fissurectomy vs LIS 2 CRS surgeons - different opinions?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

fissurectomy vs LIS 2 CRS surgeons - different opinions?

Postby phxman » 14 Nov 2011, 16:36

so i have a doctor in phoenix and one in costa rica with conflicting opinions.
PHX doctor says I should get a fissurectomy. I'm inclined to take her advice since I would think the US is more ahead of Costa Rica in terms of technique. PHX doctor reasoning was that my fissure is not old enough to require a sphincterectomy.
Costa Rica one says fissurectomies are outdated that they should only be done with a sphincterectomy (cut/nick the small sphincter to relax tension) and said that I could even check with mayoclinic about this (fissurectomies no longer being recommended)
of course just the fissurectomy sounds better since they don't have to cut the sphincter and no chance of incontinence. but if I get the surgery done in Costa Rica it's cheaper.
Has anyone else had this experience or by chance any CRS doctors out there that could chime in on their opinions? Should I chose the LIS in Costa Rica instead cause it has more chance of healing?
phxman

Topics: 2

Re: fissurectomy vs LIS 2 CRS surgeons - different opinions?

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011, 17:34

Hey there,
As far as I know there are no CRS's in this forum... Image
I can only speak from experience with what I've been told or read in here... My CRS here in the US also told me that fissurectomies are old and she didn't do them. There have been quite a few people in here who have had them with LIS and just a few, not many who have had a fissurectomy without LIS or with Botox.
I personally wouldn't want a fissurectomy but if I did, I would want LIS or either Botox along with it. A fissurectomy does cut out the fissure or smooth down the scar tissue, but LIS relaxes the muscle which allows blood flow where it can heal. A fissurectomy is generally done on a older fissure that does have scar tissue, so I'm really not understanding your Phoenix CRS on saying your fissure isn't old enough for LIS but it is for a fissurectmoy Image I guess it all depends on the CRS but it sounds like to me that the Costa Rica one makes more sense in my opinion.
Also wanted to mention-I and a few others had our fissures cauterized along with LIS-which serves the same purpose as a fissurectomy and smoothing down scar tissue. All have had pretty good recoveries as far as I know with this procedure and seems a lot less painful than most who had a fissurectomy...
Good Luck making your decision! I did a lot of reading in this forum before having my LIS.