Worried about the surgery and confused about the post-op?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Worried about the surgery and confused about the post-op?

Postby Morningstar » 09 Nov 2011, 18:29

Well, basically I have been suffering the anal fissure for about year and a half always hoping I am going to heal miraculously. I tried Nifedipine as well as 2 Botox injections, and while I feel MUCH better I am 32 and this is no way to live for the rest of my life.
I don't really have pain during BM but I have some when sitting on hard surfaces for a prolong period of time and especially after intercourse! Strangely enough, I also feel a very annoying twinge when I lie in bed on my back!
I am mostly worried that since I waited such a long time I have a lot of scar tissue built up that will prevent me form healing even with LIS? Should I maybe consider Fissurectomy together with the LIS or did many members do well with LIS only even after waiting for such a long time?
Also after LIS is it better to rest or to be active (to promote blood flow) or it doesn’t matter either way? What about sexual intercourse, I don't mind the pain but does it slow down the healing process (Due to sphincter spasms?)
Should I use Miralax after surgery (my doc wasn't really for it, he recommended Metamucil). How about baby wipes, I never used them but read that some people recommend them?
Most of all what should I ask my CRS to make sure he is the one I want performing surgery on me? I am having a consultation tomorrow, so any and all advice is appreciated!
Thank you all,
Morningstar
Morningstar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Worried about the surgery and confused about the post-op?

Postby Savaici » 09 Nov 2011, 20:08

These are some questions that Dawn suggested in her goodbye post:
1) How many LIS your surgeon has done- mine said more than she could count
(this sounded good to me)
2) Have they ever made anyone incontinent- this should be NEVER
3) ask if anyone has developed infection/ fistulas because of the surgery- this should be a low number. Mine said maybe 2.
4) ask about there success with the surgery- mine said 90%. She said there was a 10% chance of needing it again.
5) ask anything that makes you feel comfortable about this surgery- pain meds, anesthesia, recovery time, what exactly will be done- just LIS, or fissurectomy, tag removed, etc...
Good luck tomorrow with your consultation!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222