New Guy...1, 2, AND 3 week post-op report

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New Guy...1 week post LIS report

Postby Away PITA! » 26 Oct 2011, 15:04

What a long, strange trip it's been. First let me say thanks to those of you who have been so supportive. It's made a HUGE difference.
I'm a week post-op and I can already happily say "why didn't I do this sooner". I'm just now starting to realize how much my fissures were having a negative impact on my quality of life. The anxiety and mild depression are just now becoming clear to me. Why did I put up with these fissures for years?
So what about the LIS experience? Well the surgery itself went well. My pain meds (I didn't use much) made me slightly constipated. That sucked. I got a thrombosed hemmy the day after surgery. That REALLY, REALLY sucked. Had to revisit the CRS after 5 days to have it excised. The pain from the hemmy was 5x worse than the pain from LIS recovery. My CRS said sometimes the hemmies just happen after surgery down there (but not too often). Lucky me. My first and all BM's after LIS were MUCH less painful (even being slightly constipated and having the thrombosed hemmy) than the weeks leading up to surgery. My pre-op BM's were a 6-8 on the pain scale (1-10) and now they are a 1-2. I'm having no problem "leaking" or with gas issues. Not to say I won't but I haven't yet.
My advice for those of you thinking about LIS:
1. If your fissure is chronic and really painful...do it sooner rather than later.
2. Find a CRS with a lot of experience. Shop around until you find somebody you feel good about. Not a general surgeon, a CRS.
3. Avoid pain meds if at all possible. Stick with OTC stuff if you can take it.
4. Keep your post-op diet really healthy, drink lots of water, and take the stool softener that works for you.
5. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get back to work/life. Let your body heal. But do move around some...blood flow is good.
6. Share your experience here. It's cheaper than therapy and can help others.
So that's my story. But don't worry, I'll be around to share my next few weeks and help those dealing with their own PITA!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: New Guy...1, 2, AND 3 week post-op report

Postby linda » 26 Oct 2011, 17:26

This is such great advice !!!
Advice #5, take it easy...I am 5 days post-op today and felt so good I decided to go out and run some errands yesterday, bad idea. Last night I had these crazy "zings" in my butt that went on for about 2 hours. I don't know what it was other than a higher power telling me to slow the hell down!
Advice #6, post your story here...I immediately came on this site to see if others had this happen, and I saw where some people did so that really made me not so concerned. I took it easy today and feel much better tonight.
I'm so glad you are feeling better. Isn't it great to be part of the "I wish I did it sooner" club Image
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby jenny2 » 26 Oct 2011, 17:51

very great advice for anyone having lis surgery. i didnt realize what pita meant until i read your post. lol... pita is the truth, a nightmare... :)
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby TonyStone » 26 Oct 2011, 19:41

I am about 4 or 5 weeks out and still get some occational "shocks" down in the buttel region. Nothing like before surgery.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

2 Weeks post LIS...Minor setback

Postby Away PITA! » 02 Nov 2011, 06:37

Had my 2 week post-op appointment. Man did my CRS do a complete (and somewhat painful) inspection. He said I'm healing really well and that my main fissure (one of two) is already much "shallower" than it used to be. I have another follow-up scheduled for 3 weeks from now.
Strange thing is that I'm having pain and bleeding again. I guess that is my muscle beginning to retighten. I've read that you get really loose for a bit and then as the "cut" the CRS makes heals you tighten up a bit. So your resting pressure goes way down for a bit then comes back to "normal" but not to "extra tight/spasm". Anyway, it's a bit disheartining to have a pain free week and now have pain and blood again. Thoughts? I suppose I'm just being impatient.
Overall, still happy I'm taking a proactive approach. But a little discouraged... Image
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2011, 11:13

Away,
I'd bet money that the exam caused the blood. I have no idea why a CRS would be so rough with your first exam. :roll: Most just gently take a peek.
I doubt your muscle is tightening any if much at 2 weeks post -op.

3 week check-in

Postby Away PITA! » 09 Nov 2011, 09:02

Wow. What a difference a week makes. I haven't had more than REALLY short, REALLY mild fissure pain in about 5 days. Even during BM's. My bleeding is VERY slight if any folling a BM. I'm having minimal trouble with "gas control". I'm still sticking to my high fiber, blandish diet. Still taking my Colace before bed every night. And still drinking a lot of water. Still haven't resumed full physical activities but am adding a little more every couple days (still haven't gotten back to running just yet). I remain cautiously optimistic, but overall, I'm very happy and feel very fortunate to be feeling so much better. I want this for ALL of my fellow AF patients! Keep fighting the good fight friends!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather