New suffering for 6 1/2 years. Please read and reply.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New suffering for 6 1/2 years. Please read and reply.

Postby allen » 17 Oct 2011, 16:49

Hello my name is Allen and I’m 26 year old female. I have been dealing with chronic anal fissures for 6 Ѕ years. It all started many moons ago with a stapled hemorrhoidectomy that went terribly wrong. My internal sphincter muscle started to spasm after the procedure and it was the beginning of an ongoing nightmare. I went under to have some of the staples surgically removed and then I was diagnosed with anal fissures and had a fissurectomy. The fissures didn’t seem to be healing properly and my surgeon quickly suggested a lateral internal sphincterotomy. I went to get a second opinion and was strongly advised not to go through with the surgery and looked into options for testing the sphincter tone.
I had an anorectal manometry and a pudendal nerve motor latency test. The tests showed that my internal sphincter muscle was spasming four times what is normal. The doctor that administered the test looked at my chart and asked that I come see him and that he would figure out a way to improve my quality of life. I tried biofeedback, used a T.E.N.S Unit, every type of rectal cream possible and then I found research online about botox injections. I suggested to try the botox procedure and my surgeon agreed so he ordered the machine, needles and everything necessary to make it happen. It seemed like a dream come true the first time I had a bowel movement without a spasm! I started to heal and about two months after the injections the muscle was back into its routine of spasming so we did another round of injections with Botox Type A. The second time around the botox no longer worked and we were puzzled and disappointed. I had blood work done to find out if I had developed antibodies against Botox Type A and a month later found out that I did. I was extremely lucky because Botox Type B just came on the market and we tried it out and had success again. From my understanding Type A and B are similar, Type B is just a slightly weaker form of Type A and the amount of units administered is adjusted to equal the strength as if I was being given Type A.
I had one year off from the pain and I completely healed and started to live a pain free life and out of nowhere I relapsed. The past year and a half I have gone under anesthesia for examination with botox injections every three months. I had fissures on the left and right side that were surgically removed by fissurectomy along with botox injections in April 2011. The recovery wasn’t easy but I finally had total relief in June and around the three month mark in July the fissures were back again. My surgeon was on the east coast and I had to wait for his return in September to have the next round of botox injections on 9/22/11. Since then I was hospitalized for pain management, examination under anesthesia and was monitored for the blood loss during bowel movements. My surgeon feared that something was terribly wrong but the fissures were just inflamed and I was sent home with pain medication and hydrocortisone acetate suppositories. The past few days have been manageable with slight burning during bowel movements.
I have been a compliant patient and have incorporated a high fiber diet, lots of water, colace stool softeners into my daily regiment. I feel like I’m running out of options so I’m hoping by posting on this discussion board I can gain some knowledge of alternative treatments. I appreciate any ideas in advance and I hope that my story will shed some light on testing available etc. I’m seeing my surgeon in the morning and I really hope there is some improvement with the fissures.
Sincerely,
Allen
Last edited by allen on 18 Oct 2011, 07:37, edited 2 times in total.
allen

Topics: 1

Re: New suffering for 6 1/2 years. Please read and reply.

Postby TonyStone » 17 Oct 2011, 17:50

Please read my post about my LIS surgery under "have had or are considering surgery"
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby shakeit » 26 Oct 2011, 15:53

Hi Allen
I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rocky time. From what I have read it seems like as the fissurectomy takes away flesh it takes a while to recover, it seems more so than LIS by reading posts on here. If you still have spasms, maybe its worth talking to your surgeon about the LIS surgery, as otherwise how long can you keep on the Botox. It should relieve the pressure the test said you had.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby alpinestrawberry » 26 Oct 2011, 16:42

OMG Allen,
You've been through so much and you're so young! I can't believe your surgeon continues to do Botox over and over--Botox is NOT a permanent solution for the muscle spasms--it wears off after awhile and you're back to square one. Maybe it works for some people but if it was going to work for you, IT WOULD HAVE BY NOW! Fissurectomies also don't seem to turn out as well for people as just having the LIS.
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I don't know who advised against surgery, but if your tests showed that you had a tight sphincter, then the surgery is your best option for permanent healing.
There isn't one complaint on these boards of incontinence, and the surgery is far less painful than hemorrhoid surgery is reported to be.
I think it's time to see a new surgeon, and reconsider having the surgery, because after 6.5 years and multiple rounds of botox, there really aren't any other options (sorry Image ).
What you can do in the meantime is ditch the Colace--it's pretty useless altogether--and try Miralax. You'll have to play with the dosage to find what works for you, but it is so much more effective than Colace. Another thing is that if you are taking a fiber supplement like Metamucil, you may want to try another supplement that isn't as bulk-forming, like Citrucel or Benefiber. Metamucil has caused big stools and retears for a lot of us on here.
I suffered for five years with my fissures before I had the surgery. I didn't have (or need) any fancy tests to tell me I had a tight a**hole, the surgeon could tell just by examining me and I was SO GLAD he didn't suggest trying Botox before having the surgery. Botox just doesn't seem to really help too many people in the long run. Out of all the people on this board there is maybe one or two Botox success stories.
Good luck with your appointment!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here