Removing the plug

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Removing the plug

Postby Jojo1 » 17 Nov 2011, 04:04

I have a quedyion and have not had the patience to search the posts. Did you remove the gauze plug before yout first bm?
My surgery was Tuesday afternoon and I haven't had a bm yet. Really thought I would considering the majority of my small intestine is bypassed. My concern is the plug. It's not painful or too uncomfortable, but is it intended to be in this long? Wondering if I dhould try to remove it. May not have much choice as I havent been able to feel it or see it when I examine the area, so it must be in far. I'm gonna call the doc, but wanted to hear from you guys.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Removing the plug

Postby Guest » 17 Nov 2011, 09:15

Jojo,
I did remove mine but it wasn't inside. Mine was just pressed against the outside. Did you get any post-op instructions on removing the packing? I think it will be fine until you have a bm though.
Some folks had no packing and some had packing that dissolved. It should be fine if it's not making you uncomfortable, then I wouldn't worry about it until your bm.

Re: Removing the plug

Postby Jojo1 » 17 Nov 2011, 11:54

Well, I have the plug, plus a pad just taped to ny rear. They said to remove/replace the pad as needed, but that the plug would come out with the first movement. Replaced the pad that night and changed it a couple times. Haven't padded since yesterday, but know I may need to once the plug comes out.
Still on poop watch . . . nothin yet.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34