Retears after LIS, how common?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Retears after LIS, how common?

Postby Jojo1 » 19 Nov 2011, 07:40

Hello all;
Question, is it a given that there will be retears after LIS?
I am four dwys out from surgery, so I know it is still extremely early. I've not had pain or bleeding with a bm yet, but I know it is to be expectef. However, I've seen folks tell of retears after weeks or months following LIS, but have also heard LIS referred to as a "permanent" fix.
So I am curious to know how common retears are afterward. Will it happen no matter how careful I am, or, for those of you who have had retears, can you trace the reason . . . not eating right, not drinking enough water, illness, etc.?
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Retears after LIS, how common?

Postby Guest » 19 Nov 2011, 18:20

No actually , it's not a given for everybody.... There's tons of threads in the surgery post. It doesn't appear that all have re-tears... I never had a re-tear. Today is a year and a month since my LIS...

Re: Retears after LIS, how common?

Postby alpinestrawberry » 22 Nov 2011, 07:28

Jojo, I really think there's just a handful of us over the years of posts here that have had further problems. As with anything, YMMV.
As far as identifying underlying problems that cause my retears, my monthly cycle seems to be the biggest culprit right now, which I detailed in my 'for the ladies' post a week or so ago. If anything it makes me glad I'm a girl and that I have regular periods so that there's a predictable pattern...I can't always prevent a retear, like this month it happened because I'd had a stomach flu right before my period. But usually if I know it's coming I can take steps to avoid it.
It's been 8 months since my LIS and I'm still hopeful that eventually things will toughen up down there, but I think my sphincter has tightened up since the surgery and overall it just doesn't stretch as well as it used to before I ever had a fissure. So I have to be careful. But again, YMMV, and although you should still be careful and take Miralax and watch your diet, I wouldn't worry about a retear if it should happen. Because most likely it will heal in a matter of days instead of sticking around to torment you for weeks.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17