21 year old male with two fissures (that I can tell)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

21 year old male with two fissures (that I can tell)

Postby djf08e » 26 Nov 2011, 13:42

Hello,
I am a 21 year old male and for the last few months (approximately 3 - 4) I have had two obvious fissures, and possibly a third that I cannot see directly. The two that are visible are on the lining of my hole, one on the top and one on the bottom. I'm sure you can imagine how painful that must be but I feel a bit discouraged when I read all of these postings from people having this problem for years at a time. I want to go to a CRS to have surgery however I am recently unemployed and have no health insurance what-so-ever, which is the most unfortunate fact. I have a BM nearly every other day, although I have a proper diet and take metamucil daily. I'm glad that its not every day because it usually gets so irritated and painful afterwards that i'm bed ridden for nearly the rest of the day/night. I take baths twice a day, one when I wake up and one when I go to bed, and usually take my bath after my BM to keep it clean. For the past week solid I have been leaking what looks to be platelets and this makes it extremely itchy and covers most of the surface of the fissures with yellow sticky fluid. I bought a product on amazon called Lidocream which is 4% lidocaine but I am too afraid to use it on an open wound as it may burn and cause further irritation. I have been waiting for me to get a decent job so that I may get surgery to take care of it finally but my last attempt failed as I lost the job. If there is anyone that can make any suggestions, please let me know. Its a constant pain in the a$$ daily.
djf08e

Topics: 1

Re: 21 year old male with two fissures (that I can tell)

Postby Haley » 27 Nov 2011, 00:25

Hi djf08e,
I felt the same way when I first joined this forum - but then somebody rightfully said - most of the people who heal disappear from here. It makes sense...
I think it is worth trying to heal on your own before surgery, I think its worth trying everything. I just found a good article that sums up everything I'm trying and a few things I'm not, a really good success story - I will post it below:
-x-x-x-x-x
Back in 2007 I was in agonising pain with an anal fissure. After 8 months of agony, I honestly believed my fissure would never go away and that I would be forced to have surgery on it. The pain was so bad that when I went to the toilet - (which felt like I was passing sharp pieces of glass) - I used to think I would pass out. It was ruining my life. I felt hopeless and depressed.
Well, I have been clear of pain for almost two years now. I do get the odd setback from time to time, where I feel that the fissure might tear again, but I believe I have a method to keep it under control.
So here is my personal method to help cure anal fissures...
1) Each healthily, avoid fatty foods, and eat plenty of insoluble fiber (such as vegetables and cereal/bran.)
This will not cure the fissure but it will keep you regular and prevent you from getting constipated. If you've got a fissure, or have had one, you must avoid constipation at all costs! I ate and still eat a large bowl of Bran Flakes every morning for breakfast. Sprinkle All Bran on the top for even more fiber. With every evening meal, I made sure to include vegetables, especially root mash (which is basically sweet potato, turnips/parsnips, swedes, etc, mashed up like mashed potatoes ... it's a good way of eating lots of insoluble fiber if you don't really like green veg much.) I personally found that soluble fiber, such as fruit and beans, made no difference at all. It had to be insoluble fiber, which the body cannot digest and therefore passes out more quickly. If you absolutely hate veg and cereal, try taking fiber supplements such as Fibergel.
2) Drink plenty of water.
This is very important as it helps keep your stools soft. Try to drink a large 1.5 or 2 litre bottle of water per day. I find it difficult to drink large amounts of liquid, so I keep the bottle with me and sip throughout the day.
3) Take two magnesium tablets (300mg each) every single day.
THIS STEP IS ESSENTIAL! Discovering magnesium on a forum was a godsend to me. I can't explain how it works but it definitely softens the stools. I take one tablet after my evening meal, and another tablet before I go to bed. Magnesium was THE lifesaver for me!
4) Take three stool softeners, morning, evening and night (docusate sodium 100mg per tablet).
Again, this is another essential step in healing your fissure. It makes your stools paste-like so that you can safely go to the toilet without further damaging the fissure. In the UK I buy a brand called DulcoEase. You can buy them from any chemist or large supermarket. If you still feel your stools are hard, increase the tablets to 4 per day. (According to the instructions, 4 per day is the maximum.)
5) Use a tiny amount of Rectogesic cream applied three times a day.
All you need is about 1/2 - 1 cm of cream (the size of the tip of your little finger.) Make sure you thoroughly wash your hands with anti-bacterial wash before you insert the cream. Use your littlest finger as that's less painful to insert. Be prepared - it stings!!! If you use too much you will get bad headaches. Some people stop using it because of headaches, and that's a shame, because this stuff really does help. Basically it relaxes the sphincter / rectum muscles so that the stool can pass more easily. If you're getting headaches, try using less until you find an amount you can tolerate, but do stick with it. It will help! In the UK you can only get Rectogesic Ointment with a prescription from a doctor. I did not want the doctor looking at my bum! So I discovered that you can buy it from online pharmacies based in Australia without a prescription. International shipping is very expensive - but I decided any price was worth paying if it got rid of the pain!
6) Use quality toilet paper!
Poor quality rough toilet paper irritates the fissure even more. Baby wipes are a better alternative and they keep the area clean. I recommend the brand 'Simple' as they are un-perfumed and designed for sensitive skin. When you go to the toilet, be very gentle wiping yourself.
7) Take hot shallow baths.
After you've been to the toilet, you may feel extremely sore (I used to feel an awful throbbing pain) - so jump into a hot shallow bath, just enough water to cover your hips. The hot water will make your sphincter muscle relax. Do not add anything to the water, as that may cause further irritation. A bath is also a good idea as it keeps the fissure clean (and going to the toilet can be a bit messy with all those stool softeners!)
I consider all of the above as essential in the process of healing my own anal fissure - not individually, but all 7 tips combined together on a regular basis.
After at least 8 months of excruciating pain, I developed this regime, stuck to it strictly, and within a week started to feel a difference. I was going to the toilet regularly, my stools were soft enough not to stretch the fissure, and the pain was going away.
Please give it a try for yourself. It's a long process and you have to be patient - but you will start to feel better eventually.
After a few weeks, or even months, when you feel confident the fissure is healing well, you can alter the regime...
First, cut back the Rectogesic cream - use smaller and smaller amounts, and apply only once a day, until you can stop it completely.
Second, cut back on the stool softeners (they can alter your potassium levels after prolonged use). Eventually get yourself down to just one a day.
Continue to take 2 magnesium tablets a day. I still take them, 2 years later. I always will take them! They will not cause any harm; magnesium is no more harmful than taking calcium or any other vitamin/mineral supplement. In the UK you can buy them very cheaply from Morrisons supermarket. Chemists like Boots are expensive.
Also continue to drink plenty of fluids.
A few more tips...
- To sooth and cool the pain, try applying generous amount of Dr Chris's Wheatgrass Cream twice a day (not at the same time as the Rectogesic cream.) The natural Wheatgrass is supposed to help the skin heal quickly. It didn't do a great deal for me personally, but other people believe it to be a great help.
- Avoid eating anything containing seeds or nuts (such as strawberries, kiwi fruit, almond nuts). Seeds and nuts don't always digest, and if you pass them out whole, they could prick into the fissure, potentially re-opening it. I used to eat a lot of kiwi fruit, believing it would help me go to the toilet - but then I realised that I was passing the seeds in my stools. I could see them on the toilet paper! I cut them out of my diet and felt there was an improvement.
- Before you go to the toilet for a bowel movement, try putting some Vaseline around the anus (if it doesn't hurt too much, insert it a little way into the anus with your little finger.) This lubrication will make the stool a bit easier to pass. You must thoroughly wash your hands before applying the Vaseline, and only use a brand new tub of Vaseline (you don't want to add any bacteria to your fissure as it's trying to heal.) After you've been to the toilet, wipe the Vaseline away with a baby wipe, or soak in a shallow bath. You must keep the fissure clean. KY Kelly is another alternative, but I didn't find it as effective.
- When you go to the toilet, you must concentrate, and make sure you don't strain. I used to deep breathe to help me relax on the toilet. Take your time in the bathroom and try to control the speed of the bowel movement. The last thing you need is to be at work and have to use a public toilet - with people waiting outside! So I got myself into the routine of drinking a glass of hot water first thing in the morning. It starts the digestive system working, and, within half an hour, I usually went to the toilet. At least that way I felt I had got the pain over and done with for the rest of the day.
Unfortunately a bad anal fissure leaves the skin in that area weakened. You might have a skin tag there. From then on it's susceptible to being torn again. In some ways I've had to make slight lifestyle changes to keep it at bay - always taking magnesium, drinking plenty of water, and making sure I eat enough insoluble fiber. After your fissure has healed, you must keep a check on it. The moment you feel any pain, or your stools seem hard, take action to prevent it! This means increase your water and fiber intake, and start taking the DulcoEase stool softeners again. In fact, always have a supply of stool softeners for emergencies! If you do that quickly enough, you should nip-it-in-the-bud in time.
Please feel free to copy and paste this article onto any other forums where people are suffering with this awful problem.
Good luck to everyone trying to overcome their anal fissure! I hope so much that some of my tips will ease your pain too...
-x-x-x-x-x
Haley
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: 21 year old male with two fissures (that I can tell)

Postby dwarfs8 » 27 Nov 2011, 08:22

Hi Harley, thanks for the tips, they are very similar to my regime which has helped me to heal my fissure of 5months. It sure needs a lot of determination and it also depends on the severity of each fissure.
Where did u find these tips btw? Very familiar..
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19