My experiences with Botox, creams etc for anal fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My experiences with Botox, creams etc for anal fissures

Postby Deleted User 1021 » 13 Nov 2011, 23:05

Hi all,
This site was a great help to me in the midst of my anal fissure pain so I thought I would report back on what has worked for me.
My anal fissure started 8 months ago when I commenced a course of the antibiotic minocyclin for an auto-immune condition called sarcoidosis. I had no history of constipation - only an occasional loose stool.
Anyway the Retrogesic cream prescribed by my doctor gave me instant relief but it did not last long. I tried zinc based creams, witchhazel, wheatgrass balm, vitamin E oil, steroid creams, terrasil cream and manuka honey to no avail.
Had the Botox injection 6 months ago which made the pain a lot worse. It seemed to relax the anal sphincter so I ended up with prolapsed hemmorhoids, gas and slight anal incontinence. The botox has only just worn off so these issues have now resolved. Had a colonoscopy and my doctor said if the botox did not work then neither would the surgery.
About a month ago my doctor stopped the minocyclin and pronto the fissure started to heal. I also started using a cream called "Totally Anal" which is based on aloe vera, burdock, goldenseal, coconut oil etc. I'm sure it has helped.
My fissure is not totally healed but I can certainly manage the small amount of discomfort it gives me. For relief I still use the hot bath, sitting on a hot pack, the Retrogesic ointment and a pain-relieving patch called Salon Pas which is a god send.
Hope this helps others going through this awful condition.
Liz
Deleted User 1021

Re: My experiences with Botox, creams etc for anal fissures

Postby dwarfs8 » 14 Nov 2011, 04:07

Congrats on getting better! Continue on your good regime and as time passes, may your pains pass on too!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Sue1962 » 14 Nov 2011, 11:52

Hi Liz
I am a bit confused. Are you saying your Dr said if the Botox didn't work...LIS won't work either??? From what I have read here, many have had Botox and it didn't work and then had the LIS and are glad they did. Worked like a charm. Congrats on healing!!
Last edited by Sue1962 on 14 Nov 2011, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot a word in the sentence
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 1021 » 14 Nov 2011, 15:54

Hi Sue,
Yes that it was he said - if the Botox did not work then the LAS would not either. At the time I was a bit miffed that he said he could do nothing else for me.
Liz
Deleted User 1021

Postby dwarfs8 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:23

That's bullshit really... Probably u shld find another CRS! FYI, my CRS has nv suggested botox, only lis
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19