he has given me Movicol, which I have never tried (but I've heard is more effective).
I think applying Vaseline or similar before a BM is a good idea, and I have used it, but I'm wary of over-moisturising the area and weakening the skin there.
Val, thanks for your advice - although I'm not sure how much sitz baths help me... my fissure is internal (2 or 3 cm into the anal cavity) so I feel like none of the warm water actually touches the area.
Judging by your responses, it doesn't sound like you guys eat less after a tear. Maybe I need to focus on upping stool softeners instead of less food.
The trouble is, I've just become terrified of anything that I fear my give me hard poop, and have started to habitually avoid it.
Sarbam
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 07 Oct 2011, 14:43

If you've had it for a year it is extremely unlikely to heal with creams/baths/diets. You should ask your gp to refer you to a colo-rectal surgeon and get some kind of medical intervention such as LIS, botox ect.
The movicol is very good and should give some relief after a few days.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 07 Oct 2011, 15:22

I second Val. Just consider this too, that prescription creams like Diltiazem also known as Anoheal after longterm use will thin the skin. The vaseline won't cause any problems. Us girls use vaseline on our lips remember when we can't be bothered with lipsticks ;-0 When your fissures are bad, sitting in a hot tub will help ease the pains honestly! I got up to 5/6 a day in the early days! Movicol puts a full stop to hurting whilst passing bms. Good luck and get a referral asap!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sarbam » 07 Oct 2011, 15:45

Thanks -
I was referred to a CRS today. They told me it would probably be seen as a non urgent case, and I would be seen in about 4-6 weeks.
Sarbam
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 07 Oct 2011, 22:45

I wld b eating lesser and more of liquid diets so I can b sure that I have v soft stools. Sithz bath and aloe verA. Try ur best to take pressure off ur bum and lie on ur stomachs instead. I have also lost 7 kg in 6 months, but All these worth for I m almost healed after countless retears.
Hang on!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby of all the places to hurt » 08 Oct 2011, 10:39

Sorry to disagree with Dweerfs8 But, we have to be as healthy as possible and eating less is not the way to go. That will make u constipated and turn you body against you. As for only having a liquid diet?? I tried that in the early days of my fissures and believe me, ur body will still produce hard bms. Stick with the movicol, eat properly, drink and do what ur doing. Just my opinion
Proctosphincteranalogist